• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 / M1009 CUCV Oil Cooler Line Failure

CUCV85

Last I knew a recall was forever.
Like I stated above burbn10 posts and original and bigduck entertain us with "well I got it done"
like off skintastic well I got it on ;-)
PROOF fellas, share or shad dup :deadhorse:

CUCV85

I just wanted to bring to light a problem for pre-1985 M1008/09 owners. GM issued a recall for these vehicles and the civvy counterparts because of faulty oil cooler lines. I just found this out today when I went down to my garage and noticed the pool of oil on the floor. Thankfully, the line didn't go when I was driving. I did some research and found that there is actually a still-active recall for this issue. Here is the information:

Number:85C14Section:6 & 6ADate:August, 1985PRODUCT CAMPAIGN 85C14 ENGINE OIL COOLER LINES MAY FAIL
1985 C/K/G/P MODEL LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH AN ENGINEOIL COOLER TO:ALL CHEVROLET DEALERS

General Motors has determined that some 1985 C/K/G/P Light Duty trucks equipped with a gasoline engine or a 6.2L diesel engine that have an engine oil cooler, RPO KC4, may experience failure of the engine oil cooler hose/hoses. During normal operation the hoses may burst, resulting in a rapid engine oil loss which could result in internal engine damage.
To prevent the possibility of this condition ocurring, involved vehicles must be inspected for suspect oil cooler lines and replacement lines installed if necessary.

OWNER NOTIFICATION
Owners will be notified of this campaign on their vehicles by Chevrolet Motor Division (see copy of Owner Letter included with this bulletin).
DEALER CAMPAIGN RESPONSIBILITY
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Whenever a vehicle subject to this campaign is taken into your new or used vehicle inventory, or it is in your dealership for service in the future you should take the steps necessary to be sure the campaign correction has been made before reselling or releasing the vehicle.
Owners of vehicles recently sold from your new vehicle inventory are to be contacted by the dealer, and arrangements made to make the required modification according to instructions contained in this bulletin.

Inspect both engine oil cooler lines for manufacturing date code (reference the 1985 Light Duty Truck Service Manual, ST-330-85, for cooler line location). Lines marked with a date code of 2654, as shown in Figure No. 1, must be replaced. In addition, replace the cooler line if the date code cannot be read or if the date code does not appear on the hose section of the line.
Lines with identification numbers other than above are OK and are not to be replaced.

1985 Buick LeSabre V8-350 5.7L DSL Recall and Technical Service Bulletin Titles​

TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title
85C14 JAN 86 Campaign - Engine Harness Contacting A/T Filler Tube
http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/07/85071509.html

I found------>
1985 Chevy Truck Blazer Full Size Recalls and Technical Service ...

www.alldatadiy.comFactory Service Bulletins and Recall Titles
85C1466A AUG 85 Campaign - Engine Oil Cooler Hose May Burst.
85C1466AZ AUG 85 Campaign - Engine Oil Cooler Hose May Fail.

Last edited:

epartsman

Last I knew a recall was forever.
Like I stated above burbn10 posts and original and bigduck entertain us with "well I got it done"
like off skintastic well I got it on ;-)
PROOF fellas, share or shad dup :deadhorse:
Unfortunately recalls are not forever. I work for a Ford Dealership and they have a cap. After 10 years manufacturers are not required to carrry parts or support their product unless it is has a Safety Recall and even those only last for so long before you can no longer get the parts or all registered vin numbers have been corrected satisfying the fed. Ford uses the Oasis System which is similar to GM. If you run a vin and it comes up zip it doesn't matter what old documentation you find the manufacturer will not honor it which is the same thing I was told by the service manager @ Coggin GMC about my 09. They ran the vin and Zip, Nada, Nothing. Too old.

Last edited:

grayw0lf

I tried my local dealership yesterday, Stokes Chevrolet in Clanton, AL. No-go. Just a "We can't pull it up in our system. Well, can't help you. Call Chevrolet."

AllAmerican505

Speaking about oil cooler lines I had a rad core replacement to a four row and they didn't replace the bracket for the oil cooler hold down to the Rad. Now how would I secure the lines. Has anyone fabricated a brack for this issue

cucvrus

Are you speaking of the little Mickey Mouse earred bracket with the 1/4" X 20 nut welded in the center? Easy fix. Or if you need one and are not in a rush I am sure I have a few.

AllAmerican505

Yes the rad shop did do reinstall It so lines just hang free does it have to be speeded or does it just clip?
i had the shop replace just the plugged core with a 4 row instead of 3

cucvrus

maybe dumb question. Did you go back and ask the shop for the part? Was it there when it went there? It is bolted thru the fan shroud and held in place with a 1/4" x 20 1'1/2" bolt. It sandwiches the lines between the shroud and the lines. Good Luck. In the absence of the bracket I used 2 insulated P clips. Same results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks