• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Gear shift knob

drdstny

Banned
I'm sitting here staring at a cyclic stick for an N model huey, I've installed them in several vehicles including a 39 chevy coupe.

Traded this stick to devilman for a set of airhorns, it was out of an F86
THAT'S ABSOLUTELY BAD-ASSIN!

Got more? :)

So when you say "cyclic," could that also mean "collective?" That might work too.

I like mods like this. It's like The Original Green Pride.

AN/ARC186

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY BAD-ASSIN!

Got more? :)

So when you say "cyclic," could that also mean "collective?" That might work too.

I like mods like this. It's like The Original Green Pride.
Yep, still have a couple, not sure if I'll have extra's yet, you'll be the first I let know.

Well, the collective in an H-1 usually has flight idle, engine start, throttle, searchlight functions etc. it's pretty boxey compared to the cyclic.
might be a bit cumbersome for a shift knob.

Attachments

AN/ARC186

Here are some pics of the 39 install, making an adapter for the shifter in the deuce, will post pics when I find my **** camera (I just love moving)
first two are of the stick location, third is the fuse panel and relay center that connect the stick to various car functions, in this case stereo vol, radio tune, cd track, hi/lo beams, turn sig, door releases, trunk release, horn.

Attachments

drdstny

Banned
My friend, that is a Whole Lot of Kick Ass(tm).

Terrific way to combine disciplines. I like it a lot!

So what do the switches do? Line lock, N2O, Afterburners and TailLight Blackout? :)

In my case, the pot/joystick would be good for either a rv-camera or centering the steering. I can come up with uses! :)

AN/ARC186

My friend, that is a Whole Lot of Kick Ass(tm).

Terrific way to combine disciplines. I like it a lot!

So what do the switches do? Line lock, N2O, Afterburners and TailLight Blackout? :)

In my case, the pot/joystick would be good for either a rv-camera or centering the steering. I can come up with uses! :)
The coolie hat is stereo vol, radio tune and turn signals, trigger is horn, switch at bottom is starter, center switch is door and trunk releases, switch next to coolie hat is hi/lo beam

AN/ARC186

Finally got around to installing the new shifter knob. Had to bend the shift lever a bit to make it sit just right. Now just have to connect it up. I went with an old grip from a GAU-17 mount for the UH-1N. Its made of the same materiel as the old shift knob. Replaced the indicator light with a thumb switch so I would have a two switches, the trigger and the thumb.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got plans for one of these at least. They are cast resin of some kind. I was handed a bag with them in it as a gag. Not what I always wanted, but with some grinding to remove the excess at the base, ought to make a nice shift knob. These are decent size about 3.5" tall. I figure 0.5" uranium glass marbles for the eyes and a little paint.

Attachments

Billy Bobbed

Well heres my cheap plastic shift knob I put on yesterday:oops:.I cant aford the real thing,I took this off a F-16 flight stick for a computer.I shot alot of cars on the way home today.Let me tell you it works and fits very well.I'll use it for awhile untill I find one better.

Attachments

Last edited:

jamesfrom180

I have a few 30 MM shells laying around would like to turn them into shifter knobs one day.

But right now the only thing correct on the whole thing is the knobs so they are staying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks