• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Amateur Radio

rlwm211

Update on the deuce and using a radio while driving!~

I installed a bullet race muffler and can carry on a conversation with an HT while making road speed, without HEADSET OR anything...I could hear fine and reports on my audio were good, no problems uynderstanding me, and not too much background noise.

Now I have to figure out what radio to put in the deuce cab....decisions decisions....

RL W2WHT

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just got my technicians license last month. Im in the texas state guard and they encourage you to get one so i did. Right now i just have 2 meter but more soon to come. Gonna setup the m1009 with some ham gear just for fun.

Michael, kf5ehs
hooah! 19 rgt c4i

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opcom KD5OEI licensed since maybe 1995? I have an extra but the real license is the FCC general radiotelephone. since 1986.

Before I sold the M35, it had the bands 160-10M, CB, 6M, 2M, 440, MURS, GMRS, FRS, Plus other services or bands and some opened radios.

HF:
military GRC-106A
Icom IC706 MK II
Alinco DX-70
Cobra 148GTL

VHF LOW (incl 6M):
RT246
RT524
Icom IC706 MK II
Alinco DX-70

VHF HI (2M)
Icom IC706 MK II
Alinco DR-135

UHF (440)
Alinch DR-435

aircraft VHF AM
aircraft UHF AM
FAA 20 watt sets.

The equipment in the truck changed over time and there are too many pics to post of th setups here.
To see the various installations, go to www.bunkerofdoom.com and check the links in these sections (scroll down)
Military Vehicles and Generators (the M35 truck entries)
19 BDE Texas State Guard (the events have good pics)

A lot of the fun was operating this stuff while on state guard duty at annual training and various misions and events like the baloon race we do security for each year. For a few years before HQ began to cast an eye towards communications and computing, we really set the pace for commo using the M35. Now they provide satcom stuff, but we still remain prepared to do what we have to on top of that, whether it is short or long range.

One interesting event happened at an AT when "SGM god" from another RGT turned up in our CP and told us we were on his "channel" and was further unhappy because he could not find our RTOs, which we had set up the TOC in a field 100 yards away for security. (he actually said to the SGT at the desk doing paperwork that he was god) He apparently expected to come in there and start yelling and chewing RTO butt and instead found the XO who was not amused, but that is a story for another place and time.

rlwm211

photos of my S280

Here are a few photos of my S280 I configured the shelter as a combination radio shack and camper. The battery is a business jet 28 volt converted to 13.8 volt, with about 100 amp hours. I used some CUCV Radio installation components after changing the main circuit breaker to 30 amp from 100. The HF rig stows in a MILSPEC shipping case, and the 2 meter is mounted in a fat fifty ammo can with 15 amp hours of battery onboard. There is a smart charger maintainer onboard the vehicle that can charge all of the batteries and keep them topped off.
This shelter was stripped when I got it, so everything inside and mounted on the outside was put there by me. It is very utilitarian and that is fine by me. If I wanted an RV I would have bought one instead of my deuce and shelter.

Attachments

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radio Club Visit

I took the M-715 and the AN/GRC-142 "up the mountain" to the tower site for our QCWA picnic. We worked some 20 meter stations and received a bit of Canadian military RTTY, just for a demonstration. All on the 15 foot whip and truck power. I had enough fun getting up there without trying to drag the generator trailer up the winding mountain roads.

Attachments

Troll1216

Glad to see HAM radio isnt dead... I have had my License for about 5 years..... What are you guys using to put a mobile in a 24v system? The converters I have found are all a little too expensive for me right now as my first Deuce will be picked up shortly (nodd to lavarok for his excellent hospitality). Would running the radio off one of the two batteries be a bad idea?

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you guys using to put a mobile in a 24v system? The converters I have found are all a little too expensive for me right now as my first Deuce will be picked up shortly (nodd to lavarok for his excellent hospitality). Would running the radio off one of the two batteries be a bad idea?
All the equipment in the shelter is original military so it's all 24 volt. And, no, while you can certainly run the 12 volt stuff on one battery, its not a good long term solution. You will shorten the battery life due to one battery underchanging and one overcharging.

Wrench Wench

I'd love a Yaesu FT-8900R in an armature with a handle with a 12 VDC gel cell and a Diamond CR-8900 for mobile hamming, but I can dream. I've got three ideas for a mobile ham shack.

SMALL) S250 on a M200 trailer; welded and bolted; with undermounted water tanks and batteries for long duration "missions"; fold-down, triangular, telescoping antenna tower on the roof, along with a few solar panels to charge the batteries and for emergency backup; and a MEP-003 or MEP-002 stripped of batteries and fuel tank mounted under the passenger's side of the S250's truck bed lip, forward of the wheel well; the fuel tank can be undermounted elsewhere, or a safe diesel disconnect for it plumbed in from the towing vehicle; and the coup de grace, a small A/C to keep the air flowing in at the front and out at the back.

It would be something more than a ham shack with a cot, something less than a caravan camper with a bunch of radios.

MEDIUM) Similar to above only with an S280 on a M1061 with its flat bed removed and the S280 mounted directly to the trailer chassis. It would be much like the small version, only with a lot of stuff formerly hung on the outside and protected now mounted inside. Maybe the MEP-003 would have to be mounted on the tongue. With lots more room, there would be lots more options and supplies and food and water and comforts (bigger A/C). It would become both, more caravan camper and more ham shack.

GARGANTUAN) M129. Nuf sed.

Like I heard it said somewhere, prolly right here ITT, I'd rather convert the shelters to campers than the shop vans to campers due to the greater insulation in the walls.

The starter rack of ham radio equipment I'd want in the mobile ham shack would be a pair of FT-8900Rs and a Kenwood TS-2000X. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shelters On Trailers

Is putting a shelter on a 2 wheel trailer a good idea? I suppose if empty but stock RTTY shelters are awfully top heavy and a two wheel trailer may be unstable? All the later commo trailers in the military are 4 wheel, maybe for a reason.

I know several people that have thought about it but all have decided against it. Maybe a good discussion topic.

Wrench Wench

Anyone done it with a genset and battery banks and water tanks and fuel tanks down around the frame rails?

What if the solar panels and tower come off the roof and are strapped to the floor for travelling?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have hauled my S-250 many miles on a small commercial 2 wheeled trailer (1200 lb capacity, 15 inch wheels). The shelters are not very heavy, 800-900 lbs, and the combination seemed quite stable. Adding water tanks, batteries, and generator at bed level would actually help stability, IMHO. I doubt if solar panels and a lightweight tower or pole would cause much CG raising.

The big advantage of a smaller trailer is access to the shelter. One step up on the trailer and a small step into the shelter is convenient. Sure beats climbing into the bed of a deuce (or Unimog!).

Tennmogger

Anyone done it with a genset and battery banks and water tanks and fuel tanks down around the frame rails?

What if the solar panels and tower come off the roof and are strapped to the floor for travelling?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did it with a genertator. 6KW diesel plumbed into the fuel tank. No running water. Two A/C units to cool the S-280. The electrical stuff I built in was very highly integrated for 120/240V, 12V, and 24V. There was a battery equalizer on the deuce, four 92AH AGM batteries in the shelter, and enough breakers and contactors to charge some or all batteries and run radios at the same time from different power sources including the truck's system.

All the things learned from building the Deuce comms truck are being applied to the M8109 (M818+M109 body). One thing is windows. It is annoying after 6-8 hours in the S-280 to not have a window. The S-280 also has about 1FT more width inside and maybe a FT longer inside. Once the weather cools off and I can work on the truck again I'll get the 109's bodywork done to patch a few small holes and stop the rust and then replace the floor, or part of it. I am afraid the wood floor is bolted in, That is scary. It ought to be possible to remove the interior walls and put foam insulation inside. Even 1/4 or 3/8" thick ought to help.

The M109 box ought to be easier than the S-280 to put a head in. That would be a fine luxury.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick,
The 109 walls are 1.5 to 2 inches thick, so there is plenty of room for insulation. Above the lights in the ceiling - well, that's a different story! But it is much brighter with the interior in gloss white!

1waterdog

KD7DWZ I bought my M1028 to set up my radios, I am looking for antenna mounts if anyone has any. I did add insulation to the hood and the roof of the truck and have added a NMO dual band antenna to the roof. I am looking to put my TMV7a and Icom 706 and a crimminal band radio.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see HAM radio isnt dead... I have had my License for about 5 years..... What are you guys using to put a mobile in a 24v system? The converters I have found are all a little too expensive for me right now as my first Deuce will be picked up shortly (nodd to lavarok for his excellent hospitality). Would running the radio off one of the two batteries be a bad idea?
Scootertrs in Mia had some smaller inverters he was moving for $50. I have one in Crusty and it works great. I would advise against center tapping the batteries.

rlwm211

Field Day 2010

Hi;
We used the S250 as a comm shack and my Deuce and S280 as a platform for the antenna mast.
Using fiberglass poles we put a 102' G5RV up 38' and a T2FD up 20. The setup took less than 15 minutes. I am adding a couple of pictures but they do not do justice to the setup. By using interconnections between the battery bank in the deuce shelter and the batteries on the trailer for the S250 we had substantial power available for operations without using a generator.

Of course, good food, conversation and a nice campfire made for a great weekend. We also had a young black bear wander through the area and very close to our camp. Our intention was to test systems and to verify the ease of setting up a pair of antennas in a short time period. We met all objectives and did a little radio work too!

RL W2WHT group callsign KC2NYS

Attachments

timass1

Nice setup there, mine is a work in progress. I have two 250 shelters and I just got an m109a3 to convert to a camper/ ham shack. Our club was using the callsign K1MUJ. I was unable to play this year due to wk. but did manage to stop by with the duece to tease everyone for next yr.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks