• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official Deuce Aftermarket Wheel Thread

puppy

Let's make this happen. Hopefully it will remain a tech article for everyone to reference. After hours of searching for different styles and kinds of aftermarket wheels, I am still somewhat empty handed.

If you have aftermarket wheels or make aftermarket wheels for a deuce:
1. Post up a picture of them.
2. Tell what brand or who made them.
3. Tell how much they cost.
4. Are they available or made to order. Lead time?
5. Tell what size tire is mounted on them.
6. Explain the pros/cons that you experienced.
7. Anything else of benefit to the SS site. . .

Thanks,
JP

puppy

I was really hoping everyone would contribute to a tech article here on SS.

There is always the endless search I suppose.

avengeusa

Mine can be found on the site here...

M35 Deuce and 5 Ton Military Truck High output alternator Kit

cut out centers with a milling machine, and made plates that bolt in, and are welded into place, they spin more true than the unmodified wheels, i am getting ready for another run of them, there are a lot of guys doing these lately...

some people cut out the center and weld in a machined plate, some people bolt them in, I do both because I am a chicken and would rather over do it for safety.... I do not offer the plates or wheels on the site for sale as there are already a couple great guys making them

Last edited:

FL_Frank

Looking for a set of modified HEMTTs for my M35A2, to fit this stack of 395s I have sitting here and those look nice Avenge.

Can you mount them on the rear, inside out, so you don't have to flip the hubs (hard to see if there is a chamfer on the inside on the bolt holes). If so, how does the M35 track that way?

If not, I'll may have to just suck it up and flip the hubs, which can't possibly be harder than changing out the torque bars =)

avengeusa

Looking for a set of modified HEMTTs for my M35A2, to fit this stack of 395s I have sitting here and those look nice Avenge.

Can you mount them on the rear, inside out, so you don't have to flip the hubs (hard to see if there is a chamfer on the inside on the bolt holes). If so, how does the M35 track that way?

If not, I'll may have to just suck it up and flip the hubs, which can't possibly be harder than changing out the torque bars =)

they are set up to not flip the hubs, but can be done either way

tracks very well

I wish I had a stack of 395's

M1075

Here are the wheels I have available for sale. I am trying to keep them in stock at all times. They are new HEMTT 2-piece wheels with the original 10 lug pattern milled out and a new 6 lug plate welded in. Orings and nuts included. Your choice of finish (unpainted, primed, painted, powdercoated, or chrome:twisted:). Michelin XL 15.50/80R20 tires, Goodyear MVT 395/85R20 tires, valvestems, valve stem extensions, and assembly available. LTL freight service to your dock or to a terminal near you. Send me a PM for a package price.

Attachments

Last edited:

Yohan

How about including whether they come with valve stems and any other parts that need to be present to mount them? I know little to nothing, but my understanding is that if they don't have certain pieces with them, you have to source those pieces and it adds up... Just a suggestion.:grin:

jesusgatos

I'm pretty sure I've seen a few wheels with the plates mounted on the OUTSIDE face of the split where the two wheel halves bolt together, and then Donk's wheels are using deuce centers welded into the shell (which will obviously affect the backspacing). But otherwise, yeah. They should all be the same/similar (maybe varying by the thickness of the plate?).

tjcouch

1. Post up a picture of them.
Below

2. Tell what brand or who made them.
ODIron.com

3. Tell how much they cost.
<$300 at the time, not sure of current pricing

4. Are they available or made to order. Lead time?
Not sure - I had about a 6 week production time in my case

5. Tell what size tire is mounted on them.
15.5/80R20

6. Explain the pros/cons that you experienced.
No complaints on the wheels, seating the tires is a snap IF you use mounting compound

Attachments

Unforgiven

Are split rims safe? On another thread a guy referred to them as "suicide rims." I asked what he meant by that but he didn't answer. Also, do split rims need a tube or can they go tubeless?

fstfrdy

suicide wheels is in refernce to the the lock rings on the stock duece wheels if done improperly the rings can come off and quite possibly kill the person working on the while inflating. the hmmtt wheels can go without a tube cause the split is sealed with an o-ring but the deuce wheels require a tube. cant speak about the other wheels here have not seen them in person. i worked for a number of years doing tire service anything from wheelbarrows to 980 cat loaders. if any questions i can try to awnser

Lex_Ordo

Here are the wheels I have available for sale. I am trying to keep them in stock at all times. They are new HEMTT 2-piece wheels with the original 10 lug pattern milled out and a new 6 lug plate welded in. Orings and nuts included. Your choice of finish (unpainted, primed, painted, powdercoated, or chrome:twisted:). Michelin XL 15.50/80R20 tires, Goodyear MVT 395/85R20 tires, valvestems, valve stem extensions, and assembly available. LTL freight service to your dock or to a terminal near you. Send me a PM for a package price.
I don't know tires or wheels. Educate me please.
Is it fair to say that with these new style wheels, One could just un-bolt the retaining ring, slide a new tube and tire over the wheel, line up the ring with the tube valve stem, re-attach the ring with the bolts, air up, and re-mount?
How do you feed the valve tube out from the inside of the tire? It looks like it needs to come out from the backspacing?

It really would make life outstnadingly more simple and fast! Are they avaialble as a direct repacement wheel for the M35A2? No other modification needed?
My truck has been singled, will they fit?
I would require 7 in 383 CARC green.

Last edited:

UpstateNYer

I don't know tires or wheels. Educate me please.
Is it fair to say that with these new style wheels, One could just un-bolt the retaining ring, slide a new tube and tire over the wheel, line up the ring with the tube valve stem, re-attach the ring with the bolts, air up, and re-mount?
How do you feed the valve tube out from the inside of the tire? It looks like it needs to come out from the backspacing?

It really would make life outstnadingly more simple and fast! Are they avaialble as a direct repacement wheel for the M35A2? No other modification needed?
My truck has been singled, will they fit?
I would require 7 in 383 CARC green.

They are tubless, all you need to change the tire is to unbolt the outer ring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks