• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What steering gear to get to add power steering to Deuce?

ida34

I have a pump and mount but what truck would have a suitable steering gear for adding Power Steering to the Deuce?

Thanks
Chuck

hot rod deuce

I used a Saginaw METRIC double piston. has two small pistors rather than one huge one. Kinda helped me with winch PTO shaft stuff.

I think that that is also what "milenium REO" used. If any one has pic's of that guys build up please post them i have another guy looking to do this as well

devilman96

I just went through this... It was not at all fun hunting the box down but it has a lot to do with living in S FL, no one speaking English, and no room (land wise) for actual TRUCK junk yards... I ended up going with the Saginaw rather than the Ross HF54 Gerhard used. Both will run you 400 - 700$ re-man and I spent days looking hi and low for them and Napa does carry both boxes in their heavy truck line if you want to fork over a lot of $, but that defeats the purpose in my being!!! :) I finally found a guy whom had both (had to take a translator with me to Miami).

After comparing the 2 boxes I like the 2 piston better and I agree with Hotrod's deal with PTO shafts. In the end I stepped up one size larger with the Saginaw and bought a reman kit (48$) to go in it. Gerhard had made a comment about wishing he had more pressure on the pump for his and I think its proably more in relation to how the Ross box actually transfers the fluid to power with the single piston. His over all build is the bomb though with a very clean look to boot...

I have yet to do my mounting (EUC clearance would be helpful) but I am hoping SOMEONE here will post some pics of his HINT HINT!! :) The bracket will take some time to build and I will have to redesign the sheet metal under the driver side fender but im a glutton for punishment!!

If you need to reman the pump (I would for the petty cost of it) the seal and bearing numbers are in the Tech section.

Were all greedy little pic mongers around here!!! :) so post pics of what you do...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
devilman96 said:
Gerhard had made a comment about wishing he had more pressure on the pump for his and I think its proably more in relation to how the Ross box actually transfers the fluid to power with the single piston.
On and off road my M35 handles and steers very well and effortless, but yes, sometimes when maneuvering on firm ground there could be a little more "power".
But no matter what steering box system you finally choose, always keep in mind that all that additional power is directed to the wheels through the steering arm which is mounted to the LH knuckle via 4 studs. Those remained stock and it has always been of some concern to me to know how much “abuse” they could take. After almost two years now I can say that everything is still as tight as the first day.
But again, I wanted this setup to be just strong enough to be a good assist but NOT TO STRONG to end up braking those bolts or any other part!

Gerhard

Attachments

hot rod deuce

Ok the pics are comming this time...im going down to the shop and will take some before i go check out the M26A1.

The metric box shows up one Freightliner FL 50 60 and maybe 70. Our GMC "top Kick" with cat power (might make a differnce) also has one with a nice cute pump right on the compresor.

hot rod deuce

Alright....i finaly got you some. They are not much but will have to work till i get back from south dakota. There are a few that dont belong but im in a hurry so it will be an added bonus.

Power steering

New air ride seats for crew cab

One side of crew cab with foam vinyl stuff

Ever seen an M35 with 2 piece 1550 drive shaft?

hot rod deuce

all right....I fought with it when i posted that but i was in a hurry and the pic was too big. I was behind and needed to run so i left it with some one else, i thought they posted them for you when they did that other post....

Attachments

hot rod deuce

nah that looks right but a little differnt than mine. I had to cut some of the ears off the inside to get it close to the fame in order to get the splines sticking out far enough.

Yup i beat ya' on the seats man, thats what you get for taking all the good ideas out of my head :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks