• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce & 1/2 Gun Trucks

Driver523

These photos are from the album of Roger Williams---541st Trans------Driver

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you know, i look at the pics, thay remind me of how YOUNG we were over there, and just like the troops who are serving now

Last edited:

Driver523

Bigbee---I know of a Quartermaster outfit that was up in Chu Li that had white noses, I think the 23rd S & T was part of that outfit------as far as knowing of a unit that had both 5 ton and deuces at the same time I have never paid any attention, but I will look around and check into it, but most units started off with the deuce trucks as gun trucks even if they were a 5 ton unit but it wasn't long before they realized they had a hard time keepin up in convoy, thats besides the sand bags getting so heavy in the rain, suspentions giving up, and trucks even breaking in two.-------------------Driver

Driver523

Oh yeah---there was another unit that had color on the nose----the 8th Radio Research up around Da Nang got a few trucks toward the end of the conflict, they got three gun trucks out of PDO after they were turned in---Executioner, Baby Sitters, and Uncle Meat--The colors?---the ones that don't run----Red, White, and Blue------------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

The truck in one piece is named Gun Truck---It was the first gun truck built by the 666th Trans, built right after a terrible ambush Sept. 7th 1967---after that ambush 8th group decided they had to protect their own and the gun trucks of VietNam were born, Although its not really known which truck was FIRST this one was at least close----the next photo is what happened to our trucks far to often, I don't know just what truck it was-----Driver

Attachments

Driver523

These photos are from the album of Edward Pool, Ed was the Commanding Officer of the 523rd in 68 I believe, The first truck is In God We Trust, then a few of Bad News and Phanton 109, then some quads---------Enjoy-------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

These photos are from the Transportation Museum at Fort Eustis, some may get doubled up later and some are kinda small but hope you all can see them-------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

Somemore photos from the Museum-------Driver

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks