• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear MVT vs. Michelin XML

yeager1

I am thinking about either Goodyear MVT or Michelin XML's in 395's. Has anyone run both and which ones performed better on/off road? The XML's are more aggressive, but tread compound can make a big difference too.

Attachments

mudguppy

no direct 'deuce-related' experience; but when the Goodyears became available in the Army inventory they were an improvement in ride and handling on the FMTVs / LMTVs. i would imagine there is a slite loss in offroad traction in very sticky mud/clay terrain due to the lower void ratio. [both tires preformed about the same in the Ft. Stewart training areas as far as 'stuckness' is concerned - they'll both dig an LMTV down into bottomless sandy loam just as equally and effectively. :roll:]

no input on tire life / mileage.

Jakob

To me, it would appear that the Goodyears are the "street" tire of the three; not as good off-road but great street manners. The XML's are the hard core mud tires, not much on the comfort on the street. The XZL's (?) seem to be a good median of the three. That's strictly based on my visual interpretation.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur with JAKOB. I have never run either, but, from the tread alone, I would say that the Goodyear runs better on pavement and the Michelin runs better off-road. I would almost guarantee that I am correct, although this is only a guess.

tm america

i run xls on my truck they are a great all around tire. the goodyears are more of a sand- snow tire the zxls are best offroad but wear kind of fast on the road xls have the highest weight rating .and all are way better than ndts in all conditions :-D

snoplay

I run the MVT s alot off road, the do very well stiff side walls really help in water crossings and dont have to worry about side wall cuts as much running along river beds and through swamps with alot of blown down trees

bambambam22

M1075,

I see you are the only one that has actually run these tires. I just got a set of Deuce wheels on GL that are like the Hemmet wheels but with 6 holes and I am looking for tires and I need help deciding on what to get. Let’s just say I will spend 95% of the time on the asphalt but want a tire that I can bug out in if all **** breaks loose. Dependability and getting my butt out of a crack is more important than comfort if that helps. I have no experience with any of the three so any advice is welcome.
Rick

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have run the XMLs for over a year. I am very happy with them. Off road they do fine, what surprised me was how well they do on road. I drive my truck alot and they are not worn out at all. If you get into sticky mud, none of the tires work worth a ****. At Haspin we had alot of different tire makers on a bunch of trucks and they ALL slid sideways. Get which ever one you can get a good deal on, none of them will keep you from getting stuck at on point or another.

M1075

M1075,

I see you are the only one that has actually run these tires. I just got a set of Deuce wheels on GL that are like the Hemmet wheels but with 6 holes and I am looking for tires and I need help deciding on what to get. Let’s just say I will spend 95% of the time on the asphalt but want a tire that I can bug out in if all **** breaks loose. Dependability and getting my butt out of a crack is more important than comfort if that helps. I have no experience with any of the three so any advice is welcome.
Rick
If you have the A3 wheels, the answer is simple. Michelin XL 14.5R20

bambambam22

If you have the A3 wheels, the answer is simple. Michelin XL 14.5R20

Great thank you very much. since you know what you are talking about can you tel me what to do about valve stems? The hemmit stems done fit. They fit the hole in the rim but arent long enough to reach out so I can add air if needed.

If you have a sec I would realy like to know why you say Michelin XL 14.5R20's?

I am trusting your advice and I am going to find and buy thme I just kind of like to know why. I jsut have no knowledge on this subject and would like to learn.

Stalwart

I have the Michelin's on my HEMTT, they are noisy and at 5-10 mph you can feel the vibration from the blocks. That said, I still bought another set because I like the look better and if I want quiet, I just roll up the windows. :driver:

wbdodgeiv

I have both on the on my deuce at the moment, MVT for steers and XMLs on the tandems. I had XML's all around and tore the sidewall on one and got a good deal on a pair of MVT's. I haven't had any problems with either set. In the future I will replace the other remaining 5 tires with MVT's.

shannondeese

I am running XMLs on my Bobber and repeatedly beat them off road in the deserts around So-Cal. I am now using the truck as a daily driver in San Diego. They are a little bouncy on the road under 30 MPH, but I think it's becuase the roads are concreete and aren't exactly smooth. Off road I drop to 15 PSI, in the snow I go down to 10 PSI, for regular street driving I run 50 PSI in the front and 45 PSI in the rear. I like the look of the Good Years but the performance I am getting out of the XML's leave no room for complaints.

M1075

Great thank you very much. since you know what you are talking about can you tel me what to do about valve stems? The hemmit stems done fit. They fit the hole in the rim but arent long enough to reach out so I can add air if needed.

If you have a sec I would realy like to know why you say Michelin XL 14.5R20's?

I am trusting your advice and I am going to find and buy thme I just kind of like to know why. I jsut have no knowledge on this subject and would like to learn.
I don't know what valvestems those A3 wheels take, but you should be able to source them somewhere. The A3 wheels are designed to work with the MPT 14.5 tires. You only have one tread choice in that size on the surplus market. The other tires are not well suited for A3 wheels due to difference in beads.

M1075

I do prefer the MVT tread for my trucks, when available. I consider it "All-Terrain" whereas the others I consider "Mud Tread".

mudguppy

i know we started switching over our FMTV fleet to the Goodyears in 2003 as trucks came up needing tires. we noted that they were smoother at highway speeds, especially the tractors empty or with light loads. they seemed to do just as well off-road, but we never really had 'serious' off-roading situations come up. if anything, they would do better in the sand and tank trails of Ft. Stewart.

i have a brand-new set of 4 that i don't know what to do with. probably will end up on a future project, i guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks