• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v military battery charger

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out this cool charger i just scooped up off ebay, it was only listed for a few minutes. 6/12/24 volt charger with a slave connector plug, this thing is really gonna make my life easier. the pics and description are here 220540612339. does anyone have experience with these? I have been looking for a quality unit for a couple on months. snap on has one but its like 650 bucks and it looks like its plastic.

Military support equipment, more cool stuff!

Attachments

onegmjack

I seen that but you beat me to it.Post up how it works.I had one my brother gave me it was gave to him when he worked in a Freightliner Dealership,but it was stole.Came with a cable to connect the batteries,just hook to two 12 volts and charge. Wish I had it now but, God Bless the thieves.Good luck and post up the results.

Crazyguypa

I've got 2 of em and I can say it's one of the best things that I had gotten from GL over the years. Best of all it has the slave cable connector, so you don't even have to open the battery compartment up to connect. The 24v setting will not show the proper charging voltage across the connectors until a load is placed on it. It sounded strange to me at first when I checked the chargers.

on 6v across the connectors would be 7v with a voltmeter - good
on 12v across the connectors would be 14v with a voltmeter - good
on 24v across the connectors would be 22v with a voltmeter - not good. I took one of the chargers into work and had the electrical dept take a look at it and they confirmed what I found. They then hooked it up to a 24v battery setup and it wasn't until then, did they find out when that the charger was attached to a load would it put out the correct voltage of 28v.

you can also find the operating instructions on the internet. I think its only like 2 or 3 pages.

If you got any questions. send me a pm

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Frank, are you interested in selling one? I bid on one a while back, but did not get it. Please PM if you are interested in selling it.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

Those "wrong" voltage readings are probably due to the waveform of the charger output. Most likely the output is unfiltered pulsed DC. Most voltmeters will try to read that and come up with some kind of average voltage. Different voltmeters will read different results (depending on their effective time constant).

Placing the battery across the charger lets the voltmeter read the true average voltage. The battery is an excellent filter!

A capacitor across the charger would also correct the problem, but you'd then read an unloaded peak reading.

Bob

I've got 2 of em and I can say it's one of the best things that I had gotten from GL over the years. Best of all it has the slave cable connector, so you don't even have to open the battery compartment up to connect. The 24v setting will not show the proper charging voltage across the connectors until a load is placed on it. It sounded strange to me at first when I checked the chargers.

on 24v across the connectors would be 22v with a voltmeter - not good. I took one of the chargers into work and had the electrical dept take a look at it and they confirmed what I found. They then hooked it up to a 24v battery setup and it wasn't until then, did they find out when that the charger was attached to a load would it put out the correct voltage of 28v.

you can also find the operating instructions on the internet. I think its only like 2 or 3 pages.

If you got any questions. send me a pm

stumps

The strange readings are because the charger rectifies, but doesn't filter the output. Your DC meter sees the average voltage, but the battery sees the peak.

-Chuck

NEIOWA

Check out this cool charger i just scooped up off ebay, it was only listed for a few minutes. 6/12/24 volt charger with a slave connector plug, this thing is really gonna make my life easier. the pics and description are here 220540612339. does anyone have experience with these? I have been looking for a quality unit for a couple on months. snap on has one but its like 650 bucks and it looks like its plastic.

Military support equipment, more cool stuff!

What is the NSN?

NEIOWA

I have on that I got for our FD. Looks same as OP's photo. Oures dDoes not have a slave connection though. I would also be interested in photo of your cables.

The one we have does not seem to have a booster/start function. Works ok for trickler/charge. Maybe need to locate a TM w/instrucitons.

emr

an fyi is still need to pull batts once a year and rotate so u do not get a lazy one in the back after awhile, not telling, just suggesting, great find and wish i had one too. :) good luck with it,

3dAngus

I'd rather have that one than mine (PP-1451/G), but mine don't cost as much, even though they put out more current.

Thing weighs about 200 lbs.

Yours is more compact and has the slave connector. I had to wire mine up with one. Good find!!!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have tried a few times to pick up the unit you have, You should be proud of your find. There is nothing better for your application.

Triple Jim

That looks like a decent one for 12 and 24 Volt batteries. I got at kick out of the 7200 mA rating. I guess they think that sounds a lot better than 7.2 Amps.

PeterD

Our local 'outlet' (Ocean State Job Lot) has a few 12/24 volt chargers. They're about $70 each. I could stop by tomorrow AM and see if there are any left.

91W350

We have one that came in a generator repair trailer that I bought at Riley. It has been very tough, easily the best charger I have ever been around. We use it all the time on crawlers and wheel loaders, if anybody knows where I can get another, please chime in!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks