• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 camper conversion

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
At the Ga Rally the wife and I slept in a tent, after a couple nights we thought we need to do something different for next year, we got to looking at all the different vehicles and trailers and at first we thought hey we could mod a 105 trailer into a small camper, then someone told us about someone that had turned a 109 into a camper and we went over and took a look at it and thought wow this is perfect now we need a 109. Well one night while standing around the campfire talking about it, Neil came up to us and said he may know someone who had one that they needed to get rid of and introdused us to chris and stef (Sevo). They told us about the conversion they started as seen in M109 trailer Conversion thread, Well we bought it from them and have started the rest of the disassembly. we will be trying to sell the stuff we don't need off of it first to make the money we need to finish it and i will use this thread to post updates as they happen. So if there is anything anyone needs off of it PM me with what and an offer and we will see if we can make a deal.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM sent:wink:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
So far we have removed the front axle, cab, and tool box. Sevo removed the fenders, hood,and grill for me:wink:. here are pics of what we have done so far. a few from the recovery and a few of the disassembly.

Attachments

poppop

I am sure it will turn out great guys. Have you thought any more about the Brakes?? I showed you how to hook the air from the towing truck to the towed truck to have brakes at the Rally. Sitting here thinking about it now I realize you are going to have to leave the Master cylinder on the frame for the system to work. These brakes are air assisted hydralic brakes so you have to have a reservoir for the fluid. The entire system that is left will have to be leakfree to maintain fluid. You won't need the petal but will have to build one of the power bleeders that have been discussed to bleed the system. Once the system is bleed out and you have no leaks then just hook up the gladhand to the Duece and you will have great brakes. I would definatly use silicon brake fluid in the 109 camper as it will not mix with water and the system will not deterioat as rapidly from lack of use as it would with DOT 3.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I am sure it will turn out great guys. Have you thought any more about the Brakes?? I showed you how to hook the air from the towing truck to the towed truck to have brakes at the Rally. Sitting here thinking about it now I realize you are going to have to leave the Master cylinder on the frame for the system to work. These brakes are air assisted hydralic brakes so you have to have a reservoir for the fluid. The entire system that is left will have to be leakfree to maintain fluid. You won't need the petal but will have to build one of the power bleeders that have been discussed to bleed the system. Once the system is bleed out and you have no leaks then just hook up the gladhand to the Duece and you will have great brakes. I would definatly use silicon brake fluid in the 109 camper as it will not mix with water and the system will not deterioat as rapidly from lack of use as it would with DOT 3.
i was looking at that the other day i belive i can make it work, and with the help and info i can get from everybody here i know i can.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I`m glad to see you got it. I`m sure you will fix it up nice and you sure helped Chris out. You`ll have plenty of time before next year. Can`t wait to see it . Let me know if there are any ideas or help I can send you,

Neil

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
looks like you`re moving right along . I used a grinder , drill and the easiest way i found to cut the rivits was a good chisel and a big hammer. I wished i`d tried it much sooner.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like it's going to be an awesome camper project, and I too liked the blue camo at the GA rally. I can't wait to see the progress and the finished project at the next rally.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
why would i swap a smaller brake system into a larger vehicle?
The 6 ton expandible semi trailers have a rear suspension almost identcal to a deuce sans drie axles. They use 2 M105 brake systems controlled by one relay valve. It gives very adequate braking and as a fail safe, each axle brake system is isolated.

poppop

Kenny, are you talking swapping axles or just The actuating systems?? You could hook the air diaphram to the existing Duece master cylinder and then plumb the emergency line to the tanks on the 109. Then it would be just like pushing the petal with your foot, but you still would not have split brakes. The 105's don't have an airpac, so would the 105 system have as much braking power as the Duece system?? I can see the advantage of doing away with the airpac if the brakes are just as good.

Mdmorgan, if you do away with the airpac I would be interested in buying it if it works or is rebuildable and you don't want it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks