• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CJ10a Flightline Tug --> 4wd Pickup Truck

jamesfrom180

One bite of the elephant at a time. :driver: I think it would be worth wile eventually to add the cover but like you said leaving it stock would have made one long rig. With the headache rack it might not look right. I really like the idea of a smaller bobber and think the cover route would continue it.

gavan

I dont know if Uncle Sam ever tried that truck, but the Aussies did, and they have a similar top to the trucks. I have no idea if you can get this stuff imported to the US, but it would be a pain in the ass, I am sure.

No clue what that truck air foil type thing is.

Attachments

gavan

Nothing further on the headache rack. The guy makes them one at a time, and it may take awhile to get it here. I have plenty of time. I have found some pictured of Aussie CJ-10s with a headache rack very similar to what I am going to use, I think it looks good.

Attachments

gavan

Now back to my hunk of junk. I am looking at the diesel tank mount. This tank fits pretty well here, but it is big and interesting, to say the least. I am not sure if it is too over the top. There will be a tool box under the bed that will hang down almost as much as the tank, and the tank is still a good ways above the ground. This would keep the tank out of the bed and leave room for the possibility of making it a dump sometime in the far off future.

Good? Bad? Horrible?

Attachments

jamesfrom180

I prefer the flat top to the air foil monster. In all honesty if I was going to go through the hassle of importing I would get a hilux. Looks a little low in your pics for my taste. I think, I would have gone with a tank that doubled as a running board. Tucked up tight against the frame rail and the rocker. Round tank like that waste alot of room. But definitely continuous your mini-deuce lines.

looking good though. Can't wait till you get it in one color. So far it'll turn heads, but eventually should twist them right off.

Last edited:

gavan

Looking at how my top is put together, I bet that airfoil looking thing is a flip down top. It looks like you can just push it forward and have the whole roof open, probably good when you need to jump up on the seats and shoot at people through the roof.

May be a little more useful, but still ugly.

gavan

That is one of jscherb's drawings. I should ask him nicely and see if he would do one of mine! His drawings are somewhat to scale, and that one is based off of stock wheels. Not only will a 37 inch tire not fit on the bed rail in that direction, by back is killing me trying to figure out how to get all 135ish pounds of tire, wheel and runflat up there!!!

If you do a google image search for jscherb you will have a bunch of neat pictures/drawings/ideas for anything Jeep Pickup related.

Those are cool tanks, but I really want 35 gallons as a minimum. I am thinking about under bed tanks, I might be able to fit one out of a shortbed pickup. For now my 35 gallon in bed tank will work to get the project running. I can always use a 35 gallon in bed tank and a 35 gallon under bed tank if I need to drive non-stop to California - at a proposed 25 MPG 7 gallons will take me a long way.

I was thinking about using one of those tanks as a water/meth tank, though...

I got the cab lined in Upol liner, and the running boards, one step closer...

jamesfrom180

Sweet. Thanks for the citation I pulled it somewhere and just didn't remember where. What ever rendering software he uses is nice. Yeah Gavan since yours is up in the air that pics wouldn't work. There is an 11 gall scratch and dent on that site I posted. Slightly discounted. I'm still thinking a pretty stock stance would be capable for most of the stuff I do.

DrJekl

Mine is already in a million pieces. 5.3L Vortec/LS1 type engine, 4L80, NP205, 60 front and 14 bolt from a CUCV. The bed is being made from an old YJ tub back half, half doors and an inside the cab roll bar. Basically a big jigsaw puzzle right now. Was going to use the M101 bed at one point but decided against it.

gavan

Do you have a build thread for it anywhere? I am trying to get all of the cj-10 information in one place. I kinda have a soft spot for these ugly things.

THE Official CJ-10a thread!! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I am trying to get all of the build threads I can find in the same place so everyone interested can browse through it and get some ideas. There are a couple links to photobucket accounts as well, it does not have to be anything in depth.

Thanks!

Even a full size pic of your avatar would look good in the thread!!

DrJekl

I don't. Everything I am doing has already been done so I figured I'd just throw up a photo when it gets finished. Based on the speed of my project, that may be some time to come!

gavan

Everything I am doing has already been done so I figured I'd just throw up a photo when it gets finished.
Think of it as a set of boobs. Sure you have seen a couple in your life, but you wont turn down looking at another set, will you? Everyone loves an in process pic. Then I know someone is going as slow as I am!

Got the body mocked up at least, hopefully for the last time. Need to do some painting, though!!

I also got the body lined in Upol Raptor liner. Seems good so far, we will see how it holds up.

Attachments

jamesfrom180

From those shots you really get the half size bobber feel. Really wish there was a better configuration for the headlights. That is a jeep only a father would love.
rofl
Looking good gavan. Looks like your ready for some primer. What shape is your hard top in?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks