• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new uh-1e marine helo.

colt45727

i have to say that is a pretty cool bird, wish i could get one those some day:drool:. oh yea i found you some sweet guns mounts for ya lol. go to this link and click on the PODS video. all you have to do is get class 2 manufacturing weapons licence and have a good bit of cash too... ;-)

FNH USA - Video Gallery

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin, I have a stack of related manuals including the Operators manual covering UH-1 H/V. Yours if you want them.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great,
Thaks would love them..I dont have hard copies..Let me kown how much,..
Also, sorry guys, I dont plan on flying it..I dont have the $$..Im looking for history, Viet Nam or otherwise..Im haveing a custom trailer made for it..so i can tow it to rallys, fund raisers, wedding, calanders, etc.. anyway i can to raise $$ for our Vets..Its a dream that I have had for a long time...Kevin..Also looking for Gun mounts.. (marine ones)..thanks!..
Helicopter Transport Trailer

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
N/C Sir, just PM me an address and I'll box them up and get them on the way. My little 2cents contribution to your efforts. They may even make good display manuals, got them from a freind of mine who flew them, some even have his name on them.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks awesome! I hope gun pods are in this huey's future to turn it into a gunship like were used often in Nam.

Ewa Marine

Your tail number...Its called a Bureau number in Navy Marine parlance...is the 151whatever number...

Your Huey is a TH-1L, or a UH-1E?

Usually the Marines in 65 used white for the BUNO...two inch numbers.

Google "USAAF font" and download it or have the instatnt sign place download it for you to make a stencil for the BUNO and others. The Marine Hueys had 12 Inch MARINES and a 12 inch diameter US national insignia...

Use the USAAF font and you are GTG.

If you are going to rep a particular squadron, than you might need to tail code with that units two letters...again in gloss white.

The Marine shade of green is VERY different too!
Go on the modelling sites and research the FS number for the correct paint chip.

Dont forget the gloss yellow tail rotor warning band fwd of the vertical fin too!

Have Fun!

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks a Million Ewa Marine!..
You just answered a bunch of questions for me! My ne is a 'E" model..
Just ordered the Gun Mounts for it and 9 shot rocket pods..I will have some pics as soon as i get them. Takes a while..Waiting for the Navy Avation Musium to email me back with info on Vit Nam history, missions etc..Still doin gmy home work to get it right the first time..
Kevin...

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just found this thread. REALLY glad you decided to keep it on the ground. I HIGHLY recommend you do NOT try and run the engine. The T-53s of that era were great motors..but. They must have alot of TLC. The main transmission, the tail drive shaft...you name it. Very maintenance intensive. Now for some real interesting information. First off, I've got 25 years maintenance on helicopters. CH and HH-53s, CH and HH-3s, MH and HH-60s and more important 18 years on UH-1s. The helicopter you have is as you already know a rare piece of history. Congratulations on your find. I can only hope someday I can find something similar. The good news is you gonna have fun fixing it up and showing it. Here's the unfun part: one of the things I had to know was the hazardous materials list for all helicopters I maintaned. As a mishap investigator, I had to locate all "bad" parts and get them segregated so thay didn't contaminate the site, people, etc. The T-53 came with a thorium inlet. Its ignition unit had a radioactive source that would set off detectors like mad. Couple other parts are hazardous to boot, the FM radio panel and a couple gauges have glowing faces for a reason.

If you ever see UH-1s at museums they almost always are stripped of these parts because of obvious reasons.

I gotta beat the dead horse a little more. The rotating and flight control components are unknown. Unknown in the helicopter world equals do not use for any reason no matter what. Even trying to sell the parts for other than display purposes will set of the FAA like a pack of wolves with rabies. I don't want to come off like a wet blanket but I don't want to see someone hurt either.

Good luck with your prize. Check it out thouroughly and most of all have fun with it.

Jeff

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Jeff!
Thanks for the info, good and bad!..I will be using it for static display..Picking it up in a couple days. The trailer is finally finished. This Bird was missing guages like you said, I was woundering why only certain ones. Now i know! I got all the missing guages when i bought the helo..Im not going to sell parts off it eather. Im getting ready to paint it in a few weeks. That bring up a question. I cant find the correct paint. I talked to Bruce at Bell, he told me the correct paint number but I cant find a glossy Olive Drab paint like in the photo. This was as dilivered paint color. The closest thing i can find is # USMC 24052 (semi-gloss)
As delivered, your a/c was painted with a MIL-L-6805 lacquer, glossy olive drab color #1405 (Wade down towards the bottom of the attached). Some info on mil use of OD paint can be found on the link below. You'll see a reference to 1405 that evolved into a number of other configurations and appears to end up as 34087 (color example shown in top chart of the link). The article talks of Army vehicles but, at the end of the day, paint is paint whatever it's applied to. Bruce..
Do they make a Gloss olive drab, what brand holds up?..
I will also post this is the paint section for more input..
Thanks a bunch for your info and Look for me at a bunch of the shows..
ps, the gun mounts are almost finished!..
Kevin..​

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola FL. They have a HH-1K that is supposed to be in original colors. They may be able to get you the information. The CH-53 was painted the same color. The picture shows a faded scheme but it was shiny when it was first painted.
Almost forgot, all the gloss paint jobs MUST be waxed frequently to keep their looks. One of my assignments was a VIP squadron. To keep the gloss, we were waxing and polishing daily. The type of paint we used was called Imron or something like that.

Attachments

Last edited:

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Jeff,
I will give them a call, they had some history on my Bird and maybe they will have some paint info too! ..They fade fast sitting in the sun 24/7..I think the automotive PPG brand is the way to go , in a glossy olive drab..I will visit them with a sample of 24052 and see what they have in Glossy..Put all the data together and make a choice..I gota hurry..Aberdeen is next month!>.
Kevin..

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
srodocker, easy way to tell: back windows, if two is a D model or H model. Single window makes it any one of the following: A, B, C, E, F, K, L, P models. Basically they are two models, Bell model 205 has two windows and Bell model 204 has one window. Doubt it'll be any other models, i.e., N models or Cobras. They're very distinct.

How do I get into the Zombie group? They're starting to move up here out of Denver...:cookoo:

AN/ARC186

The Huey at the Fort Lewis Museum has been there for a long long time, we are renovating the building and had it staged in the inner courtyard, we had to move it so it wouldn't get damaged.

srodocker

ahh didnt know that i just scene it out in the open didnt know it was there...i've tried emailed them saying i can help volunteer but nothing yet...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I flew on UH-1H's and "M" Mike Models for 10yrs...You Bird looks like a "Mike" Model....But perhaps the "E" is a Marine Corp Designation?

We have a Guy who Fly's his Huey into the Tower Park show and gives rides for Donations here in Calif..Here is a Vid of some of the Action. They are based out of Hayward Calif.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOt0XXwkcw&feature=related[/media]

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
srodocker, easy way to tell: back windows, if two is a D model or H model. Single window makes it any one of the following: A, B, C, E, F, K, L, P models. Basically they are two models, Bell model 205 has two windows and Bell model 204 has one window. Doubt it'll be any other models, i.e., N models or Cobras. They're very distinct.

How do I get into the Zombie group? They're starting to move up here out of Denver...:cookoo:

We also Had "Victor" Models as well, These were SAR Birds with Radar Altimeters and Hoists.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks