Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 minute rule - flustrating

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Earth View Post
    For frustration with the 15 minute rule, I suggest cows.

Mine get milked at 5:00, so I enter my top bid and go to the barn.

Cows are also very good for getting you out of "couples" wedding showers, baptisms, weddings, family reunions, and lots of other dumb stuff.

Cows also get you ag plates on your trucks. Get some.
    And they taste good too.

Banned
    Thanks

Earth has given me "just" reason to get some cows now.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stumps View Post
    As a long time ebay sniper, I have to say that you are getting annoyed by something that isn't at all what you think it is.

When a sniper snipes, he decides what his maximum bid is, and sets his sniper program to send in his bid very shortly before the auction ends. I usually pick 10 seconds because it prevents any bidder from reacting quickly enough to up my bid.

Ebay accepts all bids up until the auction ends, and then sifts through the time stamped bids to find out which one wins. The winner will be the one with the last highest bid. The winner will win by one bid increment above the next highest bidder.

That you lost by 1 cent is purely a function of the bid increment. The sniper didn't know you were at $0.99, and out of meanness, bid $1.00. His sniping program put in a proxy bid for maybe $5.00, in the last seconds, and eBay decided that $1.00 was all that was necessary to win.

All proxy bids work that way.

Why do I snipe? Precisely because you don't.

If I toss in my maximum bid some hours before the auction ends, someone like you will look at my bid amount, and add a buck to it, just to see if that will win. If I still am winning, they will add another buck, and another, and another, and another, until they have bid way more than they would have ordinarily thought the item was worth, just to beat me. If I am still the higher bid, I get the profound pleasure of paying extra just so you could "teach" me what you thought was too much to pay for that item.

I'd rather not play your game.

I would much rather have you think that the item is going to sell for $0.99, when I bid $5.00, and beat you by 1 cent.

I always snipe the maximum amount I am willing to pay, and walk away.

If sniping is unfair, it is unfair to eBay, and to the seller, not to you the auction loser. You would have lost anyway, because I thought the item was worth more than you did.

-Chuck
    I cant say that I snipe, just dont have enough need to. But I have many friends all over who do this exact same thing, but in the end if everyone "snipes" on the same product its just going to jack up the price again and undercut normal bidders ability to win. Does it suck to be outbid for .01? Heck yeah, but no ones put a gun to your head and forced you to play the game. But if you're in the game, be in it to win I'd say.
    M1078A1 -5x
    M1078A1R
    M1089A1
    M1084
    M1078 -3x
    M1083 w/w 2x
    M1083A1
    M1082 -2x
    M1088A1 2x
    M1088 2x
    M1123
    M923A2 LWS 16's A/C
    M929A2
    M925A2 "Buffalo" Trainer
    M876 TMT
    M105A2 -2x
    M989A1
    Hyster H40XM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stumps View Post
    As a long time ebay sniper, I have to say that you are getting annoyed by something that isn't at all what you think it is.

When a sniper snipes, he decides what his maximum bid is, and sets his sniper program to send in his bid very shortly before the auction ends. I usually pick 10 seconds because it prevents any bidder from reacting quickly enough to up my bid.

Ebay accepts all bids up until the auction ends, and then sifts through the time stamped bids to find out which one wins. The winner will be the one with the last highest bid. The winner will win by one bid increment above the next highest bidder.

That you lost by 1 cent is purely a function of the bid increment. The sniper didn't know you were at $0.99, and out of meanness, bid $1.00. His sniping program put in a proxy bid for maybe $5.00, in the last seconds, and eBay decided that $1.00 was all that was necessary to win.

All proxy bids work that way.

Why do I snipe? Precisely because you don't.

If I toss in my maximum bid some hours before the auction ends, someone like you will look at my bid amount, and add a buck to it, just to see if that will win. If I still am winning, they will add another buck, and another, and another, and another, until they have bid way more than they would have ordinarily thought the item was worth, just to beat me. If I am still the higher bid, I get the profound pleasure of paying extra just so you could "teach" me what you thought was too much to pay for that item.

I'd rather not play your game.

I would much rather have you think that the item is going to sell for $0.99, when I bid $5.00, and beat you by 1 cent.

I always snipe the maximum amount I am willing to pay, and walk away.

If sniping is unfair, it is unfair to eBay, and to the seller, not to you the auction loser. You would have lost anyway, because I thought the item was worth more than you did.

-Chuck
    That is a one sided view of the practice. From where I sit, someone honestly believes an item is worth $1.00 and bids that amount and then someone comes out of the weeds at T minus 10 seconds and buys it for $1.01.

On ebay I have bid $1,000 for an item I wanted bad but hoped would go for $300. I worked that time but could have cost me a bundle if there had been a crazy so and so who really wanted that item.

I'd rather go eyeball to eyeball and bid it out 'til daybreak if need be. For example a real auction, Gov Liq and Gun Broker.

Just seems a lot more....honest to me.

It makes the sniper put his bankroll where his hit and run software currently is.

Finally, last second sniping does not establish the true market value of the item. Going head to head with no time limit, does.

Regards

Jim
    He ain't wrong,
    He's just different,
    And his pride won't let him,
    Do things to make you think he's right.

4 Star General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzytoaster View Post
    I cant say that I snipe, just dont have enough need to. But I have many friends all over who do this exact same thing, but in the end if everyone "snipes" on the same product its just going to jack up the price again and undercut normal bidders ability to win. Does it suck to be outbid for .01? Heck yeah, but no ones put a gun to your head and forced you to play the game. But if you're in the game, be in it to win I'd say.
    If everybody snipes, then eBay becomes in effect a sealed bid auction. All the sniper's maximum bids get compared, and the one that is highest wins by one bid increment over the next highest.

I would much prefer sealed bids. It removes the emotional bidding madness that some folks get. EBay makes money off of that very madness, and as such will never agree to a sealed bid.

-Chuck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
    Finally, last second sniping does not establish the true market value of the item. Going head to head with no time limit, does.

Regards

Jim
    Actually, if everyone is putting in the maximum they will pay, the sniper is at a disadvantage. If you put your maximum in early, and the sniper puts his in at the end, you win the tie. He must beat you by the next bid increment. The only way the you are at a disadvantage is if you are not putting in your maximum, and that is your fault. If you would have bid higher, you should have.

I have bought from many kinds of auctions, but the winner is usually the one that will pay the most.

I would actually rather that they not extend the auction, and force everyone to put up their bid in a reasonable time. Bottom line is that I will keep bidding and hoping I win. Don't know about you, but I lose way more than I win.
    Jay Brown SS-13315

South Carolina Member Database & Map

NC and Ga Member database and Map

71 AM General M35A2 - bobbed
    93 AM General M35A3
    M105A2
    MK-18 Trailer
    MKT-90
    Chrysler MTL-60H
    Wrecker Set No. 7, Medium Towbar

4 Star General
    Thanks

That is a one sided view of the practice. From where I sit, someone honestly believes an item is worth $1.00 and bids that amount and then someone comes out of the weeds at T minus 10 seconds and buys it for $1.01.
    If the bidder honestly believes the item is worth $1.00, and he loses for $1.01, he has lost because he believes the item is worth only $1.00. If he was willing to pay $1.02, then he should have set his proxy bid for $1.02, not $1.00.

He would have lost no matter what; because, if I couldn't have bid using a snipe, I would have set my proxy for the maximum that I was willing to pay, and beat him.
    On ebay I have bid $1,000 for an item I wanted bad but hoped would go for $300. I worked that time but could have cost me a bundle if there had been a crazy so and so who really wanted that item.
    Finally, you are using the service as it was meant to be used. You set your maximum bid, and let things fall out where they may.
    I'd rather go eyeball to eyeball and bid it out 'til daybreak if need be. For example a real auction, Gov Liq and Gun Broker.

Just seems a lot more....honest to me.
    And following the rules and winning doesn't?

There are plenty of live auction houses out there where you can go head-to-head. Just not on eBay.
    It makes the sniper put his bankroll where his hit and run software currently is.
    Keep thinking: What would have happened if you set your proxy bid at $5.01, and I set my snipe at $5.00?

I have no way of knowing what your proxy bid is set for when I set up my snipe. I make a judgment about the maximum I am willing to bid, and the snipe program bids that amount.

The part I think you are still missing is I set my maximum bid when I set up my snipe, and that maximum amount gets sent to eBay as my bid. There are no do-overs. If my maximum bid is too low, I lose. Simple as that.

Regards

Jim
    I don't believe it is the object of any bidder to set the true market value of an item. I believe the object is to win the item for a price the bidder is willing to pay.

-Chuck

Thanks

If you think that what you spend in an auction goes to the government you are mistaken. Just look at the paperwork that comes with your SF-97. GL buys the trucks from 50-250 dollars for a deuce. That is months before they go to auction. Price is based on a maintenance report done by the army when the truck is turned in. I paid 2800 for a M35 w/w and FF heater. GL paid the Government 175. So bidding more does not help the national debt. GL profits. Now I am glad that sniping is not allowed at GL. I think it is slimey...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,335 Posts

Stumps is right about snipping. The trick to beating the snipers on ebay is to enter a proxy big quite a bit more over the current bid (if the item is worth it). That puts you and the sniper on an even playing field so if his snipe is more than you max he wins and if it's not you do.

The 15 min rule can really make you pull your hair out if you are watching several trucks but only want to end up with one. If you are the high bidder on truck number 1 and it goes into overtime and you eventually end up loosing the bid on it you can't fall back to truck number 2 because it's already closed. To manage this situation requires alot of strategy and still some times it doesn't work out.

I never have my heart set on just one particular truck. I'll find several in any one sale so I'll have some to fall back on if the price gets to high on some of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,335 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moleary View Post

From a taxpayer:

I personally appreciate anything that maximizes the return on the sale of a government asset. If a buyer sees the purchase price go up by $1000 as a result of the "bid fever" that hits people during those extensions then that is $1000 less in government spending that I (and all other tax payers) have to make up.

I believe it is the responsibility of the contractor to get the absolute maximum amount they can for each item they sell. For many of us (not all) this is just a hobby - but the GL auctions are no game and I for one would be very angry (as someone who is currently a part-owner of every item sold) if they started letting lots sell for less than they maximum they could get.

So while you have every right to complain about your lost time and the cost getting run up on stuff you want to buy, please keep in mind that the revenue goes to offsetting the monies we all have to cough-up to keep this country moving. I hope you'll forgive me if I have absolutely NO sympathy for your complaint.

You must not buy from GL. If you do would you be happy to pay more than you do for stuff?

I have alot more to comment on this but will keep my mouth shut to keep from getting political .

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast