• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a Deuce! '62 M35A1

DavidWymore

Ole cruddy water truck (which we need at the shop, hence the excuse to get it) :-D but it's so old and cruddy I wonder if it's worth messing with. :oops: What and where should I look for to see what I'm in for? I'll take pics and post 'em for the experts.

Disclaimer : I'm newish to deuces but not to working on stuff, or old stuff.

Thanks

Last edited:

DavidWymore

When I looked at it before I was guessing by looking at it that it was old enough to be a gasser which I was hoping for simplicity's sake but I think I saw an injection pump. Probably not a piece of cake to get running again eh?

BugEyeBear

When I looked at it before I was guessing by looking at it that it was old enough to be a gasser which I was hoping for simplicity's sake but I think I saw an injection pump. Probably not a piece of cake to get running again eh?
It all depends on whether or not it was running when stored, how long it was stored, if it was stored "properly", and what has been done to it while it has been sitting (i.e. attempts to "fix" it, parts scavenged, etc.).

Take a bunch of pictures (engine bay, underneath, trans, xfer, all PTOs, front & back of all axles, and the inside of each wheel).
Look for missing parts.
Look for leaks.
Look for anything that has been "Jerry Rigged".
Look for rust thru areas.

This is the right place to get help.
You'll get free advice, suggestions, & opinions.
Some of this will be worth what you paid for it (free), & some of it will be invaluable & will save you both time & money.

I'm looking forward to seeing it!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every deuce is worth messing with if the price is right. I bought a fuel truck one time (close to the same as a water truck) that was almost completly rusted out, no axles, and didn't run. All I wanted was the t-case PTO but I got plenty of other good parts also. If the price is right and the truck is junk you could always buy a M35A2 and swap the tank over if you need a water truck.

DavidWymore

The price is right and the deuce is a little better than I expected.

Has turbo, tank actually not too rusted out.

Front axle is Rockwell, should have U-joints, right?

Looks like it's been conv to 12v? I didn't think to take a pic of the starter. :roll:

No data plate but got the numbers off the frame. They tell me anything?

Looks like a manual shift t-case. I like that for simplicity. Thoughts?

I don't know why the pics aren't showing up. I used the IMG code from phbckt.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's up with the springs in pic 14? That's way more springs than came on a deuce :shock:. You may already know this but the tank isn't military. I'm not sure the truck dosen't have a sprag (automatic) t-case. The air switches under the dash are different than what's on a air-shift. Like I said above, if the price is right I'd buy it. It has had alot of mods though.

DavidWymore

I thought those springs were odd, but couldn't think what exactly they were supposed to look like.

As far as mods, well, we're gonna use it for a water truck, so it is what it is. I know it's not as cool as al original mil but at least it's a deuce and I can drive it around the yard and pretend it's cool. I htink the air shifters might be for water valves. I didn't really look.

As far as the t-cas,e there's a lever and what looks like and air line or speedo? going to it. pic 19 shows 'em. The cab end of the shifter is home-brew.

gunboy1656

I would bet the springs were their way to compensate for the larger water tank.

Definitely looks like it will need a bit of work. But at the same time all the parts are available to fix her up.

Enjoy it.

mckeeranger

What's up with the springs in pic 14? That's way more springs than came on a deuce :shock:. You may already know this but the tank isn't military. I'm not sure the truck dosen't have a sprag (automatic) t-case. The air switches under the dash are different than what's on a air-shift. Like I said above, if the price is right I'd buy it. It has had alot of mods though.
There also appears to be some kind of reinforcing welded to the bottom of the frame in picture 15. Welding on a frame isn't a good idea. It changes the characteristics of the metal.

I'm not saying it's going to hurt in this case, just keep an eye on the frame around the welds when you service the truck. You may see some cracking sometime in the future, although if it hasn't cracked yet, it's not likely to be a problem.

DavidWymore

Yeah, I noticed the "reinforcements", which is why I took the pic. I'm pretty familiar with ins and outs of frame welding, I run a machine and weld shop. This isn't very impressive but I'm not too worried about it. Main concern is, wheat are the frames made of? Mild steel or T1 or something? Less of an issue with mild.

DavidWymore

OK, got it to the shop. A cummins 5.9 does move a deuce around OK. :wink: Now to study the fuel sys, drain it, try to get some fresh to it. Been sittng a few years...

DavidWymore

Will do. I forgot to get pics of the move. Doh!

These TMs aren't very reader friendly. Is there anything else for info out there, fuel sys basics?

BugEyeBear

Be sure to look thru the TROUBLESHOOTING MANUALS (available in the wiki, or via Deuce FAQ link)

There is a pretty good section in there for the Fuel System.

(Hopefully you've already discovered this!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks