• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about buying a mule

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My old Honda Big Red 3-wheeler that I use for odd jobs around the farm is old and tired. I've been looking at the Kawasaki "mule" and the Polaris ranger but then I thought "why not stay with the military theme the farm has and look at a M274 mule?".

One thing that sparked my interest is several reports of mules for $2,000 or less. Trouble is the only ones I've seen for sale they are asking $4,000+. What can a running mule be had for?

I'm pretty familiar with alot of MVs but not the mule. I did drive one several years ago and that's about as much as I know.

Charlie

If you are planning to use it as an everyday work mule, I would suggest that you look for an A5 model. Just keep in mind that they are 40 year old machines. Look for rusted right frame tubes, missing basket/controls, damaged steering linkage, etc.
Mules are very popular right now and a good A5 will run $4000 - $10,000. BUT, there are still deals around. Check municipal sales, volunteer fire dept.....sometimes these folks get a mule from DMROS and then when it quits, they don't know how to fix or where to get parts and it winds up in an auction.
All that said, they are a ton of fun! Good luck!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love mine I have an original 4cyl model. 4wheel steer is a must. I doubt you will find one under 3000 that is in good condition.

emr

Heard of 2000 and less , is just that heard of, and not seen is the key, If any where to go that cheap they would all be gone in seconds, They run from 4500 for something that will run all the way up tp 6500 for something pristine, Now there is always that special buy some one finds, but that is far and inbetween, as 4500 even good luck finding something in that price range, i have found, they would also all be sold in seconds ...I know alot of people who want em, untill they see the prices, they are worth more than a deuce, I wil add I paid top dollar from a friend who did a frame off resto, and have been very happy for 6 years and running, Good luck hope U find a cheapy....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at this thread when I was talking about cheap prices http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m274-mechanical-mule/46636-mule-craigslist.html . This guy was asking $1,800 and everybody said it was too high. I know it needs some work but the price is a long way from $4K.

While I'd like to have a mule I'm not willing to pay $4K+. To be honest there are civilian models when you get up to that price that would be more practical.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
deals under $2K are hard to find but they're out there. I got mine for 1750. Ran good, most parts there, needed seals, tires, etc but it is easy and fun to fix. I've got about 3K in mine now and I'm sure after paint, it'll fetch $4-$6K easy...if I would ever sellrofl

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Mules are like M37's (in my opinion) they have reached the point where they are more of a collectors item than a practical work horse or daily driver. The same goes for the M151 Jeeps and M123's.
They are getting rare and should be restored for parades and displays but not driven every day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't the Mule's somewhat temperamental? Laugh at me if you will, I have a Club Car Turf II and it's so practical it's nearly pathetic. ALWAYS starts easily, gets around real well and tows most of my junk. I have barely $1000 in it and love it. Not quite as manly as the Mule but works wonderfully. Oh, sips fuel at best.

Charlie

"all the way up tp 6500 for something pristine"

Try $14,000 for pristine, $6500 would be a good mid-range price!

Just keep your eye open, deals are out there, but be careful that you don't by a $1800 mule and then spend $5000 on it!

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mules are like M37's (in my opinion) they have reached the point where they are more of a collectors item than a practical work horse or daily driver. The same goes for the M151 Jeeps and M123's.
They are getting rare and should be restored for parades and displays but not driven every day.

Good point Wreckerman.

Like I said above, I was just tossing the idea around and thought I'd see what everbody here thought about it. I appreciate all the comments. :-D

Kenny, I've got an old EZ-GO that I've thought about putting mule tires on it and fabbing up a body to look like an old flat-fender Jeep. Decided it was going to be a bunch of work and kind of put it on the back burner.

jeep-Jeep

I got a dodge dakota from GL for $600 for the beat around at the farm to save the Kawasaki mule and the f350.it starts runs and stops and gets good gas mileage .
also can go to store with it . :deadhorse:

FrankUSMC

My father in law (100%disabled vet) got his mule from Mechanical Mules of America, in the $14000 plus range. He will not tell me how much he ended up paying. Looks purty, pristine?..I "think" it went for about 5 miles before the trans went out in it.
Looks to be a great paint job on a surplussed mule.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty, I know what you mean about the EZ Go. I did put a lift and 22" ATV tires on my cart. Sooo much easier to get around now. I take it to the FL rally every year and I'm seriously considering taking it to the GA rally as a back and forth to the cabin vehicle. Check the 2009 FL rally thread, might be pics of Devilman96s cart. Same as mine but way stoked out!

Nickathome

I disagree with you on the M37. Although my M37 is a play toy to me, it very well could be made into a daily driver if I did a little more work to it. I prefer it to be a fun driver though. As to practicality, I'm sorry but you can't even compare an M274 to an M37. With my M37 I can haul a large load of firewood, or mulch or what have you. I can do that plus I can drive the kids up to the local dairy queen, or to the supermarket for that odd item the wife needs. Or I can just take a drive down the road on a lazy Sunday morning. No offense mind you but I just don't get why someone would pay big $ for a vehicle like an M274 that is so limited in its usefulness. Then again I feel the same way out motorcycles.......

Yes they're rare, but M37's are still not at the "collector item" stage IMO.

Sorry if I highjacked this thread.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off the vehicles I have owned and its a bunch, the Mule is by far the most usefull MV I have had. I use mine almost daily to run around my property and haul loads. It will carry 900lbs of cargo. And for a MV shows it comes in very handy moving stuff about in a small area. The price for a decent mule is well below that of a new ATV type vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks