• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much fuel in an "Empty" tank?

houdel

How much diesel should be left if your fuel tank when you run out of fuel? When I picked up my Duece from Selfridge ANG Base last week, the fuel guage was not working. I had the foresight to bring a long, thin stick of wood with me just in case I needed to check the fuel level in the tank. Much to my surprise, the tank was nearly 3/4 full. I added the 5 gallons of diesel I had with me plus a quart of Power Service Fuel Conditioner and Injector Cleaner and proceeded to drive the 230 or so miles home.

Along the way I took a few rest stops and sticked the tank each time to check my fuel level. About 2/3s of the way up my 150' driveway, I ran out aof fuel and the engine quit! At least I made it that far, I'd have been in a world of hurt had I run out of fuel 50 miles (or even 5 miles) sooner, since I had one dead battery and no way to restart it!

I sticked the tank again and still had about 2" of fuel in it. Since it was now dark, I left it sitting where it was. The next day, I put 10 gallons of diesel into the tank, measured the fuel depth with a yardstick, then added another 10 gallons and measured again. Each 10 gallons of fuel added 2-5/8" of fuel depth. By my calculations, I had about 2-3/8" of fuel, or about 9 gallons of diesel, when I ran out of fuel.

How much fuel should there be in an "empty" tank? To me, 9 gallons seems like quite a bit of fuel to be "empty". Is this intentional, to avoid sucking up water or crud from the bottom of the tank? Also, I understand the depth of the fuel pump is somewhat adjustable as the same fuel pump assembly is used on tanks of differing depths. Is it possible when my truck was rebuilt a Tooele in '89 that the pump was not set to the correct depth for my tank?

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience in this area? I'd like to hear your comments.

Thanks, Lee

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depth adjustment is a possibility. I try not to let mine get below the little frame that the strainer sits in. On the road I refuel at 300 miles. Better safe than sorry. My wrecker runs out like that too. Also consider that the fuel pump has side screens too which can allow air into the system.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That parallels my experiences also. I figure about 10 gallons constitiute an empty tank. About 2-1/2 inches on the stick (my method for measuring full level too, just to be on the safe side).
The way the fuel pump is adjusted per spec, it almost touches the bottom of the tank, so that's not much we can do about it.
Off-road, you will need more in the tank because of sloshing and tilt.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
houdel said:
About 2/3s of the way up my 150' driveway, I ran out aof fuel and the engine quit
Could there be a clue here??

Is it possible that the fuel just ran to the back of the tank while you were going UP the driveway and away from the fuel pump pick-up??????????

I've had it happen in my pick-up before...parked at my uncles house on a side slope with 1/4 tank left in the truck....wouldn't start to save it's life, till I hooked up the tractor and pulled it to level ground

Last edited:

50shooter

Same story for me. Checked the tank had plenty drove home from the farm and truck acted up but I thought....couldn't be fuel I checked it. She died on the street and had to have my wife tow me. After lots of trouble shooting and filter changing etc. I need at least 7 gallons or so to run. My fuel pump is resting on the bottom of the tank. I may have a air hole in the line a couple inches up though.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know my 5 ton leaves 10 gallons in the tank when it quits running.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Thats why they have the jerry can bracket on the side of the truck :wink:
We always had spare fuel....it was just maddening that the dam truck would run out just a few miles from a planned fuel/rest stop.

Myself and another member brought three deuces back from Arkasas a few years ago.....I was flat towing a deuce with a deuce (had my Ford Ranger pickup in the back). The truck ran out of fuel twice with the guage showing almost half a tank.

I now figure 6 MPG empty or loaded and check the tank when I hit 300 miles (if I am going that far). Since I don't make long trips now it hasn't been a issue lately.

91W350

When we ran across SD pulling my M1008 home behind my deuce, we burned 30 gallons between Rapid City and Mitchel. It was 339 miles and 11.2 mpg. Karl Kostman did most of the driving, I think he just got bored and stole my deuce for something to do. 8)

That is okay, I got plenty of drive time the next day coming home. My portion was 400 miles, by the time I drove around the Kansas Port of Entry....

That was when I took all of the dashboard photos.... WM, six should be pretty safe unless you guys are flying... Glen

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks