• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virginia DMV requirements

I sent a question to the Virginia DMV on their website with the following question. "I am purchasing a surplus military vehicle from the US government soon. I will receive a SF-97 form after purchasing the truck. The truck has never been titled before. What do I need to do to register this truck in Virginia? The email response I got about 10 days later is posted below.

You will be required to submit the following:
An assigned and completed Standard Form 97 (SF-97).
An "Application for Certificate of Title and Registration" (VSA-17A).
Proof of address.

Th VIN number should be on form SF-97. If not you will need to apply for replacement VIN plate.

If the original VIN plate has been lost, stolen, or destroyed a replacement VIN plate can be obtained by submitting the "Application for Assigned VIN" (VSA 22) and the Virginia title. The replacement VIN plate will be made to show the original VIN assigned to the vehicle.

Evidence of ownership
Virginia title.
Forms
VSA 22 "Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number"
Note: The name on the VSA 22 must be the same as on the title.
Fees
$ 5.00 for replacement VIN plate
$125.00 for inspection (DMV Investigator MUST install the assigned VIN plate.)
$10.00 Substitute title

The following documents will need to be submitted to DMV to title and register a vehicle:

1. Title properly assigned by the seller(s) to the buyer(s):
A. If presenting a Virginia title, the "Assignment of Title by Owner" and "Application for New Owner Certificate of Title and Registration" sections on the Virginia title must be completed.
B. If purchased out of state, the previous owner's out-of-state title signed over to the buyer must be presented. A completed "Application for Title and Registration" (VSA 17A) will also need to be submitted.

2. Proof of Address

3. Proof of purchase price, such as a bill of sale, or the seller's declared sale price on the title. The bill of sale can be a handwritten statement signed by the seller and purchaser or a "Supplemental Information for Procurement of Title" form (SUT 1) signed by the seller and purchaser. A notarized "Affidavit for Procurement of Title" form (SUT 1A) will be required for vehicles 5 years old or newer. The bill of sale or SUT 1 will be accepted for vehicles more than 5 years old.
You may use the following link to download any necessary forms from our website.

http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/forms/index.asp

Virginia requires every registered vehicle to be insured with minimum liability coverage with an insurance company licensed to do business in Virginia or the owner may choose to pay the Uninsured Motor Vehicle fee.

When a vehicle is sold or transferred, the mileage (odometer reading) must be recorded in the assignment section of the title by the seller. If an out-of-state title does not have an assignment section, the seller may record the mileage on an "Odometer Disclosure Statement" form (VSA-5) available from DMV. Non-passenger vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 16,000 pounds or more are not required to disclose the odometer reading.

If you are titling a vehicle with a model year that is at least 10 years or older than the current calendar year and the out-of-state title shows that the vehicle was exempt from odometer disclosure, then no odometer disclosure is required for a Virginia title. You must present the out-of-state title showing the exemption when titling the vehicle in Virginia; otherwise, an odometer reading is required.

If the odometer reading is not actual, the seller must inform the buyer that it is incorrect by checking the appropriate box under the odometer certification statement ("exceeds actual limits" or "odometer reading is not the actual mileage"). The seller must give a fair estimate of the vehicle's actual mileage.

To obtain a Virginia title and registration, the following fees will be collected:

- $10.00 for titling

- Sales and Use Tax - 3% of the purchase price or $35.00 minimum (whichever is greater). If you do not have proof of the price that you paid for the vehicle, the 3% will be assessed on the official NADA trade-in value.

- Registration fee - based on the empty or gross weight of the vehicle. You may click on the following link to access DMV's Fee Chart.

http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/citizen/fees.asp

**If you need to respond to this email, please return to DMVnow.com and click on Contact Us. Your secure online form will be delivered and you will receive a delivery confirmation.**

I will have a copy of this email with me when I get my SF-97 from GL and go to the DMV. Wish me luck. By the way, I received this email on November 12, 2009, so it's recent info.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys in VA get FL titles? In MD, we get the SF97 filled out to GL and a FL dealer transfer form. Fortunately, it works...so far!

johnfrombeyond

Like Divemaster said, you will get a title from Florida. I had no trouble getting my tags at the Waynesboro DMV, I did have to get truck tags due to the weight of the truck, no big deal though. Good luck.

Lorax

I've registered 4 vehicles at the Va DMV from GL, and one from a private seller (BKubu, howdy Bruce!). Only once was there a problem. That problem happened when I gave the DMV the vehicle inspection form. The first two trucks, I volunteerily decided to get a DMV officer to come over and do a vehicle inspection and VIN verification. Both times, the DMV officer gave me a sheet saying the VIN was correct.

When registering the first truck, I decided to give the DMV ONLY what they asked for. They didn't ask for the VIN sheet, so I didn't give it to them. GL had sent the SF-97 form, a Fl title, and a bill of sale. The DMV used the SF-97 and bill of sale, they didn't care about the Fl title. All went well. Registered as an antique.

The second vehicle, I decided to be generous and also hand over the VIN verification sheet. Big mistake. The DMV clerk took one look at the VIN sheet and said "we can't register this vehicle". When asked why, they responded "having that VIN sheet means the VIN is in question, so we can't do anything to help you, have a nice day"... After mentioning that the VIN sheet verified the VIN the response was "sorry, can't help you...NEXT!". Lesson learned. NEVER volunteer ANYTHING to the DMV!

The latest truck (my beautiful M814) was simple too. That truck had a Maryland title, and a bill of sale. Transfer of ownership and getting a new title was easy at the DMV. After doing the no volunteering of info deal, and the DMV clerk raising an eyebrow about the truck weight/size/etc and saying "good luck with your mystery truck"...I was out the door.

So, from my experiences at the DMV in Poquoson and Newport News Va, to register a truck (specifically a deuce) gotten from GL, you need the SF-97 and bill of sale from GL. NO(!) VIN sheet!!! If GL is no longer sending out SF-97s, then it's a crap shoot. But it's always a crap shoot at the DMV.

Last edited:

4trans

It should be no dig deal to transfer florida title to VA title but then it is the govt we are talking about

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks