• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I check my brake fluid??

ivbeenrokd

So I went to check my brake fluid today.... I removed the screw from the hinged plate in the driver side floorboard and expected to find a removable top on the master cylinder to check the brake fluid. That's not what I found. How do I check it? I'm probably missing something simple, just didn't see what I needed to do.

Thanks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to look again :wink:. It's under that cover. Has a vent line running to it and a square head on top.

jimm1009

Checking brake fluid

There is a cap with a square nut on top. You will also have a vent attached to it the same as the top of the axles or tranmission or tranfer case unless you have a hard line coming from it. Some versions were improved and had the vent go up into the r/h engine side of the firewall in order to raise it higher for improving deep water fording.

Anyway, take this cap off and you will fluid inside the master cylinder here.
Before you take the cap off you may want to blow the area off with an air hose or possibly brush it with a small paint brush. This is to avoid introducing
dirt and other crap into your master cylinder.
I think that the wrench flats are 13/16 but I'm not positive about the size.
Below is a great article in PS Magazine that has a lot of good stuff in it. Check it out as it will tell you a lot
about your truck.
Good luck

http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?set_albumName=album11&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

scooter01922

I'm with gimp..... The tech manuals are right here on the site for FREE. PLEASE read a few of them. They are actually a very interesting read. Just don't want to see anyone crash their nice deuce due to something as simple as a lack of fluid. It would screw us all over royally.

Snarky

Thanks guys, mine does have a hard line coming off of it, that's what really had me thrown off. I will check today.
It threw me off initially too. The 15 or so deuce manuals on this site are buried in 12 pages of about 280+ other manuals that are randomly organized in a non-searchable database, listed in colors that are hard to see on some LCD monitors, then each manual is about 500 pages of stuff that generally doesn't relate to your truck. It fine for people to say RTFM, but good luck actually finding the stuff that you need.

There is however a FAQ page, and it does have the manuals separated out and seems to be labeled better (or at least I'm better able to read the labels). I invite people to direct folks to this page instead of saying 'find the secret manuals' in the resources:

Deuce - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Most of the information on that page is trivial historical stuff but the tech manuals are towards the bottom.

dabtl

This might be as good a time as ever to install a remote brake fluid reservoir. I checked my BFS level on both trucks yesterday by opening the engine side panels and looking inside. Both were just fine. That took about two minutes.

Check this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/42401-remote-brake-fluid-reservoir.html

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The TM resources aren't the easiest on here but they are a must. Find them, buy them, have a nearby member that already has them download them on a thumb drive; do whatever it takes but get them and read them. Just because your truck didn't have it in the glove compartment when you bought it is not an excuse. It's unsafe to not have read them.

greenjeepster

I noticed some fluid leaking down on the inside of the passenger front tire, so I figured it would be a good idea to check before the peddle hits the floor!:wink:
Axle seal leak. A brake leak would squirt all over the place when the brakes are compressed. Check the fluid level in your front pumpkin.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Axle seal leak. A brake leak would squirt all over the place when the brakes are compressed. Check the fluid level in your front pumpkin.
So how do you see it spray all over when the brake drum is on the truck? Both the wheel cylinders that i've seen leak have had fluid running down the inside of the tires and weren't spraying anywhere.:wink:

jimm1009

dripping

Fluid dripping down the front tire could also be liquified grease from the front axle or front gear oil.
It is not necessarily brake fluid but certainly could be.
If you have not been into the bearings and inspected the brakes this is a good time to do so.
Let us know what you find as it helps alll of us to learn more about our green stuff.
Jim

vtdeucedriver

Some trucks it is 7/8th.

I check my brake fluid by pushing the brake peddle, if it doesn't hit the floor then you have fluid.

Its people like this that are going to ruin it for MV owners that operate their trucks with the safety of others in mind. Glad my family does not live in KY, but I have friends that do!!!!

Last edited:

AceHigh

This might be as good a time as ever to install a remote brake fluid reservoir. I checked my BFS level on both trucks yesterday by opening the engine side panels and looking inside. Both were just fine. That took about two minutes.

Check this thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/42401-remote-brake-fluid-reservoir.html
I followed Dabtl's excellent tutorial, he even gives a full parts list. Makes checking the fluid a daily function that is totally painless. A must do item!

vtdeucedriver

I followed Dabtl's excellent tutorial, he even gives a full parts list. Makes checking the fluid a daily function that is totally painless. A must do item!

Thats all fine but it does not need to be a daily check. I usually check mine twice a year. In the spring when I am ready to drive it out and mid summer. At that same interval I also check the axle vents. This was brought up on another thread and is very important maint item.

No I am not perfect as I dont check my oil every time I take it out but I certinly pay attention to when my truck stops and whats underneath it if it starts leaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks