• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How does the multifuel engine actually work?

WyoDeuce

Extremely high compression (~27:1) and extra attention paid to the fuel atomization/spray pattern help to burn different fuels. There is also a fuel density compensator to help with the air/fuel ratio. There is probably also some secret magic voodoo mixed in somewhere.:twisted:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a nutshell: The injector squirts a stream of fuel into a cup in the top of the piston. As it evaporates from the cup, it burns and expands, pushing the piston down. Conventional diesels inject a mist into the cylinder that burns immediately. The evaporation lag is what allows the engine to burn "hot" fuels such as gasoline, without detonation, or the fuel exploding rather than burning. M.A.N., a German company, invented this engine design. Continental called it "Hypercycle".

area52

And they are still mult-fuel even with the fuel density compensator bypassed!! Its mostly in the way the piston/combustion chamber is designed.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do a search for the word "hypercycle"-all your questions shall find answers.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, my old Ford with a 7.3 indirect injected Diesel, 22 to 1 compression, seems to meet those simple specs. Is it therefore a multi-fuel? There has to be more to it. yeah, I know, search, which I shall......

Josh

So, my old Ford with a 7.3 indirect injected Diesel, 22 to 1 compression, seems to meet those simple specs. Is it therefore a multi-fuel? There has to be more to it. yeah, I know, search, which I shall......
Your IDI can handle thinker fuels like WMO, but not thin fuels like gas. Put gas in that engine and your going to need a new one.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Spherical turbulation.jpg

After all these years the new cars use it now, albeit much more sophisticated,
but same same GI.
Would you like to see the patent?
One notices that there is no diesel clanking and banging and nasty noises,
just sweet power from almost anything that will burn.
"Tiss a proper diesel engine.

And I would believe almost anything David Doyle would write but all links broke.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks