• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Salvaged trucks

jrosbo

I am thinking about buying some of these trucks off of the Gov. auction sites that would normally go to these scrap dealers and bringing them home or making the scrap dealers pay more for them. I know there was some talk about the sf97 forms on another thread and trying to root out the little guy, but unless I am wrong if I just part the trucks out I do not need a title. So I guess my question is, Is there a need for a salvaged parts dealer for these trucks? What is the demand? I am not looking to get rich from this endever,just make enough to cover my expenses and a little for my time in running my equipment, and to just help like minded enthusiasts like my self keep the old iron going.The idea is, to buy a few trucks maybe in nonrunning condition to keep cost down, get as many parts off of the truck as I can and sell the residue to a local scrap man also to keep the parts cost down and make up most of my expenses from him. I am working out the details with a buddy of mine here localy who runs a very large trucking company(the last count I had was 705 trucks) they pretty well covers the country about getting these trucks home and then shipping the larger parts out only when he has room due to partial loads at little or no charge and setting it up so that the person who needs the part would meet the driver somewhere and get the item needed. As far as cost on Items I would want to keep it low so that I could keep the trucks moving and to help every one else, so I would need a list and some feed back from everyone on here as to the cost of the most needed or most popular items so I could figure out how much to pay for each truck. Remember to keep it low but fair! I want the prices to be partailly controlled by the members of this forum so everyone feels like they are getting a good deal. Should I run a Poll?

area52

Sounds good to me. I don't know about popular items but I know when I had my deuce, I wanted troop seats, a winch(complete) and tires.

Keep in mind storage for all these truck parts

good luck

Wade

Katch1

not a bad idea, if you have lots of storage space and the time and patience to deal with all of us looking for a good deal :roll: keep us updated though, we are all in need of parts sooner or later, and there are some guys charging way too much for way too little.

jrosbo

salvage trucks

I have 40 acres of property here. 4 machine sheds which one is 40' by 120' which is sitting half empty so some parts could be stored inside, but I was kind of looking at not keeping a truck more than a year. I have 4 major interstate highways within 35 - 40 minutes from my property. I have a forklift, looking at buying another, a backhoe, a dozer, and access to a trackhoe. I have loading/unloading facilities. As soon as I find my wrecker like Kennys I will have a crane. So facilities is not an issue. I do excavating as a side job during the summer months, thats why I have the equipment and the ability. I work for the state as my primary employment. Like I said in my first post I am not looking to make a large wad of money on this project, I just want to make the large wad that I am about to lay out back. (You know to keep the peace with the wife and kids.) But the main reason I am thinking about this is 1. I don't like to be pushed and bullied and rooted out buy some one with a fist full of cash and a goverment connection.(Example the sf97 deal and the scrap man, If he wants it he is going to PAY for it.) 2. I want to help all those who have helped me on this site. The money that some of these guys on here have saved me, I would like to return the favor. 3. I know that there can be a cheaper way to enjoy the hobby we have chosen, and by doing so we can encourage more people to join in, that means more people to join the clubs and organizations that you belong to. 4. I hate to see any truck go to waste. Even if there is not much hope for it, there is always someone out there that needs that one piece off of this old broken down truck that would bring theres back to life. And 5. The best one, I might actually get a chance to see members and their rides in person.

Desert Rat

Jrosbo,

I am looking to do the same thing here in East Texas. I have a meadow behind my wooded land, perfect for such a project. I've been working on this for a number of years and have many connections. PM me and maybe we can get something going!!!

houdel

The question of whether you need a scrap dealer's license will vary from state to state. I was wondering the same thing, so I went to the Michigan Secretary Of State website (they handle vehicle dealers/titling/registration here), perused their listing of on line information, and found a Vehicle Dealer License Application Instruction Book.

MI has several Dealer classifications. Those most of interest here are Class A, new vehicle dealer; Class B, used vehicle dealer; Class C, used vehicle parts dealer, Class R, automotive recycler; and Class F, vehicle scrap metal processor. There are other classes but they do not apply here.

If I wanted to buy parts vehicles, assemble what I could into running vehicles and sell the residue as parts, I would need both a Class B used vehicle dealer and Class C used vehicle parts dealer license. Any non-saleable residue I'd just haul off to a nearby junkyard and sell as scrap metal.

The class B license is $75.00/year and the class C license is $160 per year. I'd also have to buy a minimum of two dealer plates at $10 each, pay a one-time $54 fingerprinting processing fee, obtain a sales tax license (which I already have), provide proof of Michigan Fleet Auto Liability Insurance ($?), post a surity bond ($?) and provide a zoning permit (probably not a problem where I live if I keep my operation small enough to fit the home business category). Since I'm not a certified mechanic I'd also need to provide a service agreement with a licensed repair facility within 10 miles of my location, even if I sell vehicles as-is (again, not much of a problem).

Lots of paperwork but the expense isn't too bad except for possibly the bond and insurance. Of course, if I can use the dealer plates on my personal vehicles, there is an offset for my auto insurance and vehicle registration costs (which are pretty expensive here in MI).

If you are serious, I'd check your state's DMV/DOT/SOS website and see if they have any information available on line. Maybe worth your while!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks