• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 / M1009 CUCV Oil Cooler Line Failure

burbn10

I just wanted to bring to light a problem for pre-1985 M1008/09 owners. GM issued a recall for these vehicles and the civvy counterparts because of faulty oil cooler lines. I just found this out today when I went down to my garage and noticed the pool of oil on the floor. Thankfully, the line didn't go when I was driving. I did some research and found that there is actually a still-active recall for this issue. Here is the information:

Number:85C14Section:6 & 6ADate:August, 1985PRODUCT CAMPAIGN 85C14 ENGINE OIL COOLER LINES MAY FAIL
1985 C/K/G/P MODEL LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH AN ENGINE OIL COOLER TO:ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS

General Motors has determined that some 1985 C/K/G/P Light Duty trucks equipped with a gasoline engine or a 6.2L diesel engine that have an engine oil cooler, RPO KC4, may experience failure of the engine oil cooler hose/hoses. During normal operation the hoses may burst, resulting in a rapid engine oil loss which could result in internal engine damage.
To prevent the possibility of this condition ocurring, involved vehicles must be inspected for suspect oil cooler lines and replacement lines installed if necessary.

OWNER NOTIFICATION
Owners will be notified of this campaign on their vehicles by Chevrolet Motor Division (see copy of Owner Letter included with this bulletin).
DEALER CAMPAIGN RESPONSIBILITY
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Whenever a vehicle subject to this campaign is taken into your new or used vehicle inventory, or it is in your dealership for service in the future you should take the steps necessary to be sure the campaign correction has been made before reselling or releasing the vehicle.
Owners of vehicles recently sold from your new vehicle inventory are to be contacted by the dealer, and arrangements made to make the required modification according to instructions contained in this bulletin.

Inspect both engine oil cooler lines for manufacturing date code (reference the 1985 Light Duty Truck Service Manual, ST-330-85, for cooler line location). Lines marked with a date code of 2654, as shown in Figure No. 1, must be replaced. In addition, replace the cooler line if the date code cannot be read or if the date code does not appear on the hose section of the line.
Lines with identification numbers other than above are OK and are not to be replaced.

Naturally, it will cost me more to get my disabled M1008 to the dealership for repair than it will be for parts, so I am going to fix mine myself, but I figured I would share this with everyone else. I got new lines from NAPA for $33 each.

Last edited:

4bogginchevys

good post, I wonder if any 84/86 models would also be subject because of the odd builds of the military....(everything based off of 1 model throughout the years).:-D

vtwinpilot

Oil lines

I caught mine leaking a few years ago, the replacement's were imported so I am alway's watching them. I considered having some custom made out of hydraulic hose and fitting's. I also considered plugging them off since I am not in a hot climate and those hoses are a very risky venture.

burbn10

I believe that your '86 is safe because the recall was issued in August of 1985. So they were aware of this before that time. The 1984 is under the recall from what I have read. Just check the numbers stamped on the hoses to see if they match the recalled hoses like mine did. If the hose is stamped 2654, it is one of the recalled hoses.

burbn10

Installed the new oil cooler lines this morning. They were not fun... If you do it, make sure to pay close attention to how the lines sit and overlap each other going around the back of the engine. It also helps a lot to have somebody else help wiggle the lines around when trying to get the flare nuts started on the back of the engine. I lost about a quart of oil during the change. But no leaks now!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the new lines come with new seals, gasket or o-rings(whatever they seal with).

I need to replace one of my flexible oil cooler lines and I would love to walk into Napa, acting like I know what I need!

I found online,these Napa part numbers, can you confirm this is what you used and how they fit?

BK 8232229 (upper)
BK 8232235 (lower)

Last edited:

dependable

I usually keep a pair of these around as I have several 6.2 s in my work fleet. I used one recently due to fray hole. The one I have left is a Dorman 625-154. The other one, upper or lower is one number different t in last digit. Unfortunatly, is made in china. Hydraulic type fitting, no gasket needed

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great, Thanks. I did find the Dorman part numbers also.

Dorman 625-154 and 625-155. That's what my Napa has available.

burbn10

Did the new lines come with new seals, gasket or o-rings(whatever they seal with).

I need to replace one of my flexible oil cooler lines and I would love to walk into Napa, acting like I know what I need!

I found online,these Napa part numbers, can you confirm this is what you used and how they fit?

BK 8232229 (upper)
BK 8232235 (lower)
I can't confirm the part numbers, but they did come with new o-rings and fit pretty decent. Not perfect, but decent. I had to tweak them a little to fit like OEM. Been on my truck for a few months now. No problems.

blitzengine

NHTSA Campaign Number:83V107000 Vehicle/Equipment Make:CHEVROLET Vehicle/Eqipment Model:BLAZER Model Year:1984 Mfg Campaign Number: Mfg Component Desc:SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS Mfg Involved in Recall:GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Manufacture Dates:07-01-83 through 08-01-83 Type of Report:(V) Vehicle Potential # of Units Affected:13,181 Date Owner Notified by Mfg:10-18-83 Recall Initiated By:MFR Mfg Responsible for Recall:GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Report Recieved Date:10-13-83 Record Creation Date:10-21-83 Regulation Part Number: FMVSS Number: Defect Summary:THE RIGHT FRONT CROSSOVER PIPE, WHICH CARRIES BRAKE HYDRAULIC FLUID, MAY BREAK AND LEAK FLUID. THIS OCCURS WHEN THE RIGHT FRONT FENDER SKIRT CONTACTS THE PIPE AND VIBRATION CAUSES THE PIPE TO WEAR THROUGH. Consequence Summary: Corrective Summary:IF THE POSITION AND CLEARANCE OF THE BRAKE PIPE ARE INCORRECT, THE FENDER SKIRT WILL BE ADJUSTED AND A REPLACEMENT PIPE WILL BE INSTALLED.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I installed new oil cooler lines.

I ended up with the Napa(Balkamp) hoses listed above(the Napa hoses were actually labeled with the Dorman numbers on them). They did work but, they were definitely a challenge to get into a position where they did not touch the exhaust manifold, cab, shift rod, and each other. I could not reuse the original looped clamp that holds them in place at the filter end.

They did come with 1 o-ring, on one end of each hose. That meant I had to reuse 2 of my original o-rings.

The final outcome looks fine. I did sleeve some rubber hose on to them, so they don't touch(where they were clos

Last edited:

burbn10

Today I installed new oil cooler lines.

I ended up with the Napa hoses listed above. They did work but, they were definitely a challenge to get into a position where they did not touch the exhaust manifold, cab, shift rod, and each other. I could not reuse the original looped clamp that holds them in place at the filter end.

They did come with 1 o-ring, on one end of each hose. That meant I had to reuse 2 of my original o-rings.

The final outcome looks fine. I did sleeve some rubber hose on to them, so they don't touch(where they were clos
Yeah. They definitely are a pain to position. Especially if you did it yourself. I was unable to use the factory holddown tab on the engine as well, but my Napa hoses came with both sets of O-rings. I had to do some slight bending to the aluminum end of the hoses behind the engine so they didn't vibrate against the shift linkage, but other than that, they worked out well.

dependable

I just did another one today in an 82 K-30. One of the aluminum lines on the radiator leaked due to chaffing . Radiator, oil lines , both flexable and ridged are different thread type than CUCV and newer civ 6.2s. Had to change adapters on engine block all the way to and including radiator. Just a heads up there are 2 different 6.2 radiators and oil lines out there.The old ones do not seem to be available. Switched everything over to later style lines and fittings. I did have to bend one of the brand new Dorman lines to make it fit.

Mudstone

wait... so my lines are unreadable... does that mean GM has to replace them free of charge? my lower is leaking near the radiator... in the fitting not the threads.

burbn10

wait... so my lines are unreadable... does that mean GM has to replace them free of charge? my lower is leaking near the radiator... in the fitting not the threads.
Sounds like that's what they mean. If they are OEM lines, they should replace them free of charge.

Mudstone

ha i'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow... however on the nths website there is no recall like the one above listed for 84 85 or 86 chevy blazers...

burbn10

ha i'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow... however on the nths website there is no recall like the one above listed for 84 85 or 86 chevy blazers...
I pulled that recall info off of Alldata. It is a copy of the GM recall sent out back in the day. I believe it covers all 6.2 J-codes. Let me know if GM takes care of it for you. Would be good for everyone who has this issue to know.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed Saturday, I had oil dripping on the exhaust pipe on the drivers side.

A close inspection and I found the new oil line has moved a bit and has been touching the cab.

It has worn a hole in the new aluminum part of the line! I should have figured out a way to install that retaining clamp to keep this from happening.

I had to order a new line, and this time I'll bend them both until the clamp can be installed. I was worried I would damage the new line, bending it too much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks