Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Restoration (seeking opinions)

Thanks

Default Restoration (seeking opinions)

Probably my first thread starter but you have to start somewhere right. Regardless I'm still in the planning phase of my M35 restoration and I've come across some things that I'd like feedback and opions on.

I'd like to restor my unit to origional status, but there are some ideas I would like to encorporate that diverge from "origional". She won't be bobbed or singled out on bigger rubber, I'm working on another truck for those mods.

However I'm having trouble narrowing down what constitutes an improvement and what is above and beyond..

Things I'm considering;

-Remote brake reservoir
    -Yellow Top Optima
    -Oil pan heater
    -Coolant heater
    -Block heater
    -Cab liner/felt
    -Bed liner
    -OEM paint scheme

Now to me its the theme that matters, as long as I protray what the truck could have been in the time frame, its all that matters.

However, if I show up at a show or rally are those rivet counters (modelers term) going to give me a mouth full.

Just trying to feel out the crowd...

What constitues a restoration?

Please express opinions I can take it, or send me a PM

Jeremy
    "I am become death, the destroyer of Worlds"

1984 M915A1 AM General
    1984 M871 Southwest Truck
    1984 M925 AM General W/W
    1971 M35A2 AM General WO/W
    1968 M105A2 Johnson
    1962 M105A2 Johnson

Thanks

I have been going to the rallies for a long time and I can't remember anyone giving anyone a hard time over their restoration. I say do what makes you happy.
    Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BKubu For This Useful Post:

bulldog_mack13 (01-26-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BKubu View Post
    I have been going to the rallies for a long time and I can't remember anyone giving anyone a hard time over their restoration. I say do what makes you happy.
    What he said.
    A proud member of the Leak of the Week Club.

1966 Kiaser-Jeep M35A2 W/W Hard Top
    1967 Kiaser-Jeep M35A2 W/W Hard Top W/Heater
    1970 Kiaser-Jeep XM817 Wo/W
    1953 Fruehauf M107E2
    1954 Fruehauf M107E2
    1953 Ford F100 (retired USFS truck?)

Thanks

You might reconsider the Yellow Tops. While they deliver great CCA, their poor reserve capacity might not be the best thing for North Dakota. While you won't have a glow plug load, the lack of reserve capacity will lower the overall cranking time, especially in cold weather.

With a 24 volt system, this is most important than CCA.

Another good modification is sealing the cab, especially around the firewall. This makes summer driving much more comfortable.

Thanks

Dude to say what another member can are cannot do to ones truck is nuts ,,,it's yours paint it blue and put a bow on top and call it sweet pea it's yours ........ No really it's in the eye of the guy who hold the title I've seen them all colors , bobbed and chopped singled doubled and with 2 inches of mud on them as a norm .So I don't think anyone will say a thing except, nice truck how long you had it..
    ((( Mike)))

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_J View Post
    You might reconsider the Yellow Tops. While they deliver great CCA, their poor reserve capacity might not be the best thing for North Dakota. While you won't have a glow plug load, the lack of reserve capacity will lower the overall cranking time, especially in cold weather.
    I was looking for the artic battery box. 6TL's are $105 just trying to save a few bucks.

Either way I don't keep batteries in my toys during the winter. If I had a plow for the duece it would eb a different story.

Still feeling it out, atm, yellow tops are a for sure thing. Although I'm considering them for my K1500 as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

Never been to a Rally, forgive the ignorance.
    Jeremy
    "I am become death, the destroyer of Worlds"

1984 M915A1 AM General
    1984 M871 Southwest Truck
    1984 M925 AM General W/W
    1971 M35A2 AM General WO/W
    1968 M105A2 Johnson
    1962 M105A2 Johnson

Thanks

Speaking of plow trucks, if anyone is interested ACTIONFIGUREBOB has a nice deuce w/w that he mounted a snow plow on. The truck is really nice!
    Bruce

Thanks

I've never done the rallies or anything, but from the various message boards, I get the impression that the only people that worry about all the little nitty gritty details are the Jeep MB/GPW crowd. I think that's only because a properly restored Jeep can go for tens of thousands of dollars.

The deuces are big, cheap and plentiful (for now). Do what makes you happy.
    1968 Kaiser Jeep M715 wo/w (restored, sold)
    1971 General Products M35A2 w/w (traded for....)
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 w/w (sold)
    1951 Dodge M37 w/winch (sold)
    1971 M35A2 W/W...current

"a good rule in most discussions is that the first person to call the other a Nazi automatically loses the argument."

Thanks

Optima Spiracell batteries are great for light weight and vibration resistance plus being valve regulated sealed, they handle high temps better than flooded cell. Since these vehicles have isolated batteries from the engine compartment, that one advantage isn't needed. And because there is little vibration, there goes another advantage.

The killer for Deuce batteries is deep discharge. This causes interconnect corrosion, sulfate crystal formation and other near permanent damages.

With a good poly battery box, the best thing for storage is disconnection and a Battery Tender on each. A battery warmer to keep the temperature above freezing and you will be golden.

I tried a Red Top in my diesel. While it worked in warm weather, it did not have the guts to drive the glow plugs for more than 10 seconds with enough left over to start. Swapping with a proper 80 Amp-hour (Red Tops are only 48 Amp-hour) solved that problem.

Thanks

I saw some deuces at the Kentucy NG that they had restored. I loved the look of the camo CARC.

My goal is to repeat that same process and add the following items
    Power Air Assit
    Fix Heater
    New CARC Paint Camo
    Fix Crack windshield
    Change all filters and fluids

Everyone has there own ideas, however i don't like the original Veitnam erae look. I want poeple to think this truck is in the military till they see me start loading groceries in it.
    1971 M35A2 W/W D Turbo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast