• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need VIN inspection by LEO in Halifax, NC

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey gang,

I am working on getting my 925A2 titled. I need to have a county, city, military or state LEO look at my truck that is sitting in Winslow's yard and sign off on my VIN inspection form. Is anyone nearby that can help out? If we can't get together in person at Winslow's, then I can fill out the paper and fax it to you. All you have to do is look at the VIN tag, sign the form, and fax it back.

Thanks for any help!

roscoe

Try calling the local sheriffs office and faxing them the form. They don't need anyone to be there necessarily. As long as they can find the truck and the vin location. They most likely will have a small fee.

rlwm211

They do the same thing in Indiana for some titles.

Call your local law enforcement office and tell them what you need done.

They may charge a small fee.

If you are being asked for this, you can bet you are not the first, nor the last.

Just my two cents

RL

gusto1

Check with the license and theft department of the local NCDMV. I believe they are the department that reviews for you.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the suggestions gang. The only bad part is the form is from CO so I don't know if and local agencies would do it for me, officially. It doesn't hurt to ask though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, the bigger question is wether or not your state title agency will take the CO VIN Verification form. Is there a reason you are using a form from Colorado? FL requires VIN verifications be done on a FL form.

cbvet

Indiana has it's own form. I would think all states would.
Any local LEO can confirm VIN.

Before registering as an antique or historic vehicle, we have to have it "inspected" by a State police officer.
Some actually check lights etc, but most just check the VIN.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My state doesn't have a form. My State Trooper friend went to DMV and asked for one, they said that I had to bring the vehicle in. He said, it isn't legal to drive without being registered. They told him I could get a temp tag. Well, the SF-97 can take longer than that, or what if he bought it awhile ago and needs it now? The DMV guy said bring it to them. My buddy said I would get pulled over and ticketed. Stupid DMV. He is going to do a VIN letter on SC Trooper letterhead, I hope that works.

I remember the good old days, take them an SF-97 and transfer letter, pay a little, walk out with a title. Sigh...

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Alabama, the state that used to issue titles/registrations sight unseen, now requires that an AL LEO, at the MVA verify the vin and authenticity. Same with here in the Peoples Republic Of Maryland. You need to bring it to the MVA. Check with CO MVA .

jimm1009

VIN Check

Here is Louisiana and my home state of Indiana you can drive the vehicle to the police department even though the vehicle is not registered (you must have insurance) because they know that you have to have the VIN check done before you can initially register or title the vehicle.
It's not necessarily legal but they (state police) have told me before in both state that if you are pulled over, tell the officer that you are going to the office in order to get the check done and they will not ticket you although they may follow you to the office just to verify what you are saying (doping).
It's a catch 22. Can't drive without registration but can't register without driving to the police department.
Above all else, check with your state's state police and they will give you the right scoop to keep you out of hot water. Take the LEO's name with you in just in case so you can say "I talked with "P.O. Jones" and he / she explained that I would be all right for this special circumstance.
jimm1009

dk8019

In Ohio, the process looks like this:

1. Get Bill of Sale from GovLiquidation
2. Get Temp Tags from BMV with Bill of Sale
3. Bring truck to BMV on temp tags
4. BMV requires $3 to "inspect" truck
- this has never been more than climbing into the truck, looking at the data plate number, and writing it on a piece of paper
5. Take inspection report to the title office along with Florida title
6. Transfer title to my name, on Ohio title
7. Take title back to DMV for tags etc.

I'm about to do this process, or at least the final steps today during lunch, should be a hoot.

D-Man

Hey Chris,

I just had a VIN inspection done here in CO on my M925A2 and I had to drive it to an inspection station (i.e. Kenworth shop) and they did it for $20. Is there a place nearby Winslow that could do the same?

Is your title from Colorado? Why are you using a CO VIN form?

I would suspect that Virginia would require the VIN inspection on its own form.

Good luck!

gunboy1656

Does it have to be a LEO for your inspection?

When my truck got delivered, I offloaded it off the trailer, quick stop at the house, Then headed off to the local garage for a VIN check.

All that happened was a mechanic came out checked the numbers, signed off on the paperwork, looked and drooled over the truck then went back to work.

Total cost- NOTHING

Not sure if you need a LEO, if not you should be able to get a inspection certified mechanic to do the work.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Louisiana you have to have a POST certified officer do the VIN check and it does not matter if it is a State, Parish (County), or Local officer. This would be for the easy ones, VIN tags on and in the right places, etc.

If your vehicle is missing data plates, etc., you have to have one of the State Police vehicle theft officers check it out to get the paperwork to take to DMV. Especially if it is a CUCV. Dont ask me how I know about this :-(.

Crash_AF

I am the one who won the truck that the title is for, long complicated story, the truck is at Winslow's but I am in Colorado. He needs the CO form signed off on so that I can get the title for the truck and then transfer it to him.

CO won't do a 'foreign' title without a VIN inspection. Period, dot, full stop. It can be any certified LEO from the state that the vehicle is located in.

Later,
Joe

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks everyone for your input!

The VIN inspection is finally complete! I should have asked John Winslow months ago. He had a NC DMV inspector up there looking at some trucks for him and asked him to do the form while he was at it. He got it done in less than a week! Awesome.

I'll get it on the way back to you, Joe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks