• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Post WWII Jeep

Brad

I have an opportunity to buy a Military Jeep.
I have been told about it but not seen it.. I plan to look at it tmorrow.
I know it runs and am told it is in "decent "condition.
I believe it is a late 40's madel.
Other than that thats all I know for now.
Other than they want $1500.00 for it.
I know I have not much info to go on but that seems pretty reasonable so far.
Any ideas or suggestions of value, or what I should look for would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad Foust

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I have a M38A1 if you wanted a running Jeep for 1500?

Look for data plates , they will tell you the info. Make sure its Military , theres alot of fakes or people that didnt know better. -Jay

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a late 40's jeep will not be military. Military jeep production stopped in 1945 and did not resume until 1950 with the very rare CJV-35. following with large scale production of the M38 in 1951

mikes47jeep

so many times the old jeeps are given wrong years and wrong models by their owners

my 53' M38-a1 was called a 1960-something cj-5 by the person i bought it from, so its always worth checking out

if you could post a photo of it we can identify it

nopics

regards

Mike

Last edited:

mv37

The military purchased cj2as and cj3as as well as willys pickups and station wagons all through the late 40's and early 50's, just because a jeep is not considered a "tactical" jeep doesnt mean its not military. Either way if it is indeed military it will or did have data plates on the dash to specify this.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no documentation that the US military ever purchased any CJ2As or Cj3As, Many CJ2As were produced for the South African and Swiss Armies. The US military did use the military version of the CJ3A which is the M38.

The US military did purchase CJ3Bs or high hood jeeps with the overhead valve engine. These jeeps were designated M606 by the military and most were identicle to the civilain jeeps. They even had 6 volt systems. A few were produced with a black out light system.

I don't know anything about the pickups or wagons. The military did use the Forward controls purchased between 57-64

mv37

sorry sir but your information is wrong, the military did purchase and use the cjs in the late 40's and early 50's and there is documentation of that fact refer to tech manual tm-9-2800-1 and see attached photos from that manual, i have personally seen several original examples of each with there data plates still intact.

Attachments

mv37

not familiar with the godzilla movies, however a tall grill makes me think cj3b, the military used thoses as well, also a more militarized version designated the m606 was used in small numbers by the US forces and was mostly exported to other militaries, the militarized cj5 is designated the m606a2 and m606a3 also used in small numbers by US forces but most of them were built to be exported as well

i have personaly seen all forms of jeeps used by military, the cj's and pickups/station wagons were used on bases as non combatant roles while the tactical jeeps such as mb/gpw, cjv35, m38,m38a1,m38a1C, m38a1D, m170 were used in combat roles, this is not counting the m151 series of 1/4 ton trucks, or the m422 mighty mite made in the 60's and 70's

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you will find any information of use of the CJ2A by the military. There may have been some one ofs procured from civilian sources but there was never a contract to secure CJ2As for the military.

mv37

the navy purchased and used the cj2a just as the cj3a and the dj3a jeeps, very limited info but i have seen some, Delks army-navy in ashborro NC had one awhile back with its dash plate still in place down in his junk yard, he also had late 70's cj5's with data plates as well but i dont remember the branch of service. Though im unsure about a contract on either the military still used them so you you cant count out a jeep from being military just cause its not a combat model.

Wild Horse Hans

The ones you see in Godzilla movies are Mitsubishi built. If you look close at the top of the grill you will see the triangle Mitsubishi emblem. They were still being made in the 80s as I saw a ton of them in Honduras and other parts of Central America. I forget what they had for an engine, but I think it was a 4 cyl deisl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks