• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M170 ambulance restoration

jimmyparks

I recently purchased a 1957 M170 Willys Ambulance in San Antonio, Texas and have started restoration with Iron7's help. Unit is essentially complete except for canvas, doors, bows, and a few miscellaneous pieces here and there. I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I might find the spare tire carrier and backing plate? Original preferred but a template or reproduction would also be acceptable. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a nice unit. I had my M1010 over there the day Iron7 was picking it up. Unfortunately it was still in the hanger so I didn't get pics with mine. Brent Mullins is having their open house and swap meet March 19/20. Hope to see you all there.

txdodge43man

Sweet I always wanted a M170 glad to see one in such good shape so close to houston Keep use posted on the restoration. It looks like a Marine Corps jeep has the Marine Corps rear bumper and the pictures of the under side of the jeep looks like some old usmc green paint.

jimmyparks

I'm going to paint it using Rapco's 34052 Lusterless Marine Corps Forest Green. Started sanding/cleaning all the tranny covers, etc. and put a coat of kryon rust inhibitor on before finish coating. Amazing the lack of any real rust on this unit.

txdodge43man

Thats what I painted my M35 I think the 24052 Semi Gloss would be more correct for the jeep but both paints were used I have a copy of the USMC paint an markings manual dated 1964 it says that combat equipment is 34052 and equipment that stayed in the rear is 24052 2cents. But your MV you do what you want ether way it will look good.

txdodge43man

Thats the same reason I went with flat paint plus easer to touch up. FYI I used cat yellow for my hood numbers its alittle duller that the original paint but it still looks good.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

February 9th, 2010.

Nice M170! Back in 1977 I bid $1300 for a non running, complete Army M170, and somebody with deeper pockets bid $1500! At that time, one was considered less then sane to bid more then a few hundred dollars on any normal M38A...... The guys that bought them sure have done well on the original investments. I went for an M422A1 Mighty Mite which is still owned by the gentleman I sold it to down in Piladelphia.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

qualityhardware

WOW. I have never seen so little rust on an M170 before. What a great find. Have fun restoring. Good luck finding all the litter hardware and whatnot! David Pizzoferrato has some great pics of his restored M170 on his web site. Great tool for helping out with your own resto.

Here are some pics of mine. It looks better than it is. Still have to pull the body from the frame and do some major repair on the floor panels, c-channels, etc. It was a rust bucket, basket-case when I got it. Body is still Swiss cheese, but runs like a champ now.

Attachments

jimmyparks

May of 2012 just about complete

Have spent the last four weeks with Mariano Vaca in Houston getting all the little details taken care of. New carb, water pump, fuel pump (original), springs, fuel lines, vacuum lines, lighting, etc. Never met anyone who knows as much about the M170 as Mariano!!!

Attachments

jimmyparks

All finished up and taking it out to the hill country in the morning to run it thru its paces, DIRT, DIRT AND ROCKS, STREAMS, HILLS, and maybe a little scotch n water

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks