• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seabee bulldozer???

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jim's right but then actually....isn't the towing wight even MORE than the gvw for cargo in the bed??? I wanna say it is????:-?
Right, GVCW around 72,000lbs (22,000 vehicle+10ton cargo+30k trailer w/load). You could also think of it as 25tons of cargo and trailer.

Probably a conservative rating too, and with a low max speed, like 45mph for the 813. Not very hard on brakes. I think the steepest downgrades are the only area that would stress them, grades so steep, or perhaps better said as long, that they are hard to find on the east side of the country.

72K is 8000 less than a 18wheeler big rig, but then most 15t trailers will have at least 8 tires so your 5 ton MV will be a 18wheeler too (assuming you run duals). That is a lot of capacity.

The big difference with commercial big rig is they run a lot of manifold pressure(intercooled turbo). Big rig HP ratings typically range from 300-600hp stock and can approach 900hp hopped up. Or maybe it is the handful of gears in the shifter?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note Seabee emblem on the door! Really cool stuff, you never know what the Navy will have.

southdave

I belive the pic was take within the last year this stuff is on it way preposition base in spain or diego garcia, notice the lack of cargo on most of the trucks and numbers on the doors the full pic shows trucks and equip. going all the to front of the ship

billb32780

I was in MCB-40 in the 70's and we used a lot of IHC TD-20 dozers.Had a D8 and an old Euclid(pony motor).Every truck and piece of equipment was painted O.D. green-NO navy gray!Also yellow seabee emblem stenciled(painted) on each side.Everything also had a "beep" sticker on it to tell which battalion it belonged to.

big b

South Dave thoes are 7 ton MTVR trucks built by oshkosh pulling xl cheeter trailers i think thoes are the 70 ton with hyd. detach great trailer when i was just getting to acb1 from cbu 417 in 2003 we got 4 of thoes but the troop trucks big and fun to drive but i broke one within 2 hours of getting them off the lowboy from oshkosh. As for painting dozers i painted one at cbu 417 it was a d-4 and we had a semi gloss olive green to paint it with. The tie down points where yellow.

NEIOWA

Chris,

I love that engineer equipment. Anybody can get a commercial dozer and paint it but what I would try and find was a tractor unique to the Seabee mission.

In the 1960's the Navy purchased the Eimco Dozer. It was a medium speed tractor with dozer and had hydraulics to pull a scraper. They were powered by a Detroit Diesel like an 8V71. Engine was rear mounted and the operator sat forward. They were the same size class as the Army D7E tractors.

We had a surplus one at the county highway dept were I worked summers in the Mid 1970's. It was Navy grey and had Seabee logo's on both sides. I ran it some in the quarry and we had an MSHA inspector check on us. He was Ex Seabee and ran them in Vietnam. We got along great as long as I let him take it for a spin when he was at our site. I wish I had a picture of the dozer now.

The twin exhaust stacks angled up to the rear. Everyone said they looked like two 4.2 Mortar tubes.

The dozers were pretty scarry to run because you sat so far forward. They were hydraulic steer and the tracks could counter rotate. Scare the crap out of you if you were not careful going on or off the lowboy.

They still turn up. Kevin at Army Cars USA had one last year. Don't know who has it now.

Now that would be a cool show rig. You find one and I'll come run it.

Good Luck

Cat Man :-D

Mil surplus 1966 EIMCO sold. 1966 EIMCO 103MC Dozers - Crawler For Auction At MachineryTrader.com&

rwhendrix

Hi, I know this thread is old, but I have an Allis Chalmers HD5 bulldozer and would like to paint it up in WW2 paint. Im trying to decide between Army or Navy Seabee paint and markings. Are both olive drab? I thought the navy used another color maybe? What about markings in WW2. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

rwhendrix

Thanks. I know that the army used some HD7s and lend lease to the Russians as well. I dont think the Navy used any Allis dozers in Pacific theater of WW2, but I thought it might look good painted up as one anyway. Mostly wondering on if the Navy used olive drab or another color instead.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one of those Clark Bulldozers but it was in really rough shape. I sold it to a friend of my dad’s who is fixing it up. I guess he has a lot done with it and rebuilt the engine and such. It runs and drives now so that’s a lot more than I would have done with it. That thing was way more than I wanted to get in to. I know the rear winches are rare and this one was missing.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last summer I purchased a 1942 D4 5T hydraulic bulldozer with adjustable angle blade...you can still see the original OD Green underneath the flaking yellow; I was under the impression that it was former Army, but now I'm scratching my head and wondering if it might have been with the SeaBees. Wouldn't that be cool!

1942_Cat_C4-5T_Dozer_03.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks