• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 A2 & A3 Axle/Spindle Question

coyotegray

M101 A1 & A2 Axle/Spindle Question

Are the axles and spindles the same for the A1 & A2..?

Never mind.. Found it in the TM...

Has anyone ever installed electric brakes on an A1 or A2..?

I would like to replace the entire assembly from the backing plate out and install electric brakes and use 8 lug wheels...

Thanks,
Andy.

Last edited:

RKBA

Are the axles and spindles the same for the A1 & A2..?

Never mind.. Found it in the TM...

Has anyone ever installed electric brakes on an A1 or A2..?

I would like to replace the entire assembly from the backing plate out and install electric brakes and use 8 lug wheels...

Thanks,
Andy.
I went through this exact situation. Still working on it actually.

You can physically install standard 12x2 electric trailer brakes on an A2 axle, but the GI surge brake drums won't work with electric brakes - no magnet surface. If you assemble it that way, the raised lug stud mounting area of the A2 hub will chew up your electric brake magnets (ask me how I know...)

I tried to install off the shelf Dexter electric drum/hubs on the A2 axle by using a non-standard outer bearing (front wheel bearing early F1/F100 pickup). That bearing fits the Dexter standard trailer race (OD) to the A2 spindle diameter (ID).

It all fit together, and looked like it would work but didn't leave me enough spindle end length to thread on the axle nuts. It is tantalizingly close, but no workie.

After spending enough cash to buy another complete trailer on just brake parts, I had to throw in the towel and get a regular trailer axle. Honestly, the whole setup is much nicer now. I have standard off the shelf bearings, seals, brakes, hubs, etc. It also is equipped with EZ-Lube spindles for easier maintenance. The 6K axle I bought from ABC Trailer is noticeably lighter than the original as well.

BUT. The original A2 8 lug steel wheels don't fit standard 8 lug trailer hubs. The GI wheels are GM sourced and have a smaller center hole than every other 8x6.5 wheel on the planet. I just scored some OEM pre-Super Duty Ford 16x7 steel wheels that work perfectly and need to switch the tires out now. Ford, Dodge and aftermarket 8x6.5 steelies all fit fine - just not Garbage Motors. I considered just opening up the center hole a little, but just couldn't come up with a reasonable way to do that in a way that wasn't butch. Local machine shop wanted $40 per wheel. forget about it - complete used wheels are cheaper!

If someone could figure out how to machine an electric brake magnet surface inside the original hydro style drum, e-brakes on an A2 would be a snap.

coyotegray

I went through this exact situation. Still working on it actually.

You can physically install standard 12x2 electric trailer brakes on an A2 axle, but the GI surge brake drums won't work with electric brakes - no magnet surface. If you assemble it that way, the raised lug stud mounting area of the A2 hub will chew up your electric brake magnets (ask me how I know...)

I tried to install off the shelf Dexter electric drum/hubs on the A2 axle by using a non-standard outer bearing (front wheel bearing early F1/F100 pickup). That bearing fits the Dexter standard trailer race (OD) to the A2 spindle diameter (ID).

It all fit together, and looked like it would work but didn't leave me enough spindle end length to thread on the axle nuts. It is tantalizingly close, but no workie.

After spending enough cash to buy another complete trailer on just brake parts, I had to throw in the towel and get a regular trailer axle. Honestly, the whole setup is much nicer now. I have standard off the shelf bearings, seals, brakes, hubs, etc. It also is equipped with EZ-Lube spindles for easier maintenance. The 6K axle I bought from ABC Trailer is noticeably lighter than the original as well.

BUT. The original A2 8 lug steel wheels don't fit standard 8 lug trailer hubs. The GI wheels are GM sourced and have a smaller center hole than every other 8x6.5 wheel on the planet. I just scored some OEM pre-Super Duty Ford 16x7 steel wheels that work perfectly and need to switch the tires out now. Ford, Dodge and aftermarket 8x6.5 steelies all fit fine - just not Garbage Motors. I considered just opening up the center hole a little, but just couldn't come up with a reasonable way to do that in a way that wasn't butch. Local machine shop wanted $40 per wheel. forget about it - complete used wheels are cheaper!

If someone could figure out how to machine an electric brake magnet surface inside the original hydro style drum, e-brakes on an A2 would be a snap.
What info did you provide to ABC to order your setup..?

Thanks,
Andy.

RKBA

What info did you provide to ABC to order your setup..?

Thanks,
Andy.
ordering a custom trailer axle is easy. They need to know what weight range axle you want, the hub face to hub face measurement, and what the spring center distance is. You can order them bare, with brakes, etc. I am pretty sure that the factory A2 axle was 62" hub face and 43.25" spring center.

I highly recommend the extra ten bucks for EZ Lube spindles - well worth it.

The 5.2K and 6K axles share the tube thickness; 6K and 7K have the same bearings but the 7K has a heavier axle tube. I used a 5.2k axle, plenty of beef for my application.

heck, a 3.5K braked axle with five or six lug wheels would probably work for most applications.

ABC trailer has been a great company for me. They have sold me several custom axles and they are always on top of customer service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks