• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

15 minute rule - flustrating

Nonotagain

Jeff

That's all fine and dandy. But my question remains: Why are GSA/GL treated differently from ebay?

Regards

Jim
Their game, their rules.

If I have a proxy bid with Ebay and som eelse bids against me, they have to trumph my bid, not me trumphing theirs.

example, I have a $100 proxy.

Starting bid is $20, so $20 is what shows.
Someone comes along and bids $30, the bid amount shows $30, as my proxy was there before their bid. I don't have to bid the next minimum, they receive a message that you have been outbid, try again.

GSA and GL have the game in their favor that you always have to out bid your opponet by the next highest bid amount even if you have you proxy bid in place.

NMC_EXP

Their game, their rules.

If I have a proxy bid with Ebay and som eelse bids against me, they have to trumph my bid, not me trumphing theirs.

example, I have a $100 proxy.

Starting bid is $20, so $20 is what shows.
Someone comes along and bids $30, the bid amount shows $30, as my proxy was there before their bid. I don't have to bid the next minimum, they receive a message that you have been outbid, try again.

GSA and GL have the game in their favor that you always have to out bid your opponet by the next highest bid amount even if you have you proxy bid in place.
So why is it OK to discuss in-process ebay auctions but forbidden to discuss GL/GSA in-process auctions?

Regards

Jim

Nonotagain

So why is it OK to discuss in-process ebay auctions but forbidden to discuss GL/GSA in-process auctions?

Regards

Jim
Quite possible that the market for MV's is a whole lot smaller than ebay items.

They are the rules of this site, so if I want to post here I have to obey the rules or find another place to play.

NMC_EXP

Quite possible that the market for MV's is a whole lot smaller than ebay items.

Nope - A lot of stuff on ebay is much scarcer than what is sold by the govt.

They are the rules of this site, so if I want to post here I have to obey the rules or find another place to play.

Translation: "I do not have a good answer so stop asking me."

Regards

Jim

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whether we are discussing GL auction rules, eBay auction rules or some other random auction.... It's their game, if you're going to play you've got to learn the rules and then stategize to your own best advantage.

"Anything they say can and will be used against them."

THE SERENITY PRAYER:
God grant me a serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

The wise will adapt to the battlefield conditions and thus be victorious. (Unless their budget is insufficient to buy the victory.)

IMHO... 2cents

KsM715

Jeff

That's all fine and dandy. But my question remains: Why are GSA/GL treated differently from ebay?

Regards

Jim
Sorry I skipped a page when I got back online today.

My theory on this is this: I dont believe Ebay cares if 2 or 3 guys get together and set a deal not to bid against each other or to "agree" not to bid over a certain amount. They still get their fee and % of the sale. GL and GSA are different, they are directly affiliated witht eh Gov. and their profits are directly linked to the final sale price. Now I dont know this for a fact but I have heard it stated on here, (this site) that no one has ever heard of people being prosecuted for colusion on Ebay but there are several people that have been prosecuted for colusion in a Gov. auction.

kc5mzd

Regards

Jim
I think part of it has to do with the way the Government is regulated. If they don't investigate or prosecute in a few cases then when they do try to prosecute someone that gets seriously out of hand they are discriminating and the bad guys get off free and clear.

EBay can cut slack, decide it is negative publicity, or just decide it is not in their corporate interest at any specific time depending on their interpretation of market conditions.

The Government is responsible for the taxpayer’s interest - always (kinda).

I think it may also have to do with the way they are bound to their contracts. It’s a lot easier for someone on EBay to change their mind and not sell something after an auction ends. It’s easier to sue the government and make them fulfill their sellers contract so they are more likely to prosecute inappropriate bidding.

stumps

Chuck

I understand your rationale. However, I do not believe people bump the proxy bid of a stranger just to force the price higher - unless actual bid rigging is taking place. I suspect that is where many of the "item relisted due to non-paying buyer" stuff comes from - the real buyer quit and left the thief with the high bid.

I do not like losing by 1% to a sniper. I do not like paying 100% more than something is worth if I use a really high proxy bid and there is another bidder as almost as foolhardy as me.

Now I use a stopwatch and hope my satellite link does not crash. I do not lose very often.

I meant no offense and hope there are no hard feelings for you and the other snipers.

Regards

Jim
Hi Jim,

No offense taken.

In the past, back when I just put in bids when I discovered an auction that I liked, I have had problems with shill bidders. That is when the seller doesn't like the low price, so bids using another id, to shake things up. I was watching one auction, where the auction completed THREE TIMES, and each time was re-offered. Each time, I was runner up. I got mad at the seller, and told her that I didn't like shill bidding, and that it was illegal, and against eBay rules. She assured me it wasn't a shill bid. I won the auction on the 4th time, for 1/3 the price of when the shill bidder was playing.

-Chuck

NMC_EXP

If you really want to know then send a PM to Chris aka steelsoldier he owns the site and he makes the rules.
The owner does not need to justify his rules to me. I am here voluntarily and will abide by the rules.

What I've been trying to do is get members to say why this makes sense rather than just getting chesty with me saying "thems the rules so shut the h*** up".

This happens on most discussion forums I've been on, it is not unique to SS.

The point is, people need to think before talking or typing.

Regards

Jim

NMC_EXP

Sorry I skipped a page when I got back online today.

My theory on this is this: I dont believe Ebay cares if 2 or 3 guys get together and set a deal not to bid against each other or to "agree" not to bid over a certain amount. They still get their fee and % of the sale. GL and GSA are different, they are directly affiliated witht eh Gov. and their profits are directly linked to the final sale price. Now I dont know this for a fact but I have heard it stated on here, (this site) that no one has ever heard of people being prosecuted for colusion on Ebay but there are several people that have been prosecuted for colusion in a Gov. auction.
Jeff

That makes some sense.

Thanks

Jim

robson1015

A true auction should have a set end time - PERIOD. Get your high bid in before the set end time and that's it. The 15 minute end thing just shows the greed of GL. I understand it is a business to make money but that's ridiculous. Now I noticed some very high reserve prices on several items. GL is starting to rub people the wrong way, there are other sites out there.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My boss used to give us the 59 minute rule when we did a good job which usually occurred most Fridays. I guess this wasn't the same thing though. Nevermind.

GaTallguy

Supporting Vendor
Even the bad thing about the 15 minute rule is is doesn't matter. Gl already bought the vehicles from the gov, typically 5 tons at $1873.00, then turn and auction them to the bidder(us) and charge 10% buyers premium. It was always a scam.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A true auction should have a set end time - PERIOD. Get your high bid in before the set end time and that's it. The 15 minute end thing just shows the greed of GL. I understand it is a business to make money but that's ridiculous. Now I noticed some very high reserve prices on several items. GL is starting to rub people the wrong way, there are other sites out there.

In a perfect world, Troops, The highlighted statement above might be true.

HOWEVER, the reality is we do not live in a perfect world. We live in a world in which the best we can hope for is that people will treat us nearly as good as we should be treating them.

THEREFORE, in the spirit of integrity - and surely as advised by their LEGAL DEPARTMENT - ALL of the auction rules for every legitimate public auction site are POSTED for all participants to READ and UNDERSTAND... BEFORE BIDDING. This includes those who want to play but might disagree with some or all of THEIR RULES.

HENCE, If anyone wants to play the game, it's up to THAT INDIVIDUAL to READ and UNDERSTAND, and then to FOLLOW the RULES established by the kids in whose house they have decided to play. The auction house owns the playing pieces. If one wants 'em, then we've gotta play by their rules to win 'em....... or go home.

IN SUMMARY, it is simply not for buyers to gripe about the seller's rules of the auction. We can either accept that they are the rules and adapt OUR GAME to win at their game table - OR - we can take our coinage to another source of that for which we drool.

It's THAT SIMPLE.

We may all benefit from reviewing this invaluable advice.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWlfi6m_JxU

Carry on.

Last edited:

robson1015

Isn't this a thread to discuss your frustration about GL's 15 minute rule or am I missing something. I understand accepting the rules or don't play. If my opinion rubs you wrong - try to get over it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't this a thread to discuss your frustration about GL's 15 minute rule or am I missing something. I understand accepting the rules or don't play. If my opinion rubs you wrong - try to get over it.
Sir, my post was neither intended to offend you, nor meant to be stated in the singular "you", but the plural "Y'all" as we would say in Texas. I apologize for that miscommunication.
Therefore, I have edited my post to very specifically be plural and generic in its broadcast.
As well, I stand by my contribution that gripes in general are essentially gossip. In essence, if the audience to whom we have chosen to gripe cannot take action upon nor remedy our gripe, then it cannot produce, nor should it be expected to produce, any relief from the problem as we see it.
This is sound advice.
And I shall repeat, "We may all benefit from reviewing this invaluable advice."

Thank you for helping me see my misstatement.
Have a wonderful Friday.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm kinda surprised that a 5+ year old thread about bidding process gets bumped up. Maybe we should put a time limit on threads? :mrgreen:

BTW, I'm much more inclined to the extension system GL uses. I hate snipers on ebay.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm kinda surprised that a 5+ year old thread about bidding process gets bumped up. Maybe we should put a time limit on threads? :mrgreen:

BTW, I'm much more inclined to the extension system GL uses. I hate snipers on ebay.
Drew,
To follow your detour from the OP's topic....

While closing some threads that go dormant sounds like a great idea.... there are many "technical" threads that can be revived with the invaluable benefit of old established thread subscribers with knowledge of how they tackled the topical problem. On the other hand, threads of "commentary" content may well be denied resurrection once they have "dried on the vine". Making this an automatic function could be problematic, but Moderator discretion and intervention would be key. IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks