• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CJ10a Flightline Tug --> 4wd Pickup Truck

DrJekl

My tug should be on the road Monday evening pending a shift kit, seat belts, seats and headliner. I put the bed liner in the cab last night, painted the rest of the inside of the cab today, bed is getting paint as I type this. Heading over tomorrow to install the bed, rear bumper, roof panel, and finish wiring the lights and fuel tank in. I am heading to Korea in a month so she will be sitting for three years but I will have something when I come home.

Link to my website with progress on it:

Jeep CJ-10 Diesel Projec

Page two has the most recent progress. Page three will have the assembled Jeep.

DrJekl

Some new pics. I have some wiring issues to nail down and am waiting on the interior to come back from the shop. Insurance kicks in this evening and I should have most everything done tomorrow night.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some new pics. I have some wiring issues to nail down and am waiting on the interior to come back from the shop. Insurance kicks in this evening and I should have most everything done tomorrow night.
Somewhere, I think it's in this thread, I mentioned how much these tugs were "difficult" to use. For that matter, I flat out hated towing anything with them. They were great for driving down to the fuel barn or over to one of the other Squadrons for a parts scrounge but towing, yuk. They were poorly designed for towing UH-1N helicopters because of the transmission. I can think of only one other tug that was worse out of probably 2 dozen different models I used in the Marine Corps and the Air Force. You taken a monster and turned it into a work of art. Well Done! And thank you for sharing the pictures!:beer:
Have a good tour in Korea. I escaped that place. Went instead to Iceland for two tours. Probably should have split it to one and one. Oh well. Have a great Time, keep safe and thank you for your service! I hope you're going to Osan and not Kunsan. I hear those winds stink on ice!
Jeff

Last edited:

DrJekl

Thanks! I will get it outside and get some better photos this week.

Flying into Osan but will be stationed Seoul at Yongsan. I have not been to Korea since 1995! Should be fun!

DrJekl

I had some wiring issues kicking my arse. Ended up being bad grounds. Still have a brake warning light on all the time and no speedo. The trans is weaker than I like but she runs out okay.

The Scout pan is a great idea but the Scout pick up tube does not work on a Jeep oil pump!

Several little rat turds to work out and I am good to hook on this thing. Took her on her maiden run last night and once today. Found out (I knew this but did it anyway) the gashole in a YJ will not take diesel at the pumps. Seems they make a diesel spicket bigger so folks do not fill their gassers up with diesel. So, I have to take out the restricter deal so I can put diesel in her. The funnel is not doing it for me right now!

:beer:

DrJekl

I had the tug on the road for about two months. She did pretty well on fuel, decent amount of power on the road but she is not sporting a LS1 so you have to keep that in mind. I would do some things differently now (gas hole is one spot giving me headaches) after running into some slight issues. The folks in TN seem to run more Jeeps and I got a lot of looks and waves but the Jeep snobs at the local Jeep club and their $40K Jeeps with $25K in bolt on shiite are too good to be parked near my old CJ-10. I took her to Missouri with me when we moved out of the house en route to Korea and there did not seem to be as many Jeep people in Columbia, MO like I remember there being. I left for Korea 11 June so I had her on the road for about nine days before I left and she is in storage at my Dad's house. I still need to finish a few things on it when I get home.

My other CJ-10 project is still down in TN and will be getting put together for me by a friend who builds offroad Jeeps. I have a 5.3L engine, 4L80E, NP-205 for it, 60 front, 14 bolt rear with 4.56 gears. I was going to build the bed from an old YJ tub but I may just buy one of the aluminum tubs for it that come out of Canada. The run about $2500 but if you figure time and materials, the end result is the same money either way you go.

CJ10KIP

Found the next one,,, gotta love a 10

Thank Y'all for the thread, I've been looking for a tub for 5+ years since I sold my 8. Picked up a tub a month or so ago, I have it on a 7 frame to get it off the ground to motivate/lookatme with 7 fenders, and I'm thinking about putting it on a Wagoneer with a M101 narrowed dump bed. The build is up in the air at the moment. I need your input and pics , Ill post the starts shortly-----Thanks-Kip

CJ10KIP

Found the next one,,, gotta love a 10

Thank Y'all for the thread, I've been looking for a tub for 5+ years since I sold my 8. Picked up a tub a month or so ago, I have it on a 7 frame to get it off the ground to motivate/lookatme with 7 fenders, and I'm thinking about putting it on a Wagoneer with a M101 narrowed dump bed. The build is up in the air at the moment. I need your input and pics , Ill post the starts shortly-----Thanks-Kip

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks