• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

neutralizing muriatic acid

jesusgatos

The guys at the radiator shop where I had my fuel tank cleaned/coated told me to use muriatic acid to clean all the small parts (fuel pump & fuel level sending unit). That worked great, except that those parts rusted immediately afterwards, and now they look much worse than they did before. After reading a little bit online about muriatic acid, I understand why this happened. But now I need to clean these parts again, and I'm wondering what I should do to neutralize the muriatic acid afterwards. These parts are going into my fuel tank, so I can't paint them, and I'd rather not have to spend any more money at the radiator shop having these parts coated. Any suggestions?

Nonotagain

Do I need to start a poll?

1) baking soda (in water?)
2) diesel
3) oil

I vote none of the above.

Remove the parts from the acid bath then immerse them into either magnesium or zinc phosphate solution. Once they stop fizzing, rinse in water, the oil them down.

No more rust and a good protective coating.

PorscheTech911

Baking soda in water will neutralize the acid immediately and is safe for your parts. The best course of action is to then coat the parts in diesel or oil. Thats how we do it.

crazyplowboy

We use muriatic acid at work to remove blueing from steel. We just use a water and baking soda mixture to rinse off the parts than rub them down with oil after they have dried. Seems to work fine.

wdbtchr

Full strength Muratic acid will also remove good metal in addition to the rust, it's very aggressive. I use soda ash to neutralize any acid I use, it's available at swimming pool suppliers. It's used to adjust the PH in pools, to raise it.2cents Takes a lot less than bicarb to do the same job.

jesusgatos

Thanks guys. I used the muriatic acid again, then neutralized it with baking soda, and then dunked all the parts in motor-oil. Parts look great. I'll know in a few days whether or not they rust again...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks