• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$575 to Title

kevinaj

I just got off the phone with International Title. They quoted me $575 to title a deuce with no title or SF-97 in Maryland after many phone calls. This sounded exceedingly high. I was expecting $200 based on what others here had written.

They claim that the 13000 lb weight is the issue at hand.

What is everyone paying to get a title for a 1970 M35A2?

Thanks,
Kevin

Scarecrow1

Man I know it seems high but be glad they offer this .... and so fast unless the law has changed in SC it takes almost as much but with a 9 or 10 month wait for a salvage title .ON TOP OF THE WAIT AND THE COST it kills the resale of it for the future of the truck ..

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Bond for your title, its got to be wayy less. - Jay

ITS prices might have gone up since all the mess about AL titles and stuff. They actually might have to work harder.

area52

Check to see if you can get a "surety bond". Basically an insurance bond for your title.

Thats how I did it and it cost me a grand total of $67 with a bill of sale only to get a title from NM

FrankUSMC

Go with a bonded title. I have posted this before, here in North Carolina, they are cracking down on title companies. Maybe that is why they are charging you so much, they can see the writing on the wall and are trying to make as much money as they can before they are shut down.
That would be very bad, if you pay them the $575, and next year a Maryland state trooper shows up and tells you to surrender the title as it is no good. You are out the money and you still have an untitled truck.
They showed up here at my house and was asking me about a truck that was titled years ago by a title company. I was the third owner, and they still were able to find me (the first owner used a title company)
Go the bonded title way, so you do not lose any sleep over it.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

kevinaj

Wow, Thanks for the quick replies!

As far as I can tell, Maryland does not do "bonded titles" or "Surety bonds". If someone can offer information on the contrary, I'd be greatly appreciative.

If the original owner could acquire an SF-97, could it be created in my name directly or would he have to title the vehicle before selling it to me?

As I understand it, ITS is the only titling company willing to title a Deuce. Is trying Broadway a waste of my time?

Apparently, I picked the worst state to attempt this in.

Thanks,
Kevin

area52

Wow, Thanks for the quick replies!

As far as I can tell, Maryland does not do "bonded titles" or "Surety bonds". If someone can offer information on the contrary, I'd be greatly appreciative.

If the original owner could acquire an SF-97, could it be created in my name directly or would he have to title the vehicle before selling it to me?

As I understand it, ITS is the only titling company willing to title a Deuce. Is trying Broadway a waste of my time?

Apparently, I picked the worst state to attempt this in.

Thanks,
Kevin

Ask several sources about bonded titles. I had to go and ask alot of different people including many at the DMV who said NO thats not possible.

Ask how to title a military vehicle that has never been titled before. Tell them you have a bill of sale and thats it.

Search your states vehicle codes or what ever law or statutes tells the DMV how to title a vehicle and ask the State Police also.

littlebob

Every State is different and what was true yesterday may not be true today. Go to the DMV
website for you MD and dig through all the legaleaze language and try to figuire out as soon as you can and before your laws change for the worse, as they don't usually get better.
I would try to also find members in your state that may be able to help to give you some guidance.

JamesM

I was going to have the same problem. The first deuce I wanted to buy had no title or anyhting I could use to title it in my name (short of a bill of sale upon purchase).

Some of the guys on here advised me to run from that deal and look for one with a title because that would save me a lot of time, money, and a few headaches.

I am wanting to suggest the same thing becuase I ran across another truck soon after that is actually a much better deal and the gentleman has a title for it. I am actually going to look at it this weekend.

I am going to repeat what they all told me, "No title, no sale."

It would just make things a lot easier on yourself.

Just my .02

GoHot229

Remember Your part of a can of worms, figureativly, with a heap'o crap for paperwork. My Deuce cost $310 in NC. but I had a title. I'm guessing you should jump on it as these services are fading fast and I see a time in the next fiew month where you won't even be able to use these guys and will have a permanant no-title. Remember, this will only get you a title, not registered. Figure an additional cost of how ever you choose to register, farm, historic, weighted, which ever choice you make, your going to be lucky to get out for less than 1K by time you insure and all.

rideni

bonded titles are not valid in maryland
you can apply with the MVA for a title but that involves inspections, the state police, money, paperwork, and a long wait.
As others have said no title, then don't buy

M725

Been there, MD MVA told me that maryland is a title state. If you do not have a title you do not own it. They advised me not to buy the truck.
SF97 is a diff story.

Earth

"If you do not have a title you do not own it"

Actually, if you do not have a title they are incapable of acknowledging your ownership. Nobody is going to question your ownership, they just won't let you drive it.

Every week there is at least one or more posts from guys dealing with title hassles. It just pisses me off to no end that 40 year old military trucks are caught up in bureaucratic nonsense that is in place to deal with modern vehicles and the sale, theft and financing of said modern vehicles.I'm thankful that for now, I don't have to worry about that herein VT.

surfdog

It doesn't help for you but may help with others. Don't buy a truck unless they can produce a title.
I respectfully disagree - it depends on what state you are in and the year of the truck.

NY does not require (OR ISSUE) a title for pre-1973 vehicles. You get a "transferable registration" from DMV.

I never buy the SF97 from GL on the (pre-1973) trucks I buy and plan to register in NY as all it does is cost me $60 and I still only get a "transferable registration" from DMV. Don't know if this is any good in all other states but I think many states accept it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks