• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Gear shift knob

sp00n

Dumb question time. How are you affixing your custom knobs to the lever? I assume the factory knob is threaded on there like 99% of shifters ever made. Welding (or gluing, if plastic) a nut with the same thread pattern in the base?

SMOKEWAGON66

Dumb question time. How are you affixing your custom knobs to the lever? I assume the factory knob is threaded on there like 99% of shifters ever made. Welding (or gluing, if plastic) a nut with the same thread pattern in the base?
for mine...i drilled out the bottom of the grenade so the bolt i found that threaded into the fuse threads would fit. then i cut off the spent portion of the fuse so it only had maybe 3 rows of threads. then i cut the bolt i found off with like 4 or 5 threads and drilled out the center of it to slip over the shifter threads. then i welded that to the shifter so when i threaded the grenade down over it, it stopped pressing against the bottom of the fuse. then i tacked the bottom of the grenade to the shifter to it wouldnt wobble and break the welds on the bolt. then i used some locktite in the threads of the fuse so that wouldnt turn off. works good for me ;)

theres a pic of the finished product on page 6...i didnt even think about pics when i was putting it on so..none of the work...sorry :(

AN/ARC186

Does a shift knob exist that has the correct deuce shift pattern printed on it? Call me a bore, but I'd love to get a knob that's similar to the original knob with the shift pattern on it.
You can take your original knob to anyplace that does engraving and have the shift pattern engraved into it. A bit of flat white paint wiped into the engraved areas and it will look great.

colelkhunter

only problem with the bugs, my wife would never get in the truck. She is deathly scared of spiders,scorpions and snakes. I like them though. There used to be a kit available that you could melt this stuff and make knobs, ashtrays and paperweights with all kinds of stuff in it. I think it was an acetate blend that when cooled was clear. had a family member that made all kinda of stuff with them.

oddshot

I've been saving this one so long ... I forget what it came out of. I was going to put in into one of my MGB's.

The number on it is:
SIC (or maybe its a "G") 40-62104-1
SM-21225-1

I sat down with it once and mapped out all the wires to the switches... they all seem to work and I saved the chart. I would imagine that you would have to put a relay between the switch and the device to carry the load safely.

Since I'm going to be needing some parts for my Deuce ... I guess I'll put it up on Ebay.

oddshot

Attachments

asgtoolman

I've been saving this one so long ... I forget what it came out of. I was going to put in into one of my MGB's.

The number on it is:
SIC (or maybe its a "G") 40-62104-1
SM-21225-1

I sat down with it once and mapped out all the wires to the switches... they all seem to work and I saved the chart. I would imagine that you would have to put a relay between the switch and the device to carry the load safely.

Since I'm going to be needing some parts for my Deuce ... I guess I'll put it up on Ebay.

oddshot

Let's see ; one trigger for machine gun, one launch button for heat-seeking missles, one button for grenade launcher, one for radar jamming---why not put this in your customized and modified deuce? Should take care of any soccer-mom minivan that gets in your way.

Darwin T

one addition.

Mine is stock as well but I'm thinking of changing it out with an old demilled grenade.

i want to do the grenade mod also, however, i want to add one little thing. on the ring i want a tag that says "Pull Incase of Truck Jacking". :shock: makes people think.

one guy on here (i think) had a button on his dash that said "Push to Test / Release to Detonate" :shock: something else that makes people think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks