• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best Gear shift knob

jamesfrom180

Darwin T Geez man sounds like you need to install ejection seats.:funny:
Gleeser What process did you use? That large a chunk I would think has some major shrinkage in the casting. Looks like some talented work though. Nothing like alittle bullion to bling out the cab. I hope you have a secure place to keep that shifter.

Gleeser

I used lost foam to cast that piece. It's horribly simple. Carve from foam, glue on a sprue, bury in dry sand and pour aluminum on it. I do standard cope & drag sand casting too but some things are easier in lost foam. Especially if you aren't going to repeat them. Shrinkage on aluminum is only 2%. Not enough to matter on anything "artsy". It's probably not as big as it looks in the pic, maybe just a tad larger than a pool ball.

I'll secure it to the shifter. I'm not worried about it going anywhere really.

oddshot

That's on a visual, after working on H-1's for 15 years.
I checked a couple of fotos ... I gotta say you got a good eye!

I put the thing on ebay ... I got NO idea what the "market" says its worth ... I couldn't find any others to go by. I put it up for $150. Probably a bit too much.

but I should have just put it here on classified ... at least I'd know it would go to someone who appreciated it .... and maybe just made a trade for things I need.

I'd rather work out some kinda trade ... and maybe get to meet some more of the Deuce Community in the process.

anyoldways .. we'll see how it works out.

Thanks for the info!!!

oddshot

michigandon

Do any of you guys have (or know where I can get) a couple of those old school tapered plastic (acrylic?) knobs that usually have glitter/metalflake in them? I've googled my butt off and looked on eBay and pretty much came up fruitless. :(

If you drove truck in the '60s/'70s, then you know EXACTLY what it is that I'm trying to describe. ;-)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

JDToumanian

I haven't started a thread for it yet, it may be a ways off..... Since my 3rd Spicer 3053A has now failed, I have been weighing my options. My original and ultimate goal is to have a Detroit 4-53T with ten speed in my deuce. It will fit without moving the transfer case back because the Detroit is not as long as the multifuel and the engine/trans can be moved forward a few inches. I'm probably going to throw in a 4th used take-out Spicer while I source all the pieces to do the conversion, then I can do the swap with minimal downtime. I'm collecting the stuff now.....

Jon

DieselBob

Since my 3rd Spicer 3053A has now failed, I have been weighing my options. Jon
Has it been the same failure or different in each case ?

Neat project. I will be interested to follow along. I always wanted to have a 5X3 or 5X4 transmission in the deuce but a 10 or 13 would be ok.

Last edited:

michigandon

GoinNutts

I like a manual but that twin stick thing is a little to much. I go from my M35 to my m151 to my mustang and every time have to stop and shift gears in my head to remember what I am driving and even then still go from 3rd to 5th in my M35 and can't ever remember where reverse is. That Mack is a bitchin lookin rig!

JDToumanian

Has it been the same failure or different in each case ?
It's been all the common failures... Input shaft bearings, 2nd gear welding itself to the shaft, and 5th gear shattering like glass. The 10-speed will be a close fit without moving the transfer case... I need to do more measuring still.

I'll be starting a new thread when I have some more info...

Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks