• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new uh-1e marine helo.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Guys,
Thought I would show you my new addition. 1965 UH-1E Huey.
Really a nice bird. Just bought it and i am going to put it on a boat trailer to tow it 300 miles back to Annapolis Md. I have seen others do it, so I am going to try. This bird last flew in 2005. Its be decladed scrap, removed with the FAA, the forest service removed the data plates. I want to restore it to orginal configuration and tow it to the shows. Looks like the govt spent alot of $$ on it . Everything looks new! Very complete Bird! The shaft to the trans was removed so no one can take it for a ride. (I have it) I plan on runnning it up on the trailer at the shows. It would be really loud and cool!. I plan on using it to raise $$ for the veterans. calanders, shows, etc..One day i might put the driveshaft in and see if it will fly!. I got some pics of it flying with the forestery..
PS, anyone know where to find Green Paint "34097" Beft Mgf co,. for this bird?
I dont know where to start looking.
Also, If anyone has a gun mount, that would be on the list.
Updates next week when i pick it up.
Kevin..

ps, Any history on this bird would be Great!
Serial number # 151858
FAA# N121FC

I can t find a tail number when it was with the marines.
I think 192 were made..Dont know how many are left,..

Attachments

roscoe

Will the FAA not allow it to be restored and flown? It would be really cool if you flew into the shows and you could give rides to raise money. Looks in nice condition in the pictures.

Stalwart

That won't work, I already have agreed to get rid of them all, plus her Gama Goat and the M656, for the HEMTT. At least she gave up something too!

ida34

Will the FAA not allow it to be restored and flown? It would be really cool if you flew into the shows and you could give rides to raise money. Looks in nice condition in the pictures.
He probably could get it restored mechanically and fly it as an experimental. I would bet the thing has most of the major components timed out. They can only fly so many hours before they must be replaced. It could be done. I am surprised they did not strip it down first.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
He probably could get it restored mechanically and fly it as an experimental. I would bet the thing has most of the major components timed out. They can only fly so many hours before they must be replaced. It could be done. I am surprised they did not strip it down first.
I think I read that the main shaft on a Huey has to be inspected every 400 hrs. and 80% will fail at that mark.

Anyone priced a main shaft lately?

Nonotagain

Forget the idea of flying passengers for charity. The liability insurance would be a killer.

Registering it as experimental might or might not be allowed since this would be an attempt at circumventing the original FAA type cert.

Per PART 27—AIRWORTHINESS STANDARDS: NORMAL CATEGORY ROTORCRAFT, there would be a lot of hoops to jump thru, which IMO is not worth the effort.

Your best chance is registering as an Antique. You need to submit paperwork showing that the aircraft is 30 years old or older.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks guys,
I will update you as i go along. I cant register it withthe data plates gone. The USDA did not want the libility..
I might tow it to a friends in N.C. he flys his with no numbers etc., he lives in middle of nowhere and just hopps from farm to farm..He owns 400 acres..Says hes been doing it for years..no problems..(NO CRASHES),..!
pARTS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE ON THIS BIRD. iTS WORTH more in parts than together..
The hour meter says 1400 hrs... maybe since the last overhaul?..not sure..
I will post a movie of us towing it down the road!..Maybe this weekend if it does not snow.
Im hopeing some one will know this bird.. The forest service used it in Fl. I think this is a picture of it flying.
Looking for the poster to confirm its # 21,....
Kevin..

Attachments

Last edited:

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Will rent a tow truck with a long boom, for 30 mins..Pick it up by the rotor head and place in down on the trailer.
The skids will be 5" off the road so it will clear the bridges. Stock height is 12' 6" so the new trailer height will be 12' 11".. Perfect...Tow with the blades on..It will be 8' 5" wide..(legal limit is 12' 6"..)..This all looks good on paper..we will see!..
Kevin..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks