• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1944 cckw slc.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35 bed on it, that subtracts HUGE value. Also if it needs tires, thats almost $3000 investment right there. Still seems to be a nice truck.

paulfarber

Its not a 1944. Closed cab trucks stopped completely in early 43. Its got the later closed cab style 'military' dash.

Not sure on the price but $3k is SKY high if you want to restore it.

Bed - early steel.. good luck finding one. Sept 43 on wooden (not impossible).
Tires, $2200
Gas tank is wrong, side vents are off a Chevy, and there is a PTO lever in the cab, yet no winch.... HUGE minus.

Would like to see the engine bay.

For a runner... OK. As a restored CCKW pass. As a candidate to restore... RUN!

The only thing going for it is the banjo axles.

Last edited:

nkawtg

Other than not being correct, how much difference is there between the beds? Other than minor things (number of tailgate hinges, position of the cover tie downs, etc.), it appears visually "OK." Is the width similar?? I don't know about the price, but it sure looks good. Salt Lake to Detroit would be a fun drive at 45mph!!

Brian Thomas

This is why the forums are so great! I have no idea of whos it is but when the weather is good I will call the guy and go take a look at it and get some pictures and post them here for you guys. I just looked at it in the ad and he want 6? grand.

paulfarber

If you want to restore the truck you need the SN off the frame. Its usually above the passenger side tire on the frame... you may have to look for it because it can be anywhere on the frame arch above the tire. It should resemble CCKW 353 - XXXXXX - XX.

The part between the 353 and the - can tell you when the frame was manufactured (will let you know what the cab, brakes, engine, bed should be) and the part after the dash will tell you the body type and axle type (was is originally a dumper, an air compressor, fuel truck, cargo, etc).

As for the differences between an M series bed and a CCKW bed they are minor:

Notch for gas cap (depends on what type of bed).
8 inches to wide
Front side is a little different.
Tailgate is a little different
No tool box on rear sill
Sides have some cosmetic differences (taper on bottom channel)

Like I said minor issues. Some guys have actually made an M series bed into a CCKW bed (well, an 80% copy) and you would never know unless you nit picked.

waayfast

Not to hi-jack but I am curious about the numbers on a truck I have: 353-179727-A2.
These are off the data plate about shin bone level on the center of firewall.Date is 1-43.Hood #4155769. Thanks Paul.
JJ

paulfarber

You will still want to match the data plate to the frame SN. Cabs have been switched in the past.

The data plate gives a DoD of 1-43 then go with that. That would make it a very early open cab.

You would have a wooden bed and the -A2 means it should have banjo axles and a cargo bed.

You would not have the 'deep sump' oil pan nor a winch.

You could rightfully display the GMC logo on the guard on your symmetrical brush guard. You would also have the small mouth gas tank and 'slick' running boards with no gas can mount or pioneer tools. You would also have the 1st Series hydrovac (kits are still available.. so rebuild it or sell it to someone who can/will. You should also have a die cast carb. If the carb should or should not have a sight plug is unknown... they were not positively mentioned untill the April 1943 TM, so you can play the gray area and get an 28AV11 without it. If it does have the carb with a sight plug I it would be GREAT to get a picture.

Those are the biggies... there are many minor mostly cab and engine parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks