• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

To Winch or Not to Winch a No-Winch M35A2? Opinions

x-ray

Background:
I have a 1971 M35A2 C turbo, Love the truck and its a great runner with no problems. Its a no winch truck. I occasionally work it in our farm fields or to haul something like firewood or neighbor needs. Our fields drain pretty well, not usually very muddy, even in the spring and I don't go into the wild with it much.

I can get a deal on a take-off winch from a local guy who has it sitting in a barn. No other parts, so I would have to get the parts (Oooh - Another questions - who has all the parts, PTO, Shaft, frame extensions, etc? - Curious about costs)

Problem:
In any case, other than the fact that I love winch trucks, and want it, I'm not sure if I truly "need" it or if there are any issues against to have one.

So: I'd like to get opinions of those who have driven both winched and non-winch trucks to here if there are any downsides to having a winch. My MV addiction might be clouding my judgment.

I am thinking it would obviously change weight in the front end, impacting mileage and perhaps performance a little, but don't know if its significant.

Please let me know your thoughts and input (Pros & Cons)

Thank you

1qwkgoat

I doubt it's enough weight to effect anything. If so I have never noticed. The biggest change it makes is, you lose some approach angle. It's much better to have a winch and not need it, then to need a winch and not have it. My winch is the reason my truck isn't still stuck in a small creek at the bottom of a hill on my friend's farm. I was very glad I had it then. Plus in the summers I use it to tension the zip line over the pond. The winch has many uses. I say get it.

Coal Cracker

Background:
I have a 1971 M35A2 C turbo, Love the truck and its a great runner with no problems. Its a no winch truck. I occasionally work it in our farm fields or to haul something like firewood or neighbor needs. Our fields drain pretty well, not usually very muddy, even in the spring and I don't go into the wild with it much.

I can get a deal on a take-off winch from a local guy who has it sitting in a barn. No other parts, so I would have to get the parts (Oooh - Another questions - who has all the parts, PTO, Shaft, frame extensions, etc? - Curious about costs)

Problem:
In any case, other than the fact that I love winch trucks, and want it, I'm not sure if I truly "need" it or if there are any issues against to have one.

So: I'd like to get opinions of those who have driven both winched and non-winch trucks to here if there are any downsides to having a winch. My MV addiction might be clouding my judgment.

I am thinking it would obviously change weight in the front end, impacting mileage and perhaps performance a little, but don't know if its significant.

Thank you

I'm in the same boat,

To winch or not to winch, That is the question.

Scarecrow1

If it's in your price range then sure , go for it . If its a clean upgrade then it should pay for it's self when you sell it , so in that light it's money in the bank.....

I actually am going to start putting a winch on my truck this week. The only bad thing is my incessant need for safety, so I had to go out and buy grade 8 bolts to replace all the ones on the extensions and bumper. But I can't wait to get it on, I know it is well worth it to have one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've added winches to trucks and removed them. I've never detected a difference in the driveability between either. With that said, I put a winches on all my trucks (as time and $$$ permits).

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Background:

Thank you
It has been a long while since I have driven a non-winch truck, so I will not speak to that.
The winch does add front axle weight; on a w/w truck, the front axle will be significantly closer to its rated weight when empty, compared to a wo/w truck.

An empty w/w truck may therefore have more tendency with its front tires to sink into soft ground. But hey - you can winch yourself out!

A winch is a non-negotiable must-have for me. And it looks cool!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having a winch, "almost" guarrentees that you won't need it. Once you have it, all you will then need is a little imagination. You may be slowed down, but not stopped.

Lee in Alaska

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I feel having the winch is cheap insurance. My winch truck has never pulled itself out of a stuck situation, but has pulled many others out. They are very handy to have. What do you have access to, to pull your truck out if it gets stuck with out one? ;-)

scrapman

So far everybody has been in agreement that adding a winch is a positive thing to do. But nobody has addressed the lack of all of the support equipment. That in itself can be difficult to locate in one place, and buying parts here and there and over yonder can become quite expensive. Best bet is to look for a complete take-off, which if you pick it up will be in the price range of $1000 to $1500. Or you may consider a hydraulic/electric pump setup. They can be pricey, but as long as you have good batteries or a running truck it is a system that is virtually fail safe. I myself choose the direct electric winches as a last choice. Their weaknesses are water intrusion and overheating issues. I am considering the hydraulic/electric option for my own truck if I ever break the Army issue winch that is on there now.

Unforgiven

Even if you don't use it once a decade, winches just have that "coolness" factor when you see them. However, most people mount them on the front bumper. They really should be mounted to the rear instead. The guy who just got stuck in the snow comes to mind. A rear winch + tree strap would have saved him a lot of headache. Plus he might have actually considered it fun to hook up the rear winch & pull himself out.

Fortunately, most winch companies offer roller kits to go under the truck. That way you can keep the "coolness" up front, but have the hook coming out the rear where it is more useful. I've even seen the kits that keep the hook up front until needed. When you get stuck, assuming it's not 4 feet of mud, you run the cable underneath and out the back.

I say go for it if you have the money.

820jeep

Well I am buying an M-35A2 from a friend here in town. I am giving twice what I had won the one from GL for ( EUC cancelled after 90 days :evil:). We had agreed to knock $800.00 off if he kept the winch. I guess I need to rethink this?
BTW it is a soft top ( no top ) no heater and no troop seats. I have a special place in my heart for GL.:twisted:

Heavysteven

I had the same questions when i was looking at truck to buy.

I meet a dealer at a preview on the NG Base in Kennesaw. He told a winch truck is a must because if you were to become stuck it is more tha likely the cost of recover by another truck would pay for the winch.

In reality my truck will never go off road. I plan to use my winch to retrieve freinds and family stuck in the mud.

My vote is add the winch:-D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
820, for 800 and NOT having to deal with installing one, YES pay the man! Clintogf here on SS has tops new in the box for $125.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've driven Deuces with and without winches in the Army, but only a winch truck in recent years. The only difference I've ever noticed is the obvious difference in the extension of the front end. I have had people tell me that front tires wear out faster with a winch due to the extra weight, but I don't know if this is true or not. I would highly recommend a winch - very useful if you need it.

Another possibility, which may cost you less money and aggravation, is to buy a new Deuce W/W and sell yours. If you are attached to your particular Deuce, this would obviously not be a good option. Good luck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A winch on a smaller pickup is not really needed but IMO something as big as a deuce needs one because if it does get stuck you're going to need a way to get it out. Even a large tractor can have trouble pulling out a deuce that's stuck good and the tractor is on soft ground also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks