• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another way to Bob a Deuce!

100dollarman

We have done about 15 Bobbed Deuces now--- for the rear we have used front deuce springs, trailer springs with custom made blocks, and now I am going to try this ---

I cut the section of trailer frame out that has the springs mounted and welded it to the bottom of the Deuce frame---

Has anyone done it like this yet? Pros and cons?

We will be able to keep the overload springs or take them out- have not decided yet.

Started with a M109a3 box truck. Put the box at my house for Mrs. Hundys garden shed!

I have not decided which paint scheme or which wheel and tire combo that we will use on this one yet. Usually they are sold before we start, but we are all caught up right now and I am building this one for stock. Its up for grabs!!!

I'll post pics as it evolves!

Attachments

100dollarman

This one is getting a 105 trailer bed. Probably going to flip the hubs. I have sold all of my Deuce adaptor plates for the HEMMT wheels, but I have more ordered-- if they come in on time we will use the 100dollarman wheels!

ctmustang

Don't really see a problem with that. I'd probably bolt and weld the assembly together. Better safe than sorry! Unless youre hauling a lot of weight I see it working ok:twisted:

100dollarman

Very interesting. People say that deuce front springs are better because they have a higher weight capacity. You have done it both ways, what do you think? :?:

I am not 100% sure, but I do not believe the front springs have a higher capacity. Plus, I think we can keep the overloads on the trailer springs without affecting the ride.

But, I want to hear the facts if anyone has them!!!

BTW- I have front springs in stock to use, but wanted to try this-

waayfast

HHMMMM!!!?? I think I like it!I am toying with the idea of a custom.How does the truck sit with the new mod? Does it make the back higher than the front? How about a side view pic so we can see the "stance"? Good to know the overloads stay with it, just in case gotta haul heavy.
Jim

pjpiche1

My concern would be whether or not the 105 trailer frame is substantial enough to handle the stresses that a truck is going to put on it. All of the 105 trailer frames that I have worked with are nothing more than a piece of 10 ga. bent into a C. Look at it compared to the deuce frame or for that matter just a civi 1/2 ton pickup truck. You will see how dainty the 105 frame really is. My personal opinion, I think it is going to eventually fail.

WyoDeuce

I think this is a very easy way to do a bob. Makes sense too since alot of guys use a frame section to provide bed clearance anyway Lots of guys in the offroad world have trouble with axle wrap. You can control it with a simple anti wrap bar. Kind of like ladder bars on a drag car but just 1 bar with heim joints and a shackle so it will still flex. Not that a deuce has much flex anyway. I haven't heard much in the way of axle wrap complaints from guys with bob's using front springs. Finish it up and go beat on it and let us know how it works. :twisted:

KsM715

If you bob it your not going to be carrying 10k in it, I wouldnt.

I plan on doing mine that way but instead or welding it will get bolted, with fine thread grade 8 hardware.

rat4spd

If you bob it your not going to be carrying 10k in it, I wouldnt.

I plan on doing mine that way but instead or welding it will get bolted, with fine thread grade 8 hardware.

I believe he means that the truck, although bobbed, is still going to weigh north of 10K.

Billy Bobbed

Why is it we try to find that easy way to bob a deuce.If its your truck and your going to keep it,do what you want.But when you build them to sell make sure that its sometyhing you would drive and keep.Just because its easy dont mean its right.

cornrichard

I think he is on to something here. I agree about not welding a bunch on the frame but it is a vertical weld on the frame that usually causes trouble. I think that some small welds like he has and a bolted gusset plate will work well. The torque rod mount is a good idea that I am trying to visualize. I give it a B so far that is well on its way to an A.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks