• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need blacked out copy of SF-97 for clueless DMV

kochevnik

I want to buy a deuce next week. Guy only has an SF-97. So I go to the DMV to ask them about it and get some young blonde the first time says she doesn't know what an SF-97 is but it will 'probably' work.

So I go in today and eventually got the manager. Ask her the same question. Pretty much clueless - this after I tell her that at least one SS member has been in HER office specifically to register at least 3 MV's with an SF97 in the last several years. She knows how to handle paperwork from the GSA but not for an SF-97. She has asked me to bring her a copy of one so she can see what it is :roll::roll::roll:

(Rant - God I HATE the govt - all they do is make the most ridiculous rules and then have clueless dweebs enforce them).

Anyways, I searched all over here and on Google - is there someone who would be willing to post a blacked out SF-97 I can print out and take to the DMV ? Please ? I am 90 percent sure they will do it, but I would hate like **** to be wrong and end up with a 13,000 pound paperweight.

And BTW - another rant - IMO, it is BEYOND annoying to be shopping for a deuce and every other seller has been too lazy or incompetent to even apply for a title for the vehicles they are trying to sell. Why in God's name you would not title the vehicle you just bought I cannot comprehend.

Anyways, anyone help a brother out ? :) TIA.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do NOT accept a SF97 in someone else's name!!!!! That is a dead end at the DMV. Unless they are a dealer and can give you a reassignment form. Force the seller to transfer the SF97 into a title and then sign the title over to you. If he refuses, deduct $300 from the selling price, because that is what the title services will cost you.

ida34

GSA issues the same sf-97. They are for all federally owned vehicles and all come out of federal service with the sf-97 so if they know how to handle gsa vehicles they should know how to handle GL vehicles. That is except for the fact GSA actually gives out SF-97s in the name of the buyer unlike GL where they are on the SF-97 and they provide a reassignment letter.

Josh

When I bought my truck from a private seller, all he had was a SF97 and GLs bill of sale to him. He wrote me a bill of sale, gave me the bill of sale from GL to him, and the SF97. I took it all to the DMV, had a clerk inspect the Vin, all in all it took me about 15 minutes from the time my number was called until I was done. Four weeks later, a title showed up at my house.

This was in Oregon. I dont know how Washington treats these things. Hope I helped a little.

The Janiter

They Don't want to pay the taxes on their purchase, just make a profit!

Might help to go to a revenue office that has actually processed one of this type of paper work,
here in Arkansas only a few of the people in DFA have done these and to them it is a no brainer,
To others DUH - what dat?

M

ida34

For all the states I know of it is illegal to sell a vehicle without a title. Like you said, if you title it you have to pay taxes on it.

kochevnik

Ah ok - If forgot about the taxes part - I thought you just needed to do that if you register it. Now I guess I can see why so many do it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the vehicle was bought from GL the taxes have already been paid through GL. Don't know about other states but TN will not accept a SF97 in someone elses name. In TN you might as well take the SF97 and wipe your a** with it, atleast you'll get some use out of it :wink:.

jimm1009

Sf-97 example

What the heck, here is mine for a truck that was recently sold to a good home.
I removed the address but everything else is there.
This should serve as a good example of what they will need in most states if you are the buyer from G.L.

Hope this helps,
jimm1009

Attachments

ida34

If the vehicle was bought from GL the taxes have already been paid through GL. Don't know about other states but TN will not accept a SF97 in someone elses name. In TN you might as well take the SF97 and wipe your a** with it, atleast you'll get some use out of it :wink:.
The initial sales tax was paid for the truck to be transferred from the government to the new owner. Every new owner owes sales tax whether they register it or not. The only reason they take care of the tax when it is registered is so they get the tax on all the person to person sales. If you buy a car from a dealership you pay the tax there and just pay for the registration when you get it registered. What you say is true if the truck came directly from the original civy owner to the new owner but many times these trucks change hand and the tax is never paid until the last owner in line finally registers it. I do see what you are saying and you are right but that person is still violating the law by selling a car without a legal title. To be legal the title must be in the sellers name unless the seller is a car dealer.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sales taxes are paid at the time you title the vehicle.

A word of warning to everyone out there thinking they can "just get a title". YOU CANNOT!!! The day of the Alabama title companies just sending you one through the mail are over. The SF-97 is worthless unless it is your name on it.The only thing more worthless is just a bill of sale. There is only one case where you can use an SF-97 or Bill of Sale, from someone else. That is if the have the exact same name as you. What are the odds... That's it.

You guys out there buying trucks, and even trailers, with a title promised, just walk away, until you see a title. I hear horror stories everyday about people needing titles or they buy a truck and are promised a title. Six months later they are still waiting on that title and the promises continue while the stories get more creative. Do not exchange a dime without a title..

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The initial sales tax was paid for the truck to be transferred from the government to the new owner. Every new owner owes sales tax whether they register it or not. The only reason they take care of the tax when it is registered is so they get the tax on all the person to person sales. If you buy a car from a dealership you pay the tax there and just pay for the registration when you get it registered. What you say is true if the truck came directly from the original civy owner to the new owner but many times these trucks change hand and the tax is never paid until the last owner in line finally registers it. I do see what you are saying and you are right but that person is still violating the law by selling a car without a legal title. To be legal the title must be in the sellers name unless the seller is a car dealer.
Chuck, I see what you are saying :wink:. I was just going by how I sell trucks I bought from GL. I buy the truck and pay GL sales tax. When I go to the DMV (with SF97) I show them my invoice where I've already paid sales tax and they don't charge me any tax. The only time I may have to pay a little tax is if the state I bought the truck in has a lower sales tax than TN. I then have to pay the difference.

Bottom line is there are ways in TN to title a truck without a title in hand but using a SF97 in someone elses name is not one of them.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did a title in SC today. Got the property tax paid at the county, insurance form, the SC form 400 filled out, took that, the SF-07, bill of sale and reassignment letter to the SC DMV. Paid the $15 title fee, and the difference in sales tax and I was done. Total out of pocket (after getting the SF-97), $68 - $15 for title, $21 for property tax, and $32 additional sales tax. No tags yet, and the title will be mailed, but it's legal. Took 20 minutes at DMV from in-the-door to out-the-door, with the clerk taking two trips to the supervisor for questions as she had never done a former military vehicle before. BTW, it usually takes 10 minutes to get a number to wait in line for the next available clerk - Tuesday before Thanksgiving it was deserted!

rideni

The people selling with only an SF-97 or Bill of Sale, are generally playing high and fast with the tax man or the state. In Maryland the SF-97 or GL reassignment letter must be in your name, else you need a title to get it legal. Other states are different. Broadway, International and the others will not issue titles for ex-Military Vehicles anymore. Too many people playing games with the tax man and caused too many problems. Research the state laws first. And when you buy the truck make sure you have title in hand before you leave.

ida34

Chuck, I see what you are saying :wink:. I was just going by how I sell trucks I bought from GL. I buy the truck and pay GL sales tax. When I go to the DMV (with SF97) I show them my invoice where I've already paid sales tax and they don't charge me any tax. The only time I may have to pay a little tax is if the state I bought the truck in has a lower sales tax than TN. I then have to pay the difference.

Bottom line is there are ways in TN to title a truck without a title in hand but using a SF97 in someone elses name is not one of them.

I am lucky enough to have a local Secretary of State (like the state DMV) that understands the process. I have gotten my trucks titles both with the SF-97 and without. I got my M818 titles without a SF-97 by going the bonded title route. No bond was needed based on the sales price of the truck. My local clerks understand the situation but find a place with a clueless person working the counter and you are screwed. I live in Tennessee for several years. You must have a good clerk at your county. I remember having to pay wheel tax in addition to everything else when I lived in Sumner County. There have been some stories of some states that do not care if you paid tax in another state they still want the full boat. Most of my out of state purchases come from Ohio and the tax is more than Michigan so I never have to pay the tax when I register and title in Michigan.

kurtkds

Don't buy it if he only has the SF-97!!!!! Trust me, I've been down that road here in Washington. The Governor wants her money. :-D:-D:-D

They want that tax money and all the other "Fees" they charge, from each person that owns a vehicle.

It would be different if the vehicle had a WA title but no plates.

It may have been said earlier that the SF-97 is a "title" created by the military when they sell it off. It's only good for the person that bought the item and it can't be transferred to another person.

Last edited:

kurtkds

When I bought my truck from a private seller, all he had was a SF97 and GLs bill of sale to him. He wrote me a bill of sale, gave me the bill of sale from GL to him, and the SF97. I took it all to the DMV, had a clerk inspect the Vin, all in all it took me about 15 minutes from the time my number was called until I was done. Four weeks later, a title showed up at my house.

This was in Oregon. I dont know how Washington treats these things. Hope I helped a little.

I used to live in OR and It seems like they are not a strict when it comes to vehicle tabs and titling since they don't get a whole lot of revenue for tabs (every 2 years) not requiring plates on trailers under 3k pounds (IIRC).

When I tried to deal with the DMV in Olympia because my local rep didn't know what to do, was told that every person that owned a vehicle had to pay to have it titled.

The Janiter

Guys; every state is differant - some charge a tax, some do not - that being said,
"The Gov." does not pay tax!

GL - sends you a invoice, if it shows tax charged on the sale then the product sold had a tax paid but not nessicarly for vehicle tax - in Arkansas the tax on used vehicles does not start under $2500.00 - $2500 + you pay 7% for the amount over the $2500.

I baught a M37 out of Texas, no title, just bill of sale - never titled (fire dept. hand me down) - here if the truck was never titled then you inspect by the county sherrif - verify vin # do the paper work and the Rev. Dept runs a serch for title - if it's clear you have a title and tag (with insur.) a non running vehicle can not be titled - just registered.

I build const. projects for the gov. if we have a contract for a total amount, they pay no tax. We pay tax on every thing we buy for that project unless there are special conditions.

Just the way it is.

Michael

The Janiter

I left out that Fire Depts that get these and other trucks from the gov. can sell them with a bill of sale and some states will accept this from a rural dept or like the Ark. forestry comm. others maybe not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks