• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problems getting CUCV Key

ida34

Being the responsible person I searched and found the topic with the key codes for the cucv. I then took it to the local Chevy dealer and was told I needed a registration or title for them to do it. They then said something about the "information act" and I assume they were talking about the freedom of information act which would not apply to this situation at all. I explained that I did not have the truck yet and needed the key to pick it up and tow it home. Again he said repeated the previous comment. I then told him that it may be a GM thing but the government was not making him not make a key for me under the freedom of information act. He then said the government said he could not release any information unless he verified I was the owner. I then told him that I did not want any information and I was the one giving him information. He thought I wanted the key code for a specific VIN. I explained that it was the same key for all military trucks and I already had the code. He then checked with the other parts person and together they figured they could do it.
Then they took the vin to find the key blank even though I had it for them. Then came the conversation because they had never had a "d" model truck before. After explaining this to them the figured out that the military blazer was different from the civvy model. They said the key was an A blank and I again told them that it was a b blank. They then said they did not have any of the old blanks. They did call another dealership that had the blank but they said they could not cut the key. I then called the local locksmith and he could not cut it either. He did give me his dad's number and he said his dad may be able to cut it by the code.
We had a pet death today so I did not have time to call around but I hope to find someone to cut one for me tomorrow.

If nothing else I figured one of my fellow cucv owners could cut one and send it to me. I am not quite to that yet. I still have to contact the GL site contact and I hope he tells me he has one that goes with it. I don't take anything for granted even though it does not say anything about not having the key.

gasser

Chuck, I had a local locksmith make mine by the code. I believe it was $7.00 or something like. PM me, I can get one made for you or at the very least get a copy made of mine.

-graham

ida34

Graham,
I will try calling around tommarow I am gunning out of time so if you could get one for me I could paypal you some cash to cover expenses and time.

Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I had a CUCV I sent the code to a buddy that works in a dealership in OH. Not too long after an envelope showed up at my door. Wouldn't you know it the key worked like a dream. I've long since sold off the CUCV but always figured having a CUCV key would be good. I'd run out to Walmart and make a copy for ya but the dang Walmart is so far away and fuel is at $3.00 a gallon here now. Contemplating my options I deciced to take a key off my backup keyring and put it in an envelope. It's stamped, has your address and sealed and will leave with the mail tomorrow. Did I mention the envelope I got had a dozen CUCV keys?

ida34

ida34 said:
Graham,
I will try calling around tomorrow I am gunning out of time so if you could get one for me I could paypal you some cash to cover expenses and time.

Chuck
You know it has been a long time since I had a good day to shoot when I start making Friedan slips like this.

Again, Thanks Kenny. I'll send you a little tribute for your trouble.

Armada

Why does something so simple have to be made so complicated by some 'guy'? I'd tell him to pound sand.
I took the code into a dealer near me and he cut it, and gave it to me no charge. Said "Take it, I can't garauntee it will work". Worked like a champ. That's the kind of service that brings you back to spend the real money.

So you got a cucv Chuck?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, you needn't send a thing, it's my pleasure to send it. All it took was a walk to the wifes office to get a stamp. I didn't even pay for the keys, so just take it on me. Glad I had what you need. Now if we can get it shipped without the carrier breaking it!

ida34

Armada said:
Why does something so simple have to be made so complicated by some 'guy'? I'd tell him to pound sand.
I took the code into a dealer near me and he cut it, and gave it to me no charge. Said "Take it, I can't garauntee it will work". Worked like a champ. That's the kind of service that brings you back to spend the real money.

So you got a cucv Chuck?
I did get the one at Selfridge for $800 and change. My cousin does body work on the side so I figure we can patch up the body as long as this one is complete. It would be a good practice vehicle that I can learn on without worrying about messing up a good vehicle. With your condition report my limit was about $900 or $1000. I also just wanted a beater to take to go trail riding in. Who knows. I see your tranny price is getting lower. I may have to take you up on it. I will know more next week.

On another note, I got the parking brake cable and handle in the other day. It works great. I may have to replace the cable but I really needed the brackets more than anything. I also got my speedo working so I am a happy camper. Now I can see how slow I am going.

Chuck

Armada

Glad the parking brake parts worked out for you.
Congrats on the 'new' truck. Rizzo and I will be down there on Tuesday. If you can make it then, we'll help you load it.

ida34

Thanks for the offer. I am set up to be there Thursday at 12 noon. I went out and used this as an excuse to buy a new electric winch. 10,000 lbs should yank it up just fine. I plan on putting it on a Receiver hitch mount later but in the time being I need figure a way to mount it on the trailer today. What are you guys getting?

Armada

What are you guys getting?

Parts off your blazer... :) jk
I'm picking up a compressor and I think Rizzo's getting tires. Also screening any 'new' stuff.
Good luck with the cucv. Hope it runs good for you.
Did you get the winch installed on your duece yet?

ida34

At least there is no batteries in it. At least leave me enough to winch it onto the trailer.

I still have to take the winch apart to check it out before install and get a bracket welded. I do have all the parts now. I just need time to get it down. To many projects to little time. The parking brake works great now.

floridaboyzx9r

hey everyone. new one to the cucv trucks. got a 86 blazer the other day from pensacola NAS. recovry4x4, could i beg off one of those cucv keys? can paypal you for it if you want. also if anyone has a 12v starter and would like to trade for a 24v starter let me know. i got this for my dad. i picked the lock the other day and the thing started right up and ran great. just got to get a key for it. thanks for any help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks