• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worlds longest unimog recovery

surewriting

Well, its taken a little over 2 years, but we (well my dad, but I feel I can claim some credit, since I found it and got it home safe) finally have our '63 404s Unimog! Be warned, I tend to be long-winded and it might get tedious, and after all, it was a loooonnngg day; it started at about 9am and ended at about 3:30 am.

We bought it about 2 years ago from a very nice gentleman who raises reindeer on a farm down in south GA, and around the same time we purchased an '86 one-ton chevy dually and a 40-ft car hauler gooseneck trailer (located in memphis). It took about a year to get the truck running reliably enough to attempt getting the trailer (went through 2 motors and had the rear end rebuilt), which went off without a hitch (sorry, I love bad puns). When we got it home, it was placed in the backyard, which slopes downhill to a creek, where it levels out and loves to collect a couple of inches of rainwater, fortunately it was put down there in the summer, so no problems getting it down. We had several abortive attempts over the past few months to get the trailer out to get the unimog due to rain and the truck sliding and getting stuck. We finally got down there tuesday morning, and hooked everything up, only to find the trailers tires were all dry-rotted, and one had a nail, and another had a broken valve stem. Well, since we had to get the unimog on that day (otherwise we would have to wait for an unknown number of months, and the former owner needed it off his property, though he was extremely gracious about holding onto it for us), we decided to push our luck (against my better judgement) and head on down with those tires, and no spare.

After a couple of trips to Northern tool to get some d-ring shackles, a snatch block, and many ratchet straps/tie downs (at my insistence- my dad figured he would be fine with 4 straps and one tow strap- we wound up needed 8 ratchet straps and about 5 tow straps), we were about ready to start extracting the trailer from the gooey mess of the backyard.

Now onto the exciting part! But do not worry, I can make this one tedious sounding too lol.

We get the dually backed down the hill, and hooked up to the trailer, and the jeep (nice '06 rubicon, not the crappy one in my avatar) is standing by over to the side, w/ winch, waiting to have to pull stuff around. So far so good, and we start getting some momentum through the muddy stuff, about to make it to more solid ground, when a sapling gets caught between the tire and the frame of the trailer (open tire design- no fenders), so we have to back up, and get stuck in the mud. At my suggestion, the jeep is placed with its front bumper against a tree (to brace it) to winch the trailer sideways about 20 feet through the mud, and it worked perfectly! The yard got a bit torn up though. Then to move the jeep way ahead and to to the side of the dually, to brace it against another tree (other wise it'll just slide in the slick muddy grass), and use the snatch block to haul the truck forwards a couple of feet. After that, we hook up all the tow straps together with the d-rings and put the jeep up on the pavement at the top of the hill (as seen in my avatar, my former truck being pulled out), and winch that sucker out. We smoked the clutch on the jeep trying to tow truck and trailer, and just wound up using just the little electric winch to pull it all the way up the hill, whereupon we meet another setback: the footings for the trailer are hitting the sidewalk and preventing the trailer from being hauled all the way up to street level. After much swearing, grunting and PB blaster, we get the neck of the trailer adjusted up, and the whole shebang onto the street, almost ready to go. So far, its taken about 3 1/2 hours to move the trailer about 300 feet.

Onto part II of the Saga!

The jeep is loaded up and strapped down on the trailer (need to use it to pull the non-running unimog around and onto the trailer for the recovery). The plan is me and my dad are going to drive down there as fast as safely possible, and load up the unimog and the jeep on the trailer, and drive home. Don't worry, more setbacks are on their way! Whilst driving around Atlanta, we get a flat on one of the trailer tires, and have to pull off at the nearest exit and get to a tire shop, whereupon we are informed that the empty lot we pulled into next to the tire shop wont work (they cant reach it with the air hoses), and that we need to turn around and back into the tiny parking lot, which involved me having to stop traffic, and my dad (not having driven this trailer more than once), backs into a subaru with the corner of the trailer, leaving a half-dollar sized hole, which of course puts everyone in an irritable mood, which is compounded by the fact that all the trailer tires are crap and need to be replaced. Aparrently they were all dry-rotted, one was a passenger car tire, another was off of an SUV, and one was some random bias ply tire (the one that went flat), and of course the shop only has 3 tires. While its being worked on, we also find out that the tires will support the weight of the jeep and unimog, but not the dual axles, which puts a bit of a hitch in our plans. Since I regrettably cannot drive stick (working on it), my mother is called in to drive down about 45 min to take a trip with us, so she can drive the jeep back home (the only other member of the household capable of driving that beast). The recovery has gotten more complicated.

Now, to part III!

After lots of driving through rural south GA, we make it to the place where the unimog is, and of course, theyve been getting rain nonstop, so its all unpaved and under a inch or two of water. First things first, just getting the truck and trailer into the driveway, we get stuck. Next, onto to inspect the unimog (kept in a barn), and we get the truck unstuck, turned the right way, hook the jeep up to the unimog, pull it around to the trailer, load it up, and drive the rest of the way back nice and uneventful (to cut it short).

And none of it would have happened without my expert guidance (sorry, I just want to brag for a moment, since Im pretty modest in person, or at least act like it). Faced with constant setbacks, darn near everything I did worked like a charm and man it feels good to have absolutely everything you do to fix something work perfectly. :-D

some pictures to come, I promise! sadly, not a whole lot, because I was busy working :roll:

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow. What a long day! Can't wait to see the pics! :p

I had a 404S Mog once. They are a lot of fun. Any idea why yours isn't running?

Josh

If it was with in 100 miles of your house and you have AAA+, I would have called them and said it broken down on your way home and had AAA tow it home for free.

THe unimog that is.

surewriting

Its not running mainly because its been sitting for about 3 years, so draining the tanks, putting in new batteries and gas and some carb cleaner should get it running. it ran (barely) about a year ago, to move it from a field to the barn.

It certainly was a loooong day, but it was a lot of fun, and quite a bit more than 100 miles away:-D. gotta run to work and then do the family time thing, so pics will probably come late tonight.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I had a Unimog I used Expedition Outfitters in California for all my parts and manuals. Scott over there is great to deal with and by far the best customer service I have ever had with any company EVER! Only problem is nothing is cheap with a unimog, not extremely expensive but its not like buying parts for a duece.

roscoe

Great story. Probably worked out for the best to get a flat on the trailer. That could have ended badly with the unimog and jeep on the trailer with bad tires and towed with a one ton chevy(see thread about $1,800.00 tow bill). Keep us posted on getting the unimog up and running.

surewriting

pics are coming tonight- gotta do last minute xmas shopping lol! Thanks for the info, Djfreema, ill look into them. Theres a place called Eurotruck importers that deals in unimog and g-wagen parts. Theyre about 15 min away from the house. Anyone have expeirence dealing with them?

The plan for the unimog is to turn it into an off-road toy: The Mog Shop | Specialized restoration, custom development & system Design thats the cage were going to put on it, so well be selling the bed before too long. The biggest thing im going to miss are the rifle holders lol. For the time being, im planning on putting some BB guns in it and cruising around when we get it running.

surewriting

Its got the engine covers, I just took them off because I was messing around with stuff. Theres not a whole lot of rust on it, but the wood in the bed is pretty well rotted out. This unimog is the best Christmas gift so far!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks