• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding Detroit Lockers???

RANDYDIRT

I run a Grizzly locker in the rear of my bobber, and I love it. I plan on putting one in the front soon. I think it was about $400 or so.

Dirt

Have detroit lockers front and rear in my K30, drives like a grizzly bear with the hubs locked in! :driver: really like the detroits was looking to do this with my duece if i ever bobbed it. seen the grizzly's sold by yukon which is another name i would trust too. Prolly run an arb in the front next time though. Wouldn't own a rig without a locker in the rear been doing so since I've been driving. Comes winter time just steer with the a$$ end.

TacticalDoc

still new to all of this but wouldnt you want more traction in front.

It seems that the front end is the weak point since it has the least amount of grip where rubber meets road and most weight.

also with lockers and lock outs in front the wouldnt be working unless you switch to all wheel drive and lock it in.

ARBs seem like a more complex system also

spicergear

I knew detroit lockers slipped initially but I was unaware of continued slipping during off road use. Good points....

You know the ARB's would still need stronger axles.
This is a misleading post. Detroits do not slip and continue slipping. When the rear axle is being powered by the driveshaft the Detroit is LOCKED...and that's that. Kenny is right that with good driving they can be very tame. I ran then for years with no problems IN ROCKS on the street. When say you're decelerating and the rear axle has input from the tire slowing the truck, the Detroit is open. Approach a tight turn and lift and make you're turn politely. You will eat up tires if you drive aggressively has the locker will spend more time engaged. These axles are pretty tough and usually 48" to 53" will start stressing them along with a heavy foot. I've pounded these axles with 46" XML's and no sweat on the stock stear axle. I did have Ouverson double splined shafts and drive flanges on the rear.

Detroits are easy to install, just all the parts are heavy. Mark the side lash adjustment nuts (the ones that are threaded into the side of the caps about 4" diameter) so they'll get back in the same place, cut the lock wire and attack it with an impact gun.

spicergear

That's because the axle could be loaded and VERY sprung. You jack it up like that or have a lug tool on it and that thing spings it would be like getting your thumbs caught in a backspinning steering wheel!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ1yMBR7w4Q[/media] Youtube vid on the Detroit Locker No-Spin...what we install...how it works.

TacticalDoc

That's because the axle could be loaded and VERY sprung. You jack it up like that or have a lug tool on it and that thing spings it would be like getting your thumbs caught in a backspinning steering wheel!!!

[media]] Youtube vid on the Detroit Locker No-Spin...what we install...how it works.

again I'm new to this...

the lockers would be under tension and rotates when lifted? why?

if you have lock out hubs it wouldn't be under tension if you lock them out before lifting - right?

I'm thinking of getting lockers/lockout hubs for my front wheels but need to do A LOT more research like learning how to drive with lockers.

Last edited:

spicergear

Lets say you pull into your parking spot by turning into it and your hubs are locked in and your Detroit quietly in action. When you turn one tire turns faster than the other-- with the locker they turn the same speed so axle parts have to take up some of that rotation. Usually it will build to a certain point then the tire will spin, hence chirping sounds sometimes in locked rear axles going around turns in like say a muscle car. You however have over 7,000lbs on the front axle and just turned in and the tires haven't effectively had a chance to try and squirm that sprung tension through the shafts and locker anywhere and you parked it. You won't be able to unlock the hub because there will be so much tension on all parts from hub to hub. Driving forward and back a truck length in a straight line will usually relieve the tension enough to allow the hub to unlock. Jacking up one tire s..l..o..w..l..y.. will help as you can allow it to slowly rotate a little and let the pressure off. If you jack it up real quick and it unloads quickly you could ask for other problems. Usually when a lockout hub won't unlock it's because there's pressure like this on it from the axleshaft. It's actually pretty simple stuff just take a moment to absorb as there's a bit going on.

TacticalDoc

Lets say you pull into your parking spot by turning into it and your hubs are locked in and your Detroit quietly in action. When you turn one tire turns faster than the other-- with the locker they turn the same speed so axle parts have to take up some of that rotation. Usually it will build to a certain point then the tire will spin, hence chirping sounds sometimes in locked rear axles going around turns in like say a muscle car. You however have over 7,000lbs on the front axle and just turned in and the tires haven't effectively had a chance to try and squirm that sprung tension through the shafts and locker anywhere and you parked it. You won't be able to unlock the hub because there will be so much tension on all parts from hub to hub. Driving forward and back a truck length in a straight line will usually relieve the tension enough to allow the hub to unlock. Jacking up one tire s..l..o..w..l..y.. will help as you can allow it to slowly rotate a little and let the pressure off. If you jack it up real quick and it unloads quickly you could ask for other problems. Usually when a lockout hub won't unlock it's because there's pressure like this on it from the axleshaft. It's actually pretty simple stuff just take a moment to absorb as there's a bit going on.

lockers seem to be a pita maybe I go with ARBs

ah and the video wasnt working for me at work

Last edited:

spicergear

Well, yes and no- once you know how to run them you'll usually only know they're there when you need them. My 8,000lb M715 with Rockwells and Detroits saw about 7,000mi street driving with lockers and it was very polite. However, if you have the funds to go ARB and the installation cost...DO IT! Open as open can be then full on locked up at the flick of a switch.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So has anybody ran the Ouverson Engineering lockers in the front and rear of a bobbed M35A2?
I’m ordering a set this week and was wondering how the truck performs off road with them. I’m running 395/85/R20 Michelin XML tires

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So has anybody ran the Ouverson Engineering lockers in the front and rear of a bobbed M35A2?
I’m ordering a set this week and was wondering how the truck performs off road with them. I’m running 395/85/R20 Michelin XML tires
You will need locking hubs to go with the DT. locker in the front.

phil2968

Jack up one side of an axle with a Detroit in it and you can rotate or unlock that side.
I think what the decal refers to about jacking up the vehicle is not to power the axle with one wheel off the ground. The vehicle will leave the jack behind.

Last edited:

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the Eaton Nospin is made of cast steel.. OEM's Nospin is made is billet tool steel witch is much stronger and it's only about $30 dollars more than the Eaton ..just saying

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the Eaton Nospin is made of cast steel.. OEM's Nospin is made is billet tool steel witch is much stronger and it's only about $30 dollars more than the Eaton ..just saying
The center piece of Eaton is a forged steel alloy and the OEM center and outside clutch dogs are made from 8620, the same thing as ring & pinions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks