• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL-1 Gear Oil Alternative

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before we tear shreds off each other, perhaps it is worth asking whether there even exists the one right answer to the question asked about which gear oil is best for the Spicer 3053A transmission. It may well be that there are several options that are not easily distinguished being "better" or "worse".

If there are, indeed, two or more options that can be valid, it creates nothing but churn and hard feelings if we continue to try to nail down "the right one". Thank you.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I apologise if I reopened the can of worms thread. I for one appreciate All of the advice and info here. And understand every decision "I" make, about my truck is on me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

rustystud

Before we tear shreds off each other, perhaps it is worth asking whether there even exists the one right answer to the question asked about which gear oil is best for the Spicer 3053A transmission. It may well be that there are several options that are not easily distinguished being "better" or "worse".

If there are, indeed, two or more options that can be valid, it creates nothing but churn and hard feelings if we continue to try to nail down "the right one". Thank you.
I agree cattlerepairman. That is why I said I did not think running 80/90W oil is bad. I ran it for decades in my trucks and in trucks I serviced over the years. It was after the "great oil debate" that I finally changed my mind.

(last sentence removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

Major Asstyrd

Dizzying thread. Back and forth like a jeep thread about which is better - GPW or MB.

Not a truck experience, but I recently switched the 80w90 GL-4 in my jeep trans and TC and put GL-1 oil in it, marketed as Ford tractor transmission oil. Very inexpensive at Tractor Supply. Took it on a 80 mile road run of twisties, hills, 45 mph stretches. First impression was the synchros worked a little smoother, BUT I couldn't shift from neutral to first at one stop sign without rolling the jeep back a foot, and later it wouldn't go from second to third when driving which has never happened. Double clutching made it work and then went back to working when single clutching, so a random issue. My trans is old and pops out of second so I could have more serious trouble than oil issues. This and reading this thread got me thinking that two of the same models of trannys can be different enough inside so that a lube that works the best in one might not be great in the other.

Katavic918

The reason I use gl-1 over gl-5 in my spicer transmission is because the manufacturer does not recommend the ep additives present in gl-5. These transmissions have had gl-5 in them for twenty years without any issues. That to me is proof enough that gl-5 is safe to use. Assuming yellow safe of course. But just to satisfy my OCD, I will continue to use gl-1 or straight weight 30,40 or 50.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks