• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL

ida34

Don,
What you posted would be true for Michigan also. If I did not have the deuce or five ton registered as historical vehicles then I would need to get the same license plate that a commercial truck would need to get and they are based on weight only. I would still not need a CDL or comply with commercial vehicle requirements as to a log book and such.
I suggest you look up the definition of a recreational vehicle in the NJ law. The above paragraph on CDL requirements mentions an exemption for recreational vehicles. I have a feeling this definition will provide for a private person driving a vehicle he owns for his own use (ie not in commerce or commercially.) Some states do not state "in commerce" as they assume that anything deemed commercial is being operated in commerce. It all ends in are you making money by operating the vehicle or not.

Chuck

sprucemt

I was only looking at it in the perspective of the drivers licence for NJ.

The non-commercial truck plate in NJ is available but I think if you research that, you MAY find limitations on weight. There is a law for historical/plates for vehicles in NJ and NY. I did NOT reseach this.

I did look up the definition for RV but did not include it in the previous post as it wasn't in my opinion, relevent to the subject of "drivers licenses". The definition in NJ for RV's is this,

m. "Recreation vehicle" means a self-propelled or towed vehicle equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes used solely as a family or personal conveyance.

I had 6 conversations with 6 individuals at NJ Motor Vehicle Commision in regards only to the "drivers License". Each answer from them was based on weight and not application.

But I do not want to be the one making opinions here on such a serious subject. NJ Title 39 is readily available for those who want to validate the data.

The phone number for NJ Motor Vehicle Commision is (609) 292-6500
The link to the Drivers Manual is here http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/Driver Manual/Chapter_1.pdf
The link to an easy to read version of Title 39 is here http://www.lawrev.state.nj.us/title39/web cdl 020508.

coecamo

In Michigan a CDL is required for COMMERCIAL use. In the CDL booklet not for profit personal use vehicles are exempt . My avitar is my historic truck `77 Peterbilt road tractor. All road worthy vehicles of any size should be able to pass a DOT inspection so keep the old iron in good shape. Gary

ida34

Gary,
You may have misconstrued my last post. It was about the license plate not driver's license. Welcome to the site. We are practically neighbors.

Chuck

Chuck

Fortunately, at least Virginia is exceptionally, explicitly clear on this topic. From § 46.2-341.4, paragraph 4:

The following shall be excluded from the definition of commercial motor vehicle: any vehicle when used by an individual solely for his own personal purposes, such as personal recreational activities; or ...
In other words, maybe you folks in PA and NY should just move to VA. :-D

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fortunately, at least Virginia is exceptionally, explicitly clear on this topic. From § 46.2-341.4, paragraph 4:

In other words, maybe you folks in PA and NY should just move to VA. :-D
While Virginia follows the Federal guidelines (i.e. no CDL needed if you are not for profit) the fun begins when you try to drive out of the state. Before the Air Force sent us back to Alaska I had a truck and trailer with Virginia tags along with a Virginia driver's license (we were at Langley at the time). When we left Virginia the first scale I hit on I-95 in NC nailed me with $600 in fines for not having apportioned plates and an IFTA fuel tax permit. All because I was over 26,000 pounds.

The biggest problem is 99.9% of scale officials are used to dealing with commercial vehicles and know next to nothing about how to handle someone that has a large truck as a play toy. We went from VA to FL, FL to CA, then CA to WA and after the bs from NC I called each state we had to drive through along the way and asked them if I needed permits. Many states said I was fine but when I got to the port of entry for these states the people at the port said otherwise. I had to demand they call their home office and gave them the name of the person I talked to. Several of these calls got interesting as sometimes the port official argued with the person on the other end. They would not believe their own people. Also had the same people tell me I did not have the correct license (no class A). When I pointed out that VA did not require one as per the Federal guidelines the usual response from them was "That may be how Virginia does it but in our state you're breaking the law as we require a CDL even if you are not for hire". And here it is I thought my license from my state of residence was good in all other states of the U.S. Silly me.

Anyhow, back to your point about Virgina not requiring a CDL. As it's been pointed out by several others in this thread each state is different. And the best way to tell if you need one in your state is to call the DMV in your state. Up here in Alaska they don't give an exemption for private use so I have to have a CDL for anything with a GVWR of 26,001 or more. But my home of record of Florida says I can drive a 5 ton cargo truck without one but if that 5 ton truck has a semi truck type fifth wheel then a CDL is needed.

The biggest trick of all is if you go to a show that gives out awards or prizes. If you drive a large truck to show and win a prize in the eyes of commercial law enforcement you are now commercial as you received something in payment. It's a fine line betwen private use and commercial and it doesn't take much to be put in the commercial category.

Ruppster

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks