• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another way to Bob a Deuce!

tco3129

BUMP. mine will be similar to 100dollarman's with a few mods. Less welding, more bolt and brace. Design still rattling around in my head. want to keep track of his.[thumbzup]

ICAT

bobing first deuce and i have a few questions and yes i used the search but no help. just wondering, how much of the frame do you remove if using the deuce shortened deuce bed? i looked on the xm381.com but he is using a 105 bed. if it is the same great and i don't want to reinvent the wheel.

thanks

ballencd

Bobbed Duece Measurements

ICAT,

I cut 36" off my drop side bed to keep the vertical posts balanced as factory. I sectioned the bed (and the drop sides), cutting out one vertical post so I did not have to mess with the front or back of the bed. You can see the evidence of the cuts/welds on the picture of the bed in the dump position.....the bed was cut in the front and the sides were cut in the rear. I then cut 34" off the chassis. When I removed the cross member I reversed it and reinstalled it forward of the original position and bolted it back to back with the one right behind the air tanks for more torsional strength.....you can see this in the picture behind the hoist. My bed, being a dump, overhangs the back of the truck about 8-9 inches....you may want to leave a few more inches on the chassis if you are not doing a dump. If I can help with more pictures or answers let me know.

Later

Charlie

Attachments

ICAT

thanks for the info. my is a dropside also. your pic are really helpful. any more pics would be great.
and thanks again

goldwing2000

Banned
ICAT,

I cut 36" off my drop side bed to keep the vertical posts balanced as factory. I sectioned the bed (and the drop sides), cutting out one vertical post so I did not have to mess with the front or back of the bed. You can see the evidence of the cuts/welds on the picture of the bed in the dump position.....the bed was cut in the front and the sides were cut in the rear. I then cut 34" off the chassis. When I removed the cross member I reversed it and reinstalled it forward of the original position and bolted it back to back with the one right behind the air tanks for more torsional strength.....you can see this in the picture behind the hoist. My bed, being a dump, overhangs the back of the truck about 8-9 inches....you may want to leave a few more inches on the chassis if you are not doing a dump. If I can help with more pictures or answers let me know.

Later

Charlie
Did you move the rear axle back or did you leave it in its original position? Do you have any side-profile pics? I'm in the process of bobbing mine (I'd love to do a dump bed but the $$$ is tight right now) and I'm torn between leaving the axle in place and cutting the bed by 42" or moving the axle back 6" and cutting everything down by 36". Cutting by 36" and leaving the axle in place puts it forward of the centeline of the box and it looks weird when I photoshop it.

ballencd

goldwing2000, I moved the axle back between 11-12" and would have moved it back a few more if I had ordered the hoist kit prior to shortening the chassis. The hoist kit recommended no more then 6" between the rear spring hanger and the hinge pin and mine worked out about 9-10". As it is the dump works fine but I think would "feel" a little better (more stable) if the rear axle were a bit further back. I also choose the 12VDC pump hooked to one battery and it discharges too quickly if I do not leave the truck running all the time while I am working with the tractor. I get about 2-3 dumps before it starts slowing down. I combat that with a charger in the drive on 2 amps which seems to work fine. I only charge the one battery that I am using for the hoist. My plan is the future is to swap to a PTO drive when I can find the parts and the money. It takes me about 40 seconds to dump and the pump runs at about 3 gal/min. The PTO version runs about 8-9 gals/min and would be much quicker. Not a big issue but it would save some time over the long haul.

Hope this helps

Charlie

Attachments

goldwing2000

Banned
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Regarding your hydro setup, I don't know how much you're looking to spend on the PTO drive but have you thought about adding a 12v alternator? You can get a complete setup from Wolverine for like $330 (plus another battery) or put one together yourself for about half that. You won't have the increased flow but you also won't have to buy as many new parts.

Dave08

Very much interested in more pictures of the dump bed process. Do you have a listing of the parts that you had to order (hoist)
Great truck and I think that your worries on axle placement are unfounded. I believe that you will be just fine. Most of the manufacturers have over engineered their safety concerns and this is why they recommend the placement of the hoist and the distance from the axle. I think that you will more than likely cube out prior to over weight in your normal day to day uses for the dump! Fantastic truck! Would really like to see more!
Dave08

goldwing2000

Banned
Very much interested in more pictures of the dump bed process. Do you have a listing of the parts that you had to order (hoist)
Great truck and I think that your worries on axle placement are unfounded. I believe that you will be just fine. Most of the manufacturers have over engineered their safety concerns and this is why they recommend the placement of the hoist and the distance from the axle. I think that you will more than likely cube out prior to over weight in your normal day to day uses for the dump! Fantastic truck! Would really like to see more!
Dave08
Clintdigger97 sells a dump bed kit for $1500, complete.

dixonhotrods

Im buying a 91 M931 A2 This is my first Military truck.It is a 5 ton with a fifth wheel.Im look to bob it.Would love some advice on how to do it and what parts i will need.I will be building a bed so i can haul my rock crawler around on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks