• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 / M1009 CUCV Oil Cooler Line Failure

unaffiliated

I called the local chevy dealer and they said to bring it by and they would write up the order. she said a recall is for ever, I gave her the number 85c14 and she said "wow thats an old old one " i said it sure is I'll see ya in a few!!!:beer:
I googled this recall number and called the Chevy dealer and got the same results. They said it was an engine wiring harness recall on Buick's. The dealer also said my VIN did not have any open recalls. My M1008 was made 7/85. Darn, I was hoping to get free oil cooler lines.

unaffiliated

I ordered new oil cooler lines from Advance auto parts today. I had them look them up for a 1984 Chevy K30 to start with and they had no listing. Then I gave them the Dorman numbers and they came right up. One was $38.00 and the other was $46.00. We shall see how they fit. I need the lower one badly because it is dripping and I really don't want a locked up engine if it decides to let loose on the highway.

unaffiliated

I picked up the new oil cooler hoses from Advance today. They fit OK I guess except that they stuck out from the block further than the original and the support clamp would not fit. I had to remove the bracket from the exhaust manifold that held the clamp. I drilled another hole in it and put a speed clip with caged nut on the bracket. Then I just tweaked the lines carefully until I could get the clamp back on. I haven't started the truck yet because I still have other work to do in the morning. I think they will be Ok. I am going to try and get the OE lines rebuilt at my favorite hydraulic hose shop. I'll let y'all know if they can rebuild them

epartsman

Do not waste your time with the dealer and the recall the ones I spoke to said it is too old and the vin#'s dont come up on the system as well as the full recall #'s. I ordered mine from Napa today and will be getting tomorrow. There is nothing a tubing bender wont modify and with a little wireloom protection and some thermal wrap it will be good to go.

jdeoliveira74

I had mine made for $60 TOTAL with new o rings in each side. no leaks. You can still get the hoses at your chevy dealer as i checked... super expensive 180 out the door

CUCV85

I called the local chevy dealer and they said to bring it by and they would write up the order. she said a recall is for ever, I gave her the number 85c14 and she said "wow thats an old old one " i said it sure is I'll see ya in a few!!!:beer:
Originally Posted by original
Dealer replaced mine (Jan 85 M1008 No problems no hassle. They didn't leak, but why not if its free.

Post a copy of the Work Order for the Recall you had done so we all can copy and show directly to our dealers.

Last edited:

allenhillview

I caught mine leaking a few years ago, the replacement's were imported so I am alway's watching them. I considered having some custom made out of hydraulic hose and fitting's. I also considered plugging them off since I am not in a hot climate and those hoses are a very risky venture.
Let me know if you are successful at the custom approach, its hard to identify the fittings (at least I thought so), inside diameter would be critical ?

CUCV85

85C14 85C14A 85C14AZ did anyone get a free recall performed

A lot of us are very curious about the free recall performed for you.

Last edited:

epartsman

A lot of us are very curious about the free recall performed. Has anyone been able to get a dealership to perform a free line replacement? If so Please post a picture of the bill with your name blackened out. Dealership I went to wants to see some sort of payment code, parts used, location etc. Once someone is successful or has been successful you can help us All out by posting a copy of your work order for the recall performed, thanks SFC Weis
I think someone may have been blowing smoke (Diesel). All the dealers in the Jacksonville Florida area said it was too old and I even brought the copy of the recall from All Data (does not have GM pay codes) which was useless. Our vin#'s do not come up on the GM warranty system which is where they get the pay codes from. I just bought the Napa lines which fit OK as a precaution as mine were soft. Free would have been nice.

joediveguy

I think someone may have been blowing smoke (Diesel). All the dealers in the Jacksonville Florida area said it was too old and I even brought the copy of the recall from All Data (does not have GM pay codes) which was useless. Our vin#'s do not come up on the GM warranty system which is where they get the pay codes from. I just bought the Napa lines which fit OK as a precaution as mine were soft. Free would have been nice.

Can you post the copy you got from "All Data"?

CUCV85

member "burbn10" notifies us of an active recall
then 2 members "original" and "bigduck" entertained us that they had a work order for a recall performed
no one provides A Work Order for a recall actually performed
read above threads
I will eat my words if someone can actually provide work order proof

Last edited:

CUCV85

per your request

Can you post the copy you got from "All Data"?
POST was user "burbn10"
contributors include "Original" and "Bigduck"
Alldata.
Number:85C14Section:6 & 6ADate:August, 1985PRODUCT CAMPAIGN 85C14 ENGINE OIL COOLER LINES MAY FAIL
1985 C/K/G/P MODEL LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH AN ENGINE OIL COOLER TO:ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS

General Motors has determined that some 1985 C/K/G/P Light Duty trucks equipped with a gasoline engine or a 6.2L diesel C or J engine that have an engine oil cooler, RPO KC4, may experience failure of the engine oil cooler hose/hoses. During normal operation the hoses may burst, resulting in a rapid engine oil loss which could result in internal engine damage.
To prevent the possibility of this condition occurring, involved vehicles must be inspected for suspect oil cooler lines and replacement lines installed.

OWNER NOTIFICATION
Owners will be notified of this campaign on their vehicles by Chevrolet Motor Division (see copy of Owner Letter included with this bulletin).
DEALER CAMPAIGN RESPONSIBILITY
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Whenever a vehicle subject to this campaign is taken into your new or used vehicle inventory, or it is in your dealership for service in the future you should take the steps necessary to be sure the campaign correction has been made before reselling or releasing the vehicle.
Owners of vehicles recently sold from your new vehicle inventory are to be contacted by the dealer, and arrangements made to make the required modification according to instructions contained in this bulletin.

Inspect both engine oil cooler lines for manufacturing date code (reference the 1985 Light Duty Truck Service Manual, ST-330-85, for cooler line location). Lines marked with a date code of 2654, as shown in Figure No. 1, must be replaced. In addition, replace the cooler line if the date code cannot be read or if the date code does not appear on the hose section of the line.
84/85, are under an Active Recall that are still in effect, oil cooler lines GM 14061344 and 14061345.
Rubber hoses/metal lines that go across the radiator.
Napa BK 8232229 (upper) BK 8232235 (lower) OR Dorman 625-154 and 625-155
The problem originated with the rubber lines of course but the issue with the aluminum lines was contact with fan housing and time. Wore down the metal and created a hairline leak after 25 years.
New lines get installed with an extra zip tie to keep the contact from happening. Nalley Buick GMC
178 Altama Connector
Brunswick, GA 31525
888-501-2401

epartsman

POST was user "burbn10"
contributors include "Original" and "Bigduck"
Alldata.
Number:85C14Section:6 & 6ADate:August, 1985PRODUCT CAMPAIGN 85C14 ENGINE OIL COOLER LINES MAY FAIL
1985 C/K/G/P MODEL LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH AN ENGINE OIL COOLER TO:ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS

General Motors has determined that some 1985 C/K/G/P Light Duty trucks equipped with a gasoline engine or a 6.2L diesel C or J engine that have an engine oil cooler, RPO KC4, may experience failure of the engine oil cooler hose/hoses. During normal operation the hoses may burst, resulting in a rapid engine oil loss which could result in internal engine damage.
To prevent the possibility of this condition occurring, involved vehicles must be inspected for suspect oil cooler lines and replacement lines installed.

OWNER NOTIFICATION
Owners will be notified of this campaign on their vehicles by Chevrolet Motor Division (see copy of Owner Letter included with this bulletin).
DEALER CAMPAIGN RESPONSIBILITY
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Whenever a vehicle subject to this campaign is taken into your new or used vehicle inventory, or it is in your dealership for service in the future you should take the steps necessary to be sure the campaign correction has been made before reselling or releasing the vehicle.
Owners of vehicles recently sold from your new vehicle inventory are to be contacted by the dealer, and arrangements made to make the required modification according to instructions contained in this bulletin.

Inspect both engine oil cooler lines for manufacturing date code (reference the 1985 Light Duty Truck Service Manual, ST-330-85, for cooler line location). Lines marked with a date code of 2654, as shown in Figure No. 1, must be replaced. In addition, replace the cooler line if the date code cannot be read or if the date code does not appear on the hose section of the line.
84/85, are under an Active Recall that are still in effect, oil cooler lines GM 14061344 and 14061345.
Rubber hoses/metal lines that go across the radiator.
Napa BK 8232229 (upper) BK 8232235 (lower) OR Dorman 625-154 and 625-155
The problem originated with the rubber lines of course but the issue with the aluminum lines was contact with fan housing and time. Wore down the metal and created a hairline leak after 25 years.
New lines get installed with an extra zip tie to keep the contact from happening. Nalley Buick GMC
178 Altama Connector
Brunswick, GA 31525
888-501-2401

Looks like someone beat me to it.

joediveguy

After some discussion with Nalley Buick, referenced above at the GMC garage in Brunswick Ga. Due to the vehicle age, the recall has expired. GM will not replace a defective part on a 27 year old vehicle. I persisted that the vehicle only has 32K miles and has sat for the majority of it’s life. No joy, sorry guys…….if someone has been successful with this, PLEASE, post up!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks