• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 Retrieval....Kind'a

AZDeuce

About 4 1/2 years ago I bought M35A2 from Mark Blair in CA, a few months after that I came down with cancer. The Lord healed me, and I've been cancer free for 2 years now, but still a little weak.

About 8 months ago I was put in touch with a lady (Connie) who had a deuce she wanted to get rid of.......cheap, turned out to be a M135 she and her X-husband used to build their house up in the hills. From her phone description it sounded pretty rough, but she finally emailed me some pictures and it was in pretty good shape. I decided to go for it. When she found out I wanted to restore it and not turn it into a monster truck, she just gave it to me, as in FREE!

Now THAT'S my favorite price!

This meant pulling ALL that maintenance on my deuce that should have been done years ago. I CLR'd the cooling system (made a noticable differance!), installed new hoses, and belts, changed all the fuel filters, and of course the oil and filters, checked and replenished all the drivetrain fluids, and tightened the drive shaft bolts as EVERYONE was loose! Lubed her zerk fittings, and various other little things.

When tightening up the front driveshaft I was able to rotate the driveshaft to get to all the bolts.......I thought "how convienent".....but something in the back of my brain said "this ain't right," but I forgot about it and went on my way. I put my tarp on the bed figuring we'd be spending the night in the deuce, as it was a 400 mile+ drive both ways, loaded up all the stuff i could think of for a retrieval, and called her good.

I have a friend who has a nice 32" equipment trailer that he converted to 12V and 24V so we could use it with military trucks or civilian, so I asked to borrow it, and he had it waiting for me with the tool boxes full of tie downs, straps spares, etc. I work 4-10s and am off Sun-Tues. My plan was to stage the trailer at his place (about 30 miles from my house) and leave the truck there then I'd work Sat, then come home grab a few hours sleep then pull out with the deuce/trailer around midnight.

Sounded like a good plan, but on Friday night when I hooked up the trailer the brake lights weren't playing well with my Deuce, my friend said he'd sort it out in the morning so it would be ready to go Sat night. He did, and it was! My problem was Sat after work I couldn't sleep in anticipation of my first deuce road trip, and all the thoughts running through my mind about what could go wrong, and HOW EXPENSIVE it would be to fix.

My best friend Marc met me at the truck and by 0030 hrs we were finally on the road. Another friend, Bill was going to follow us up several hours later in his deuce, and his friend Jim, in his civilian GMC 4x4 crewcab, as they were going our way, then on up into CO or UT to deliver the deuce to it's new
owner. So we kinda had backup if needed.

My deuce is running 395s and I heard it would be a dog on the hills, it was but not as bad as I anticipated, I figured I'd be in low range 2nd gear at about 12-15 MPH on the steep hills. I did have to use low range several times but was usually in 4th or 5th, and managed around 20 MPH......WOO-HOO! It was COLD up North and snow was predicted, but never materialized, but it was definitely COLD.......well to us AZ desert types anyway. Fortunately my friend while fixing the trailer lights saw that my deuce had no heater (we don't need no stink'n heaters in AZ!), and he duct taped the entire windshield area to keep out the cold, and rain. THANKS!

We got through the Navajo Reservation, and came to a major intersection at first light, Bill supposidly was about 20 minutes behind us at our last fuel stop, but here 2-3 hours later he still hadn't caught up with us, he knew where we were going, and I didn't. Of course on the Res I couldn't get him on the cell, but I did manage to wake up Connie and get directions, she was about 30 miles away.

On the flatlands I was anywhere between 50 and 55 MPH, which with the 395s was probably around 53-58 MPH, considering I was pulling a 32' "aircraft carrier" behind me, we weren't doing to bad (yes I do have a CDL). The coolant temperature stayed right around 170-180 no matter how steep the hill, or how hard we were pulling. That CLR stuff REALLY works!

We arrived at Connies, but had to drop the trailer and proceed up her 2 mile driveway, that I like to call the "road from ****." It was rough with severe drop offs, there was an EXTREMELY tight 90 degree turn, at the end of a steep climb, at the last 100 yards to her place, she said she always had to back up the 135 when they used it. I walked it first and figured I "might' be able to make it in one attempt.

WRONG!

I had the airshift on, and was in low range BEFORE starting up, once on top I had to back up with Marc making sure I didn't back off the 50 yard drop off, and Connie watching the front. I backed up on to the edge, was HOPING to hold her with the parking brake and SLOWLY get on the accelerator, and let out the clutch until I felt them "bite" then let off the parking brake and ease up the hill....all proffesional like and stuff. But it wasn't to be, the parking brake wouldn't hold her at this steep angle, and everything I tried allowed the truck to inch closer to the drop off.

With a no balls no glorry attitude I reved up the engine popped the clutch and with rocks flying eveywhere, it SLOWLY started to grab, and inch forward, once it was moving I backed off on the RPMS and got her up the hill......I'm still pulling canvas seat cusion out of my butt! That was TOO close for my liking!

We worked all day trying to get the M135 to run, it had been about 7 years or so since the last time. We pulled the carb at least 3 times, and Connie was the most help, being a certified A/P on DC-6s up in Alaska! After a LONG day it was a no go, so Connie put us up for the night, and I passed out after being up for over 24 hours. But not before coming up with a Plan B.....actually a suicidal plan.

I did not want to go home empty handed, so I figured I could tie a tire to my front bumper, with my 50,00lbs tow strap wrapped up to give me about 5-6 feet between vehicles. I could pull and push the M135, and hold her back going down the road from ****.......with the M135 in front, and my deuce in the rear with Marc driving the M135.

They all looked at me like I was crazy.......bunch of cowards.

Well about 3AM I woke to the call of nature, and couldn't get back to sleep thinking of all the things that could go wrong with my plan, and how most likely I'd kill my best friend, and when the 135 went over the hill it would be dragging me and the M35 with it. FINALLY common sense kicked in and I decided not to do that!

At breakfast I announced that we would not attempt Plan B and received a hearty round of applause from all involved. They said we'd spend a few hours trying to get her to run, I said I'd give'm an hour, as it was a 9 hour trip back to Buckeye. After playing for an hour with no further success, I said let's pack it up. Bill came up with a good idea, so I ran it passed Connie and she agreed.

We took the carb off, so I could buy a kit and rebuild it, then get all the distributor internals especially a new coil as we had weak spark, when I got everything together I'd send her the parts, and money for 2 batteries, and when she got it reassembled and running she'd call me. Then we'd make a return trip, once we KNEW we could drive her out.

So we packed up, headed back down the road from **** without incident, except at that fist hard 90 degree turn, where again I had to back up, but the truck wouldn't do it, so with Marc out guiding me I went forward with my right front tire just inches from going over the ledge....but we made it. For some strange reason Marc decided to ride the running board down instead of climbing in the cab.

Once down to ground zero, we hooked up the trailer and ran all of our saftey checks, lights and brakes, connections SEVERAL times just to be sure we had it all under control....we did. We said our goodbyes, and all headed to our seperate ways.

About 15 miles down the paved road I was shocked to see that I had left the truck in front wheel drive, I flipped the swich excpecting terrible things to happen, but we rolled merrily along..........it still hadn't dawned on me that the front end had not been working the whole trip, but in the back of my mind I knew something wasn't correct.

We got home safe and sound, with no incidents the entire trip, except for the non working front axle. The truck ran FAR better than I had anticipated, and used less fuel than I thought she would.

Except for having to come home without the M135, and the front axle problem that almost killed me on that 90 degree turn from **** it was a pretty good trip, although being 6'4" a 8-9 hour deuce trip sure gets hard on the butt, and legs.

But I'll be doing it again, as soon as I get a new front axle in my truck, (already on it's way), then getting the parts and carb rebuilt and sent to Connie, once all that is accomplished once I hear the M135 is running, my return trip plans will then be dependent on the weather conditions as there are some severe snow areas between Connies place and mine......and I DON'T do snow! (a man's got to know his limitations)

That was the longest road trip I'd ever done in a MV, even in the Marines! My respect sure goes out to you guys who drive these things across country! Even with the sore butt, and the no-working front axle, and the fact I had to come home empty handed, it was a great adventure....and I WILL be doing a repeat sometime in 2010, as soon as all repairs are made, and the weather will permit me to do so.

waayfast

Some days you win--somedays you don't,but at least you lived to fight another day!Even if ya don't "win" and get it home the first time ,just going and doing is what its all about.Kinda like hunting trips I suppose.
JJ

AZDeuce

Kinda like a hunting trip, it's almost a relief to go home empty handed cause that's when the REAL work begins! At least now I have some retrieval experience under my belt, and will do things differently the next time.

I should have realized when the front drive shaft moved something was wrong....in the back of my head I knew it, but didn't think it thru, and I was still brain dead on the hard curve both up and down when the rear wheels would only hop.....that's a sure sign the front isn't pulling. If I had realized the front end wasn't working I'd have never gone up that road. Thank Goodness God looks out for us morons!

On the next trip the front WILL be working, and HOPEFULLY I'll have my winch installed as a back up, although with the front end working, I'm sure the winch will never be needed.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
before you pull the front axle, pull both hub outer caps to make sure someone didn't put free wheelers in so there is less drag running down the road. free wheelers are caps with splines removed so the wheels are not turning the third member. this sure sounds like this may be the case, a lot of people use free wheelers for everyday use and have a set of splined caps for when the front is needed, ask kenny about needing front drive but having desplined caps in, the desplined capes are a poor mans unlocked / locked hub
hope thios helps

AZDeuce

I got lot's of pictures but I have webtv not a REAL computer, if some one wants to post them I'll be happy to forward them to you.

As to the free wheeling "milled out" hubs I was HOPING for that, but alas no luck. I jacked the truck up from both sides, one side at a time, hoping I could spin a wheel and see the drive shaft move with one or the other, but it didn't move with either. Either I have 2 broken axles or a bad differential. Either way to expidite getting on the road again I've got a complete front end on the way from a friend. I'll swap out the entire front end so I can stay mobile, and deal with the old axle later. At least that's the plan........of course, so far all my plans haven't been going the way I hoped :)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i still feel it could be hubs, if both are milled then turning the wheel WILL NOT turn the shaft, if things turn fairly smoth in still betting a good chance on the hubs, it would be VERY unlikely to have TWO broken axles and a broken third member will almost always give you a bunch of noise

AZDeuce

73m819:

I should have gone into more detail on my last post, sorry. Yeah, I thought the same thing and pulled off a front hub to check......alas it had all it's splines intact....so much for the simple fix!

My truck is a 53 Reo, that was updated to A2 status in 85, it's probabably been rode hard and put up wet, that's the only explanation.....I guess. When I engage the airshift with the truck in neutral, idling, wheels chocked I can't turn the front drive shaft, but as soon as I switch the front axle off, the drive shaft will spin free by hand.

This tells me my problem lies in my front axle not the transfercase. Whether my problem lies in some broken axles, the differential, or a combination of both, I don't know yet. I have a complete hub to hub KNOWN to work axle on it's way, to keep the truck from being down an extended period of time I plan to swap out the entire front end, and keep her mobile.

When I get the time I will tear into the original front axle just to see what's going on, and whether or not it's worth fixing, besides, I'm just curious as to what went wrong. After the axle swap, I have to lift up the engine to get to the injector pump (IP), as it's leaking, and it's right next to the steering box......I'd like to get my hands on that engineer!

I went to tighten up the inlet hose from the primary fuel filter to the bottom of the IP where it connects on the bottom, as I thought that's where it was leaking from, but when I put a wrench on the hose fitting the whole housing wiggled! I'm sure nothing good can come from that! It also explains why the left half of the bottom of the truck is coated in diesel! That can't be good for mileage! So I need to find out and fix what ever is going on down there.....but I'll have to lift the motor up a good 6-8" to do so.

After that I plan to install a winch, I have everything levers, drive shaft, PTO, bumper extensions, off of a parts truck, I just need a working winch. The guy I'm getting the axle from is going to set me up at a reasonable price, so pretty soon I will have the truck mechanically sound, and set up the way I want it. After that some sandblasting, and some paint,.....maybe some new troop seats, and I'll call her good!

It's taken 4+ years, but we're finally getting there!:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks