Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: M101 A2 & A3 Axle/Spindle Question

  1. #1
    General coyotegray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 84 Times in 41 Posts

    Default M101 A1 & A2 Axle/Spindle Question

    Are the axles and spindles the same for the A1 & A2..?

    Never mind.. Found it in the TM...

    Has anyone ever installed electric brakes on an A1 or A2..?

    I would like to replace the entire assembly from the backing plate out and install electric brakes and use 8 lug wheels...


    Thanks,
    Andy.
    Last edited by coyotegray; 02-14-2010 at 22:03.
    Seabees - We Build We Fight

  2. #2
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    I"m curious too. Subscribed...

  3. #3
    Sergeant RKBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Severna Park, MD
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coyotegray View Post
    Are the axles and spindles the same for the A1 & A2..?

    Never mind.. Found it in the TM...

    Has anyone ever installed electric brakes on an A1 or A2..?

    I would like to replace the entire assembly from the backing plate out and install electric brakes and use 8 lug wheels...


    Thanks,
    Andy.
    I went through this exact situation. Still working on it actually.

    You can physically install standard 12x2 electric trailer brakes on an A2 axle, but the GI surge brake drums won't work with electric brakes - no magnet surface. If you assemble it that way, the raised lug stud mounting area of the A2 hub will chew up your electric brake magnets (ask me how I know...)

    I tried to install off the shelf Dexter electric drum/hubs on the A2 axle by using a non-standard outer bearing (front wheel bearing early F1/F100 pickup). That bearing fits the Dexter standard trailer race (OD) to the A2 spindle diameter (ID).

    It all fit together, and looked like it would work but didn't leave me enough spindle end length to thread on the axle nuts. It is tantalizingly close, but no workie.

    After spending enough cash to buy another complete trailer on just brake parts, I had to throw in the towel and get a regular trailer axle. Honestly, the whole setup is much nicer now. I have standard off the shelf bearings, seals, brakes, hubs, etc. It also is equipped with EZ-Lube spindles for easier maintenance. The 6K axle I bought from ABC Trailer is noticeably lighter than the original as well.

    BUT. The original A2 8 lug steel wheels don't fit standard 8 lug trailer hubs. The GI wheels are GM sourced and have a smaller center hole than every other 8x6.5 wheel on the planet. I just scored some OEM pre-Super Duty Ford 16x7 steel wheels that work perfectly and need to switch the tires out now. Ford, Dodge and aftermarket 8x6.5 steelies all fit fine - just not Garbage Motors. I considered just opening up the center hole a little, but just couldn't come up with a reasonable way to do that in a way that wasn't butch. Local machine shop wanted $40 per wheel. forget about it - complete used wheels are cheaper!

    If someone could figure out how to machine an electric brake magnet surface inside the original hydro style drum, e-brakes on an A2 would be a snap.

  4. #4
    General StreetbikeDepot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chickasha Oklahoma
    Posts
    490
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    Would'nt it be alot easier to get a M116A2 or M101A2 with 8 lug wheels and surge brakes?
    Last edited by StreetbikeDepot; 02-15-2010 at 21:08.

  5. #5
    General coyotegray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 84 Times in 41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetbikeDepot View Post
    Would'nt it be alot easier to get a M116A2 or M101A2 with 8 lug wheels and surge brakes?
    Sure, I have an A2 but would like to add brakes to my A1's..

    Besides, no one ever said that this hobby was about doing things the easy way...

    Andy..
    Seabees - We Build We Fight

  6. #6
    General coyotegray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 84 Times in 41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RKBA View Post
    I went through this exact situation. Still working on it actually.

    You can physically install standard 12x2 electric trailer brakes on an A2 axle, but the GI surge brake drums won't work with electric brakes - no magnet surface. If you assemble it that way, the raised lug stud mounting area of the A2 hub will chew up your electric brake magnets (ask me how I know...)

    I tried to install off the shelf Dexter electric drum/hubs on the A2 axle by using a non-standard outer bearing (front wheel bearing early F1/F100 pickup). That bearing fits the Dexter standard trailer race (OD) to the A2 spindle diameter (ID).

    It all fit together, and looked like it would work but didn't leave me enough spindle end length to thread on the axle nuts. It is tantalizingly close, but no workie.

    After spending enough cash to buy another complete trailer on just brake parts, I had to throw in the towel and get a regular trailer axle. Honestly, the whole setup is much nicer now. I have standard off the shelf bearings, seals, brakes, hubs, etc. It also is equipped with EZ-Lube spindles for easier maintenance. The 6K axle I bought from ABC Trailer is noticeably lighter than the original as well.

    BUT. The original A2 8 lug steel wheels don't fit standard 8 lug trailer hubs. The GI wheels are GM sourced and have a smaller center hole than every other 8x6.5 wheel on the planet. I just scored some OEM pre-Super Duty Ford 16x7 steel wheels that work perfectly and need to switch the tires out now. Ford, Dodge and aftermarket 8x6.5 steelies all fit fine - just not Garbage Motors. I considered just opening up the center hole a little, but just couldn't come up with a reasonable way to do that in a way that wasn't butch. Local machine shop wanted $40 per wheel. forget about it - complete used wheels are cheaper!

    If someone could figure out how to machine an electric brake magnet surface inside the original hydro style drum, e-brakes on an A2 would be a snap.
    What info did you provide to ABC to order your setup..?

    Thanks,
    Andy.
    Seabees - We Build We Fight

  7. #7
    Sergeant RKBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Severna Park, MD
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coyotegray View Post
    What info did you provide to ABC to order your setup..?

    Thanks,
    Andy.
    ordering a custom trailer axle is easy. They need to know what weight range axle you want, the hub face to hub face measurement, and what the spring center distance is. You can order them bare, with brakes, etc. I am pretty sure that the factory A2 axle was 62" hub face and 43.25" spring center.

    I highly recommend the extra ten bucks for EZ Lube spindles - well worth it.

    The 5.2K and 6K axles share the tube thickness; 6K and 7K have the same bearings but the 7K has a heavier axle tube. I used a 5.2k axle, plenty of beef for my application.

    heck, a 3.5K braked axle with five or six lug wheels would probably work for most applications.

    ABC trailer has been a great company for me. They have sold me several custom axles and they are always on top of customer service.

  8. #8
    General coyotegray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 84 Times in 41 Posts

    Default

    Thanks,

    I know what my next project is now..

    Andy..
    Seabees - We Build We Fight

Similar Threads

  1. M101 Dimensions
    By Rubicon51 in forum Trailers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-09-2018, 08:47
  2. M101 question
    By grizcty in forum Trailers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 01:00
  3. M101 question
    By cap-j in forum Trailers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 14:16
  4. M101 Trailer Brake Question
    By Miltrucks in forum Trailers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 23:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •