• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do you need a TM or manual?

ida34

For those new to the site the manuals for most of these vehicles and other equipment can be found by opening Technical Manuals under the resource tab at the top of the page. This links to the old Steel Soldiers site that has a lot of manuals. Manuals can also be downloaded from the link below. The ones with restricted release will not be able to viewed.

Electronic Technical Manuals Online.

This is the military LOGSA website.

The manuals for like equipment begin with the same numbers.

For a deuce it would be TM 9-2320-361-10. This is a M44A2 deuce operators manual.

The prefix TM stands for Technical Manual. LO stands for Lubrication Order. All the manuals associated with the M44A2 series deuce trucks will have 9-2320-361.

The military has four levels of maintenance.
1 is operator level
2 Unit support
3 Direct Support
4 General support or depot.

The last numbers tell who uses the particular manual

Some equipment manuals are used by all the support channels

The first number is the lowest level that uses a manual.
-10 if for operators only.
-14 is for anyone in the chain from all four levels.
The last number is the highest level that uses that manual.

If there is a 0 at the end of the number it is only used by the one level of maint.
-20 is only for unit level maint.

If the last number is followed by a P then it is a parts manual.
-20P

If the last number has &P added then it is a maint manual plus the part manual all in one.

-24 & P

If there is more than one book to the manual set then the manuals will have the volume number after all the rest of the numbers.

Here is an example

TM 9-2320-260-34P-1

This is a technical manual for the M809 series five tons. It is used by Direct and General support maint. It is a parts manual only with no repair information and it is volume 1.

This was the system when I was in the Army in the 90's. Their may be a new system in place but for most of our old equipment these examples will work.

I hope this helps people out. If there are any questions on how to decipher a manual number please PM me and I will answer if I can.

Also, trucks are lumped into series numbers. M44A2 series covers all multifuel deuce trucks of the A2 variety. M809 series is the cummins 5 tons. M939 is the newer auto trans 5 ton multifuel vehicles. Point being, don't look for you specific truck nomenclature when you look. Look for the series for your truck.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck,
I understood that LOGSA is no longer legally available to the general public and is limited for official government use only.

ida34

I just downloaded from them a couple of weeks ago. Works great for me. I do not have any special access. Again, if you are trying to download a restricted manual such as a NVG manual it will ask for a password.

ida34

I read the security section.

This is the first part.

This is a Department of Defense Computer System.
This computer system, including all related equipment, networks, and network devices (specifically including Internet access) are provided only for authorized U.S. Government use. DoD computer systems may be monitored for all lawful purposes, including to ensure that their use is authorized, for management of the system, to facilitate protection against unauthorized access, and to verify security procedures, survivability, and operational security. Monitoring includes active attacks by authorized DoD entities to test or verify the security of this system. During monitoring, information may be examined, recorded, copied and used for authorized purposes. All information, including personal information, placed or sent over this system may be monitored.
Use of this DoD computer system, authorized or unauthorized, constitutes consent to monitoring of this system. Unauthorized use may subject you to criminal prosecution. Evidence of unauthorized use collected during monitoring may be used for administrative, criminal, or adverse action. Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring for these purposes.

It does not really address who is authorized for access but it also has the following paragraph.

This site is provided as a public service by the U.S. Army Materiel Command and the USAMC Logistics Support Activity.

This implies the site if for public use since it is a public service.

3. Information presented on this site is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is required.

This also implies public dissemination is fine.

I guess it is up to how you interpret these paragraphs. The sensitive stuff is blocked so you must be logged in to get it. My interpretation is that it is OK to view and download the TM's.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read the security section.

This is a Department of Defense Computer System.
This computer system, including all related equipment, networks, and network devices (specifically including Internet access) are provided only for authorized U.S. Government use.
This was the part that concerned me. I suspect, however, that they are not much concerned with the public downloading TMs as they are with the possibility of someone trying to sabotage the site.

48cj2a

This was the part that concerned me. I suspect, however, that they are not much concerned with the public downloading TMs as they are with the possibility of someone trying to sabotage the site.
That is a standard DoD Computer System/Network Banner required on all DoD networks.

You can download many, but not all manuals. The ones restricted from the public require a login to the system.

This morning I downloaded all the CUCV TMs at work and the Handreceipt TM of all the manuals required me to login; that is the least needed in my opinion...go figure.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, Thanks for posting the link. It's still a sticky over at the old site but some members don't know about it.

I like the LOGSA site over the TM section here because it is searchable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks