• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

April 2004, M109A3 the story

charlietango

Have yet to tell this story to anyone other than my friends and family. You guys will appreciate it. (sorry for the links the photo's were mostly too big to upload)

April 20, 2004 Transport rolls in from US VIA Estevan Saskatchewan to Neepawa Manitoba with one Tan 1968 M109A3.
http://www.pbase.com/axoracing/image/43874759
Upon arrival I realized they loaded it with a fork lift from the rear, bent the rear mud flaps. This was done because someone had stolen the axle shafts while it was waiting for transport. Front drivers fender was very bent and all glass was gone. Other than that it appeared to be in good shape! Looked to have been deployed! judging by the color I would say Gulf War. was absolutely full of sand in every crevasse and corner including the air filter tub. :roll:

deuce 002.jpg photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
Tarp over and parked beside my new M1009 (the white ex sheriff unit) the work starts.
deuce 003.jpg photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
days of misc work here and there.. including ordering axle shafts, changing fluids, belts, lights... (this engine is actually in my basement now)
deuce 004.jpg photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
I ordered axle shafts and what came was complete whole axles ! They shipped it in the back of this unit ( deuce 005.jpg photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com ) and when I called they said it was easier to send the whole thing than to remove the shafts.. ooo....k! bonus for me!

All complete it fires up and rolls! phase 1 complete. deuce 012.jpg photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com Running driving Deuce.
deuce 014.jpg photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com test drive successful.

May 2004:
Painted it Green. Used a roller and a sprayer ;)

Arrives a big brother, Mark's Tank (apc) photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com

Got it licenced under the vintage auto class, put my safety glasses on as windshields, did a pre-trip inspection and headed on down the highway. Home is 250KM from the drop yard.

Away we go... driving through neepawa photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com .... and then it happened.
Somehow the oil drain plug popped out. The threads were intact. I had changed the oil and then it came to me. The oil pan was damaged beyond repair when I got the truck. So I had ordered an oil pan. WELL the plug was in when the pan arrived. I bolted the pan on and neglected to check the drain plug for torque due to the fact it was already in and felt tight to the fingers when installed. This is when things got more interesting. Oil completely drained all over the highway. 10KM stretch of oil soaked highway and the chase car not noticing. :cookoo: . All of a sudden I see the oil meter drop to ZERO! So I stop to do a visual as it could just be the contact. first thing I see opening the door is oil dripping off EVERYTHING including the front of the chase car. Their smeared windshield was apparently not enough of a clue to call my mobile to check things out.

We drove the chase car to back to town and found a few bolts that we thought might fit into the drain. Took them back to the truck with a pail of oil. Fit one in, re-filled the oil and fired it up. Now because this happened at highway speed the turbo cooked due to a drop in oil coolant.
The next photo's are me driving back 14KM to the drop yard with the turbo completely exploded and pissing oil right into the exhaust stack.

blown turbo 1 photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
blown turbo 2 photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
blown turbo 3 photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
blown turbo 4 photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com

As you can see the pail of oil I put in did not last long. Steam train willie!

Anyways ordered a new turbo, re-filled the oil and got ready for 'goin home' attempt #2 M109A3 photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com

Stopped in Winnipeg for the night and snapped these photo's
new turbo photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
MOVE IT photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com

Next day, a rainy day no windshields, made the trek from Winnipeg to Woodlands (60KM) homeward bound! .. problem free. (date and time on this photo are not accurate 00270004.JPG photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com )
Welcome party met me there to view the new wheels. Drove it into the yard for me. I was completely soaked other than my lap where a poncho was draped. 00270007.JPG photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com

Put some white stars on her and she was just waiting for glass. Completed the following spring.
P1010053.JPG photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
P1010055.JPG photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
P1010057.JPG photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com

Operated it for 4 years, clutch went and I decided to sell it.

Regretfully it is now bobbed and turning into some kind of monster truck. It was not in bad shape. I kept the box off the back when I sold it and got the trans, engine, dash, battery box, exhaust, generator, turbo, starter, all lights and wiring back as part of the deal.

it was fun while I had it. crappy that it is gone forever now though.

The money I made went to buying the M35A2C and that is my current.
http://www.pbase.com/axoracing/image/91968515
http://Markf.zenfolio.com/p684227/e119f9b1e
http://markf.zenfolio.com/p684227/hf89d337#h744ec9d
My Deuce and CUCV 'working' http://markf.zenfolio.com/p684227/hf89d337#heec2588
new CDN canopy http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/swatt13/Keystone 2009/coldfront149.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

charlietango

yea I was pissed at first but in retrospect it made for a good laugh when I saw the guy's face when I rolled back into the yard. All he said was "CHOOO CHOOOO!" then coughed and yelled to shut the truck off. :driver:

town had no bugs for a month ;)

charlietango

I didnt mention some parts

On the way to see the deuce the first day I blew a fan belt on the 72 chev 3/4 ton. Lucky I had a spare.

then on my way to install the new turbo I got a flat tire on the same chevy.

It was like someone was testing my patience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks