• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 camper conversion

tm america

nice job looks like you have been working your butt off. Are you putting lockers in it is that why you pulled the diffs?i would get some naval gelly and go over anyspots that have any surface rust

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I am putting a 1/4" steel plate floor in mine currently( I already removed the wood floor and what was left of the rusted steel below ...I couldn't imagine having to remove the inner skin on the walls though. I was going to put in a raceway for all of my pipes on the edge of the wall longways down the truck. I think I am right but doesn't the floor hold the entire box to the frame ribs?
All the ribs exept the ones i cut out go under to support the box, the ribs i cut out only support the metal floor that was over them which in turn was welded to the wheel wells, which leads me to think that the way i pulled the diffs was the way it was intended to be done, otherwise i see no reason those ribs couldn't have gone under the ends of the wheel wells for better support.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
nice job looks like you have been working your butt off. Are you putting lockers in it is that why you pulled the diffs?i would get some naval gelly and go over anyspots that have any surface rust
no, diffs are for sale(make offer), this will be a trailer pulled behind my deuce so i pulled them to cut weight and drag also pulled axle shafts but now i need either some front axle end caps or some off of a m105. Oh and the rust is way way way past just surface. i'll be doing quite a few skin repairs

tm america

naval gelly is a rust convertor.it turns rust back into steel. Not sure where to get it anymore.Body shop suppliers use to carry it. . a friend of mine turned me on to it years ago.It works he had a rust spot on the top of his fender that was almost all the way through .the next day it was solid and leveled off it was like it was never rusted.you can grind - weld on it.He kept the car for years never painted the repair and it never rusted again .

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was going to do the same thing to reduce weight. The cross members that you removed ,, will they be replaced?? Also are you going to put a plate over the opening in the axle houseing

Thanks Neil

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I was going to do the same thing to reduce weight. The cross members that you removed ,, will they be replaced?? Also are you going to put a plate over the opening in the axle houseing

Thanks Neil
The cross members will get welded back in before i put the floor back. i'm leaving them out for now cause access to everything is much better with them out. i'm wanting to put some tanks between the frame rails for fresh and grey water, haven't decided if i'm going to put a toilet in it yet. i got one block off plate cut out just need to mark and cut the holes then use it as a template to make the other, its 7075-T6 aluminum and its .190 thick.

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
ok well i got tired of every time i did something i found rust, between skin panels, rivets falling out, just rotten metal in general, soooooo.

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I'm SCRAPPING IT!!!!!! roflJust kidding, i am however going to skin it, get down to frame and put it back together like it should have been built to begin with. plus i figure the panels will be easier to fix with them removed. i'm going to put a corrosion inhibiting sealant between all parts that touch, so NO MORE water will seep into the seams. if this thing is still standing after almost 40 years like it was, when i get done with it, my grandchildren will be able to take it camping, I'm only 27 by the way.

jimm1009

Shoot your rivets in wet (with sealant) too and this will help tremendously.
And is you have any aluminum parts be sure to seal the mating-to-steel area with sealant too.
Dissimilar metal corrosion can get you without it.
Lot and lots of work but at least you know that it will be done right and you will get many years out of it.
Perhaps something to pass down to kids or grand kids some day.

jim1009

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks good . I `m not going to do all that. Too old and Tired. You`re doing a great job and you and your`s having the job you do I`m sure it`ll be done right. See you in Ga at the rally.

Neil

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Shoot your rivets in wet (with sealant) too and this will help tremendously.
And is you have any aluminum parts be sure to seal the mating-to-steel area with sealant too.
Dissimilar metal corrosion can get you without it.
Lot and lots of work but at least you know that it will be done right and you will get many years out of it.
Perhaps something to pass down to kids or grand kids some day.

jim1009
You are correct sir, and that is what was in the plans. To those that don't know both my wife and I are aircraft sheetmetal mechanics, currently working on the C-130 hercules, and that is the only reason i decided to tackle this skinning job on the m109.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rock on MD!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see it in October.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks