• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$575 to Title

Earth

Thanks surfdog. Here in VT, it's 15 years or older is not issued a title, and you get a transferable registration. I don't buy the SF97 either because I don't need it and as a matter of principle. The only document I can therefore give someone in the event I sell a truck is a signed over registration.

ida34

Try putting in for a lost title with this form. http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-018.pdf

Bonded titles are requests for replacement titles for lost titles. Some states require the bond when the vehicle does not show up in the computer as being titled or registered and the owner does not have any proof of ownership such as an old registration in his name. The bond is in case another person comes along that has the title. The original title always trumps newer titles. This is why you take a gamble when getting a vehicle without a title. If they guy who does have the title shows up and wants his truck back you loose. Most of us are going this with a truck we personally got from GL and we know there is no other title. If you get a truck from an individual you can never be sure someone else does not have the original title for the truck. The bond is in case the legal owner surfaces.

Try the above form but make sure you know who you got the vehicle from. Only the person holding the original title is the legal owner.

Car thieves get titles for stolen vehicles form other states and sell the vehicles. Even with a proper title the original owner with the original title is the only legal owner.

stumps

I just got off the phone with International Title. They quoted me $575 to title a deuce with no title or SF-97 in Maryland after many phone calls. This sounded exceedingly high. I was expecting $200 based on what others here had written.

They claim that the 13000 lb weight is the issue at hand.

What is everyone paying to get a title for a 1970 M35A2?

Thanks,
Kevin
In Maryland, you can take your bill of sale, and other information to the Court of Mandamus, and get the judge to order the MVA to give you a title. It is a routine function that I believe you can do for yourself.

Call, or write the MVA, and they will explain the process.

-Chuck

Dragon15601

For quick resolution of problems like you stated. Contact your local state Representative.
No title or being unable to transfer to my state is a deal breaker for me.. I would have been out the money and had to resort to parting out the vehicle to re-coup any value. Good Luck.

3rdmdqm

Stumps is correct. I just went through this inquiry process in Md. If you do not have a title and MVA refuses to grant one, you go and apply for a "Writ of Mandumus." As he stated, this is a court order ordering the MVA to title it. They will only do so after you demonstrate to their satisfaction that you are the legitimate owner and no title is available. There are certain things you can do first and the MVA Title examiner will look at them and determine if they will issue a title before getting the writ. If done and MVA then refuses to issue a title, you take the refusal and the following documents (which you already obtained from, completed and presented to MVA) to the court and obtain the Writ of Mandumus. Once you get the Writ of Mandamus, you take that writ/order and those same documents back to the MVA and obtain the title. The following are what you try first at MVA and if rejected take them to the court house for the writ:
MVA form VR-181 - Bill of sale, must be notarized
Certified Statement - This is a statement by the seller saying how he acquired the vehicle listing the make, model and vin, that there is no title and why. Must be notarized. This form is also obtained from MVA.
Letter of Indemnification Form VR-321 - This is your statement indicating how you (the buyer) acquired the vehicle and that there is no title or SF-97 etc available. Must be notarized.
Photographs of the vehicle from all 4 sides

This is an unusual process and most MVA clerks are not familiar with it and will probably tell you it can't be done. You will have to ask for a title supervisor, that is how I obtained the correct information and was sent the forms.

I was lucky and while getting these together, the seller obtained the title with SF-97 and signed the title over to me so I did not have to take this route which is a major PIA. However it can be done and would have been done in my case had the seller not come through.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Georgia if the truck is older than 1985 you do not need a title and if it has never been title before 1985 they will not title it .I have tryed more than one time any thing after 1986 you can get it titled in Georgia it takes a little time and going to the tax man to pay the rest of the sales tax that GL did not get when you got the truck . You will also have to have a police officer check the ID number and fill out a form them off to the DMV.
AEC Tony
2 M35A2
3 M35A2
1 M109
1 M816
1 M1031
1 M1008
2 M1009
5 M105A
1 M516

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I live here in Md and let me tell you what the state Police Told me. Selling a vehicle to another person in this state without a title is illegal. Thanks 3rdMDqm on a lesson in dealing with no title. Beware buying a truck without paperwork unless you like dealing with judges and court...

stumps

I live here in Md and let me tell you what the state Police Told me. Selling a vehicle to another person in this state without a title is illegal. Thanks 3rdMDqm on a lesson in dealing with no title. Beware buying a truck without paperwork unless you like dealing with judges and court...
The MD state police seem to know lots of things that aren't true.

-Chuck

bill45colt

Good in Alabama. Prior to 1967 manufacture, no titles are issued from this state. I bought 5 trucks from GL, no SF-97 came with them, only bill of sale. State issued licenses for $100/yr, insurance costs me $105/yr.

kevinaj

To finally bring this thread full circle, I just received my Maryland certificate of Title today! It's been a long drawn out process. Between the time I spent learning about how all this was supposed to work, the time I spent working on the truck to get it fixed up to the point where I felt confident spending money on the titling process, and the time for the paperwork to clear, it has been 14 months.

I did go the International Title route. It took three attempts for them to actually get me the paperwork. The packet they sent me had a price of $590 handwritten on it by ITS after telling them everything about the vehicle and the $3000 bill of sale. I filled out the remaining forms and mailed them a notarized bill of sale (It's mandatory that it is notarized. $3 from a local packing/shipping/mailing company). Several weeks later, they called me to say that the price would actually be $890. I was stunned at the price difference. They blamed it on the GVWR. I mailed them the paperwork along with my credit card information (I used a credit card, figuring if I never received anything back from them, I had a means of recovering my money). They later told me that they were able to get it done for the original price of $590. After a number of calls over the next two months, I was finally told that I was waiting on the state of Vermont to get back to them. They also promised to mail the title and registration within 24 hours of receiving it from the Vermont DMV.

Several weeks later, I got historic Vermont plates, a 1-year sticker for the rear plate, and a Vermont registration with my Maryland address (why Vermont would register a vehicle to a Marylander, I don't know). All this and no title.... I called ITS again to ask about the title and to tell them that I needed it registered in Maryland, not Vermont. (They had told me they title Deuces in Maryland all the time and that it wasn't a problem). Their explanation to this was that I had to take the Vermont registration and the paper they included in the mailing explaining that Vermont will not issue a title for a vehicle 15 years old or older to the MVA. The MVA should be able to look up the law in their books, and see that they can infact register and issue a title for the truck. (I felt a little cheated at this point, I paid for a Maryland title...)

In hopes of making the process go a little smoother, I took everything ITS sent me to a local title company, Murray Title & Tag Service in Hampstead, MD. Murray's understood how everything worked and within 7 days was able to hand me the Maryland registration and historic plates. At this point I was told that a Maryland title was in the mail from the MVA and that I should receive it within two weeks. This cost me $140 in fees from the MVA and a $40 fee for the title company.

The $40 spent at the title company was the best $40 I ever spent on the truck, it was nice knowing I wouldn't have to fight the MVA and try to explain everything to the clerks there!

Today, about 1 week after receiving the registration, I got the title officially naming myself as the rightful owner!

I'm glad the ordeal is finally over! For anyone out there looking to title a vehicle, try to get one that's already titled, its a lot less stressful. For those in the same predicament I got myself into, the International Title route does in fact work for Maryland despite not having a title in-hand. It will take lots of phone calls, lots of patience, and some cash to make it happen.

Hopefully, this will help bring some peace of mind to those looking to go this route.

Thanks for all the help from everyone here who got me through the process!
-Kevin

emr

glad it worked out for U, I am not sure why so many people answered u by telling u what the registration in there state cost them, thats not at all what u were asking, oh well, but for sure there are a bazzilion threads on this very issue in this forum, almost every state requires a title , not all but most, it is worth every cent of around 500 to get a title for a mv that does not have one, U may have thought of a different route, maybe look for a parts truck that has a title for the same money or a few more bucks and get a title and a donor vehicle too, and for those goody 2 shoes that say thats illegal, good for them, it works. all the best u got a lot of fun and maintenance on your hands , enjoy it all :)

Bighurt

I'm glad the ordeal is finally over! For anyone out there looking to title a vehicle, try to get one that's already titled, its a lot less stressful.

Glad it all worked out for you. My M35 was purchased surplus no title...

All I did was go to the DMV they drew up a title and off I went. I only paid for the one year of registration as the weight was a killer, and of course a the title fee. But now being 40 she qualifies as historic...and like the others it's just a cheap one time fee. My bill the first time was $425 (included tax) or somewhere around that mark.

Looking at my M915A1 when it makes it here, I'm looking at about the same price without tax. GVWR will get you every time. Year plays a part as well, my F350 is $208, my old K1500 was $54. 5 years older and substantially lighter.

Insurance is whole other ball of worms though.

At least you can sleep easy now.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several weeks later, I got historic Vermont plates, a 1-year sticker for the rear plate, and a Vermont registration with my Maryland address (why Vermont would register a vehicle to a Marylander, I don't know). All this and no title.... I called ITS again to ask about the title and to tell them that I needed it registered in Maryland, not Vermont. (They had told me they title Deuces in Maryland all the time and that it wasn't a problem). Their explanation to this was that I had to take the Vermont registration and the paper they included in the mailing explaining that Vermont will not issue a title for a vehicle 15 years old or older to the MVA. The MVA should be able to look up the law in their books, and see that they can infact register and issue a title for the truck. (I felt a little cheated at this point, I paid for a Maryland title...)

in the thread :International Tittle Service -----At Service by dm22630
1redgmc had issues with ITS and did the vermont regisration himself he explained the entire process in the thread. Perhaps Doghead would be kind enough to add a link to it , I have not figured out how to do the links

armadillofz1

Wow, Thanks for the quick replies!

As far as I can tell, Maryland does not do "bonded titles" or "Surety bonds". If someone can offer information on the contrary, I'd be greatly appreciative.

If the original owner could acquire an SF-97, could it be created in my name directly or would he have to title the vehicle before selling it to me?

As I understand it, ITS is the only titling company willing to title a Deuce. Is trying Broadway a waste of my time?

Apparently, I picked the worst state to attempt this in.

Thanks,
Kevin
I live here in maryland. assuming you got a smoking good deal on this truck, it is now a parts truck. i have dibbs on your winch!

kevinaj

I live here in maryland. assuming you got a smoking good deal on this truck, it is now a parts truck. i have dibbs on your winch!
Sorry to disappoint Armadillofz1, this is no parts truck anymore: I revived this thread to say that it was now titled, registered, and plated and to describe the process for others. :)

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several weeks later, they called me to say that the price would actually be $890. I was stunned at the price difference. They blamed it on the GVWR.

Glad to hear things worked out in the end. I also wanted to add a little info about the GVWR issue for others that might be in the same boat you were.

They like to get GVW and GVWR confused. When it comes to registration GVW is not the same as GVWR. When dealing with a truck bigger then a one ton if the form ask for GVW they are asking "how much combined weight do you want to be able to haul", not what is the vehicle's GVWR. It can be less or it can be more, depending on how you will be using the truck. And since DMV charges higher fees for heavier weights there is no reason to pay for more then you will be using. If you have a 13,000 pound 6x6 with a 25,000 pound GVWR but don't plan on hauling more then 5,000 pounds then all you need to put down on the form for GVW is 18,000 pounds. If you put down the vehicle's GVWR of 25,000 pounds you are paying for an extra 7,000 pounds that you won't be using. So if anyone doing this is not sure check with them and ask whether they want true GVWR or just GVW (total weight you will actually be hauling) This can save you $200-$300. I know it saved me a bunch. I have a semi truck with a 50,000 pound GVWR (76,000 pound CVWR). If I were to get the tags for this weight I would need to carry $300,000 in liability. But if I drop it down to 43,999 pounds of registered weight all I need is $100,000 in liability. As long as I don't cross the scales exceeding 43,999 pounds I'm fine. Also, find out what weight brackets your DMV uses. They usually group weight ranges along the lines of 10,000 to 11,999 pounds, 12,000 to 13,999, etc, etc. If you want to set the GVW as 13,000 why not set it for 13,999. It will still be the same price. This way you get the most bang for your buck. :)

The only trick with GVW is this is combined weight. If you plan on pulling a trailer you need to include the weight of the trailer in the GVW of the registration. GVW is also known as tag weight or registered weight.

Ruppster

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What's a title? $20 to tag anything in Georgia older than 1985. :jumpin:

But back to the OP topic. That is way high for a title bond. I got a toyota bonded once for $125.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks